Author Topic: Salute 2018 - Thank You 190415  (Read 9591 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: Salute 2018 - More info... 180412
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 03:58:40 pm »
Drying?

Arent all the kits pre cleaned/washed?
Probably, but I always give them a quick scrub before I start on them.

I have to admit to not cleaning injection moulded plastics - though some modellers do.

The worst case I had was the original Lord of the Rings Fellowship metals, Frodo had a patch of oil or something that needed a serious going over with scourer, even spray paint slid off while wet.

Die Waffenkammer's resin was still a bit slippery even after a scrub with scourer, the area between the driver and gunner on the Comet was a bit resistant to paint.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Salute 2018 - Thank You 190415
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 05:51:29 pm »
Thank for everyone on the forum who had dropped by and say hello; and showing support by leaving some coins on our table.  Is always nice to have a face to your forum name!

Our next show will be at UK Games Expo in Birmingham, 3 days between Jun 1 and 3.  Hope to see you there!

;)

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Salute 2018 - More info... 180412
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 08:08:07 pm »
Die Waffenkammer's resin was still a bit slippery even after a scrub with scourer, the area between the driver and gunner on the Comet was a bit resistant to paint.

Jeff uses a different type of resin than what we’re used to. You have to use an etching primer or enamel primer. But yes, also need very good scrubbing!
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 10:39:44 pm »
Just for peace of mind , give everything a cleaning . 99% of the time things really don't need it , it's usually my greasy fingers leaving marks on the plastic / resin . Note to self , wash hands before handling kits  :-[ . But it's that other 1% that will make your hobby time miserable . I've had a Zvezda kit  ( back in the 80s ) that you could actually see the release agent on it , I had to soak in for about a week to get it clean , and  have a resin turret kit that the paint kept peeling off like chunks of orange peel , finally spayed it down with bleach bathroom cleaner , and it needed 3 coats of primer as well . Extremes , but life is so much simpler if it's clean to start with . With resin it depends also  on how the 2 parts were mixed . Having done my own resin casting , depending on how exact I am , the parts can be hard as rock or flexible like Airfix plastics , those ones hit the trash because  paint won't stick

Lovstrom

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 11:35:29 pm »
 Just out of curiousity. What primer do you use on resin?
I usually use the ammo primers. I would have loved to have a n etch primer but have a very hard time getting it.

Sven

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 12:00:54 am »
I found the Vallejo primers are pretty good . And since the guy who started Ammo / Mig  used to work for them , they all should be about  the same . Now sometime stuff needs 2 coats , but the V primer is thin enough so it dosen't fill in small details like some thicker primer do

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 12:07:31 am »
Plastics and resin I use the plastic Soldier Company primer.

For JTFM resin I use a Halfords enamel primer first.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Lovstrom

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 12:43:10 am »
Thank you. I guess that Halford is a spray can.
I used a lot of etch primer for my 0 gauge trains.
Unfortunately spray cans are now restricted so impossible to get to me here in Cyprus.
Sven

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 05:48:20 am »
Thank you. I guess that Halford is a spray can.
They are a UK car parts and bike retailer, they have an own brand range of spray paints.

I tend to use their acrylic sprays for resin buildings etc (bigger cheaper cans).

Games Workshop sprays for figures and vehicles, with PSC, GW or Army Painter for base coats when available.