Author Topic: The Krupp-Steyr Waffenträger in resin  (Read 16694 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The Krupp-Steyr Waffenträger in resin
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 05:33:14 pm »
I did not have any instructions

Seems like there is a packing error. After your report, we have checked all our packaging for the Waffenträger, there are no instruction but have included a French vehicle decal sheet (which should not be there).  We are now addressing the issue.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 05:41:50 pm »
Here is the instruction in case someone needs it...

;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 08:26:00 pm »
Thanks.

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 09:53:01 pm »
 I have to say that the instuction leaflet did rather leave you to intiut what went where, though the very low parts count meant this mattered rather less - still, pointing out where the gun mount attachments went would probably have been helpful (it only became apparent once I looked at the larger images on this thread - still, great model).
 The inclusion of the French decal sheet was a surprise, I suppose I'll have to get some french vehicles to put them on now!
So, has anyone thought about their colour scheme?
UVS, as the great sage once said, "the world is your lobster".
I suppose it depends if you want to represent the prototype pushed into service, or a 'prodution' model. The photos of the actual vehicle, being B&W don't really help - it's a uniform colour & if I had to guess I'd say it was either the Parkerised anti-rust finish (a pale grey as depicted on the Trumpeter model's box art) or that plus the ubiquitous red-oxide primer. The very dark finish at the gun's pivot point is anyone's guess & the gun barrel seems to be Dunkelgelb, probably taken from an existing vehicle or towed piece.
 Here's a nice scheme on an earlier version in a Resedegrun base with Dunkelgelb patterning (broadly the scheme I plan to steal).

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:57:39 pm by Ballardian »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 10:24:22 pm »
If it's  going to be a late war " 47 " type vehicle , how about borrowing the urban cammo used on the Berlin Chieftains ?

Oh course UN white would look good as well  ;D

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 12:37:16 am »

I also have a question - does anyone know how the shell splinter screen would have attached to the turret (on the real vehicle).
 I've never seen a picture of the prototype with one, so I wondered if anyone was familiar with the 1/35 kits out there & did they include one, showing how it was attached (hinged at the front or back or might it have split like those found on armoured cars) ?

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 01:05:15 am »
Looking at the pictures in Enc of German Tanks WWII , it doesn't seem to have a roof . I would think that it would have just a tarp over the top . IRC the gun sight was a periscope type  ( like in Stug / Nashorn ) not in the the mantlet  so itw ould need sliding plates to move with the sight if roofed ( like Hetzer ) . Plus how would the crew get in this thing ,? No hatches in turret side or rear  . So its like the Whirbelwind , just  climb over the sides . This is a late last ditch , type of vehicle , tested Apr. 27 - 1945 ?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 05:13:59 am »
The Bradford book has the gun shield type with a sight through the shield.

My thought is to put in traversing and elevation wheels and a sight.

The sight only needs to move vertically (unlike the casement mount tank destroyers). Not sure what would happen if you fired a broadside!

The top cover would give you appalling situational awareness.

You could use it like the lids on M36s.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 10:05:03 am »
A couple of versions made , this one by Ardelt  has  open gun crew area  like a Marder III , gun sight through shield

The turret version was made by Steyr , note gun sight protruding above the turret top and no sight hole in turret front

These turrets are full width of the hull, the kit turret turret is smaller , was there more than one style of turret? There are pictures of few different open gun crew shield  versions , maybe all one off test models ? Maybe the same with the turret version ?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:11:59 am by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 03:30:58 pm »
The turreted one looks like it is on a different chassis (asymmetric glacis).

Acting Panzer implies it is based on the 38(t), the photograph matches.
http://www.achtungpanzer.com/entwicklung-series-standard-series.htm

The problem is that it has had the background removed so any sights above the turret may have been lost.

There is a small photograph on the Heer46 site for this model:
http://www.heer46shop.de/49367//krupp-waffentraeger--156
But there is a lot of background clutter above the turret. It looks like the original of the Trumpeter box art.

Any kit photographs of course could just be repeating earlier errors.

Nonsolopanzer has some of the Trumpeter instructions but not the turret ones, the assembled turret has no sight hole in the turret.https://nonsolopanzer.com/2015/11/14/krupp-steyr-waffentrager-mit-pak-43-135-trumpeter-kit-code-02347/

There is a photograph of the Trumpeter turret basket here:http://www.panzer-modell.de/berichte/krupp-steyr-wt/ks-wt.php
He also mentions Panzer Tracts Issue 7-3 which might have information (the site is in German and Google barely translates it).

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 04:12:04 pm »
Okay I have found a review of the Panzer Tracts with the following information:
"8.8 cm Waffentraeger" actually covers 4 different vehicles.
"Steyr" covers a Steyr chassis with Krupp gun. Only a prototype was built. There are 7 photos and a 4 view plan.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 08:19:51 pm »
Yea some pictures show two driver hoods , some only one . Guess the 4 versions were probably 4 different companies prototypes , and from certain angles in the pictures they look alike ( at least to me ) . Wouldn't be surprised if they even swapped turrets around to see what worked best .

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 09:41:04 pm »

I've never found a photo of the Krupp-Steyr version with the splinter screen (the only ones I have seen seem to have been taken on a single occasion, given the background, lighting etc.)  - but have seen a drawing from early in the design stage (if I can find it again I'll add it to the thread). As it would appear that the Trumpeter kit doesn't include it it looks like no answer can be forthcoming.
UVS - in the form presented it'd definitely prevent anyone seeing out of the vehicle - but as it didn't seem to feature on the prototype, what form it'd actually have taken is anyone's guess.
 Do you think the crew from the plastic WG Marder would fit (perhaps with a little alteration?)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 10:37:25 pm »
@Ballardian: that might work, though you would probably need to build a turret basket of some kind. The gunner would then fit from below. The loader might fit from above if you fix the gun and have the loader with the round part in the breech. The U shaped piece (below the gun in the photograph).

Does occupy a lot of the space, fitting a commander in would be difficult.

I will try and put something together later and photograph it.

Thanks for the photographs. Is that a cable hanging off the back of the turret?

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:42:55 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2018, 01:12:11 am »

UVS - yes, there appears to be a cable that is either draped over the vehicle or is coming out of the turret - either way I don't think that it's part of the vehicle.
 Interestingly, in the background of the second picture you can see the guns from at least two others - they appear to be awaiting mounting, with one on one of the typical turret rigs.
 I really would like to fit some turret crew, (giving the model more 'life') so two crew, who appeared to sit quite far forward in the turret on either side of the gun are going to have to be jammed in there somehow.
 I don't know whether the commander would be turret crew (& hence doubling as loader or gunner) or in one of the forward positions - there's certainly not room for three in that turret.