Author Topic: Release dates for M4A1, Kübelwagen, SdKfz 222, Flak 36, and Panzer IV  (Read 4377 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Rubicon Models has announced that they are working on several projects including the M4A1, Kübelwagen, SdKfz 222, Flak 36, and Panzer IV to name just a few. However, what are the projected release dates for some of these great items? For example, when will we see the M4A1 or the SdKfz 222 kits? The only thing for certain that we know of is that none are to be released for the Q1, 2018 releases.

Are there any approximate release dates for the following kits?
M4A1
Flak 36
Panzer IV
SdKfz 222
Kübelwagen

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
We usually will not announce availability or release dates until most things are done with each project, that is, sprues, decals, assembly instruction, and packaging.  However, due to the confusion with all the blister packs and resin vehicle releases, we are updating the following status per your request:

M4A1 - still under 3d drawing - not even prototypes are available!

FlaK 36/37 - currently queuing up for mould making.

Panzer IV Ausf D/E - TS2 plastic, awaiting QC report for updates.

SdKfz 222/223 - TS5 plastic, should be final version awaiting signing moulds off for production.

Kübelwagen - currently queuing up for sprue layout.

There are other projects close to Q2/18 release as well.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Rubicon Models, thank you so very much for responding to my post. The information you have provided is very informative and helpful.

Has Rubicon Models ever considered creating a "Work in Progress" status bar for their projects? This could be a simple display on the main webpage or maybe a display window (or link) here in the Rubicon Models forums. Something similar to what other companies (models, computers, games, automotive, industry, and so on) have done with some projects they have been working on to complete. For example, you could display the progress visually using a simple bar that reads from 1 to 10 boxes.

Something like this

Spoiler alert:
The values displayed above are only examples and do not express the actual status of a specific project.
Also, the M3 is not a current Rubicon Models project.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
@Tracks: while an interesting idea, it could be misleading (a bit like a the Windows progress bar)
https://xkcd.com/612/

I suspect that progress is not linear (number of test shots required etc varies) and there are inter-dependencies such as competition for tooling etc.

I am sure that Our Gracious Hosts have enormous Gantt charts (or the high tech equivalent) showing the progress of projects.

A sticky with progress information similar to that supplied by Rubicon above for the projects would be helpful (especially for those of us easily distracted by other shiny things).

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
While we are happy to share project progress with everyone, we found this to be a two-edged sword.  It's not the first time other manufacturers are using this information to undermine us with similar projects and disrupt our releases.  We had to be careful regarding what is safe public info and what's not.  Being that said, we never rush projects until we are satisfied with the outcome.  There are just too many outstanding projects that speak for themselves, hahaha!

;)

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Just patience needed.

From start to finish, GW usually spend around 3yrs developing and producing a plastic kit and then they’ll only tell you about it 2-4 weeks before (although they’re coming that trend now).  Rubicon usually releasing things around a year after the initial line drawings are announced is pretty good going, even if they do have less projects.

The one think I am thankful for is the prior information Rubicon provide and it is pretty much unparalleled in the model industry. It gives us the opportunity to improve and to provide Rubicon with more challanges.

Maybe it’s because I used to (and still do consulting wise) in the industry, I don’t mind as much. If they say it’s in progress and it’ll be done when it’s done, that’s good enough for me.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
All very good points.
What Rubicon said about, "other manufacturers are using this information to undermine us" is disappointing but normal. I know I have said something like this before, but it would be nice (for everyone) if companies would just work to together instead of against each other. We can dream.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Very true , Tracks . There is a large conversion going on in the 1/35 scale modelling forums about all the Tiger I and IIs being released these last 6 months , probably close to 18 ( about 1/3 with interiors ) from half a dozen companies . The word is Tigers sell , and company A's Tiger doesn't make money for company B , so they release one ( or a few ) , all wanting a piece of the action $$$$ . If there were  more companies making 1/56 kits in plastic ,  I'm sure  would see each and every one put out their own version of a Tiger , Stug and Sherman M4  ::)