Author Topic: Deuce and half possible add on sets  (Read 3218 times)

somtec

• Private
    • View Profile
Deuce and half possible add on sets
« on: December 26, 2017, 03:10:36 am »
Any thoughts on these add on for the deuce and half.

Quad 50

Radio shelter

The quad 50 could also be seen on a trailer, the radio shelter usually had a generator trailer in tow.

Got to be honest thinking as a modeller rather than a gamer , dont know if they have a place on the games table
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 03:03:42 pm by somtec »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: Deuce and half
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 06:35:51 am »
The title confused me for a moment.

Is it this quadmount?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M45_Quadmount

This is the same set as the M16/M17.

This was mentioned here:
http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=133.msg1227#msg1227
  BTW, our design won’t allow us to convert the M3 into a M16 MGMC because of the way the rear troop compartment was modified to fold down.  Implementing the M16 option would mean giving up our slide-mould design.  Being that said, we may still produce a M16 someday!
So that is something that might be part of the same process.

The radio shelter might be something made from resin.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 04:07:40 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Deuce and half
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 07:04:04 am »
Yes smurf , its the same gun mount . It had it 's own battery power for elevation and traverse  when used on the trailer  .  Probably hooked up to vehicle power when mounted in truck or half track . Because it used those large " tomb stone " style ammo boxes , the sides of the half track had to fold down so the 4 gun version  could traverse  . M 16 built on M3 , M 17 built on M 5 . The Brits remove quite a few gun mounts and used the M 17 as personal carriers . I think it would make a nice expansion kit , extra M 16 hull ( Rubicon already as an extra hull for the M4 mortar HT ) gun mount , ammo cans crew and trailer .  I ' ld  buy one .

somtec

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: Deuce and half possible add on sets
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 03:08:20 pm »
Hi there was a later version where the quad 50 mount was added to standard hull m3 with the addition of another riser to enable it to clear the sides.
Ive adjust the title

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 04:22:34 pm »
Thanks Ripley.

I built the Matchbox kit way back when, but remember little of it.

@Somtec: that is going to be some pedestal extension to clear the sides, I have just looked at the assembly instructions for the M3/M3A1 Half-track.

Of course if there is going to be a new hull, an M5 half-track would also be nice.

somtec

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 05:52:00 pm »
Yep also built the matchbox set way back.

A new hull for m5/m9 would be great lots of users and uses. Would only really need 3 new pieces the hull and parts 15 and 24. from the m3 set.

Probably only need another sprue to do the quad 50 mount, the extra ammo stowage and trailer to fit on the gmc  add this to the m3 set and you get an m16a1.

The trailer set could then be sold as a stand alone kit.

The gun mount is sat on a false floor level with the bottom of the fuel tanks, so instead of using the seat part 4 a flat piece would be needed.

Heres a link to a restored m16a1
https://leicestermodellers.weebly.com/m16a1-multiple-gun-carriage-converted-m3.html