Author Topic: US T2X series prototypes.  (Read 8688 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
US T2X series prototypes.
« on: December 13, 2017, 03:18:15 am »
While I was building the M4A4E8, I had placed the turret on the chassis while I wa working on the upper hull.

What intrigued me was its resemblance to the T2X series of tank prototypes, especially the T23 (the source of the 76mm turret).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T20_Medium_Tank#T23_series

This would be an interesting composite model, using Sprue A and D for the turret and tracks and a resin upper hull and transmission cover.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 03:45:33 am by ultravanillasmurf »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: US T2X series prototypes.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 03:19:53 am »
Okay, just spotted the chassis is the other way round...

Just a thought.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 05:30:22 pm »
There’s another manufacturer who will probably be doing this at some point next near.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 04:13:54 pm »
I wonder if you could interest Heer 46 in one of these.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 02:04:41 am by ultravanillasmurf »

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 01:59:15 am »

Have always rather liked the look of the T23, so if someone's going to be producing paper panzers other than German I'm glad to hear it (how about a T14, an A33 or one of the monster heavies T29/30/34?).
 I suppose it's not that surprising that it never went anywhere, after all its advantages over the M4 (lower profile & potential for a better armour distribution) weren't enough to cancel out having to create new medium tank production lines, impacting the production of existing & much needed designs.
 But there's also this - 1940's drone tanks anyone?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 02:06:37 am »
True, T34 syndrome.

The  Soviet T26 had a Tele tank version.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 02:10:01 am by ultravanillasmurf »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 10:48:14 am »
That's rather cool, UVS.  The T20 used an early HVSS suspension, so that would be an even closer match to your mock-up.  I think the main problem with the various experimental Sherman replacements is that the vertical volute suspension was inadequate for the weight.

It would be good if tanks like this got some attention in addition to the 'paper panzers'.  World of Tanks puts more obscure tanks like this on the battlefield, and although it's all rather silly it is cool to see vehicles that never got past the prototype stage rolling around a virtual battlefield - like the Australian Sentinel, and the various (aborted) US heavies.  Maybe with the success of that game, model manufacturers will get more adventurous with their choice of subjects.  Once they've covered the vehicles that actually saw service, that is.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 04:19:17 pm by Pinky »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 11:26:08 am »
 While an interesting looking tank ,  the Sherman heritage can be seen in it , plus some features that were incorporated into the M26 . I think a Ram tank , something that actually got made in the low hundreds rather than a prototype of 3 different version would be  a better model to produce . That being said , I think with enough spares from Rubicon kits ( engine deck , wheel sets ) ,etc a kit bashed version shouldn't be to hard for some of us . I think the big problem would  be finding 4 or 5 view pictures and diagrams to get the details right . Would the Hunnicutt Sherman book or maybe the  Son Of Sherman book have that info ?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 04:34:23 pm »
True. The key problem with the suspension is that it has sprocket at the back so tread detail needs to be removed and replaced as well as the track+bogies sectioned and swapped.

Company B do a Sentinel and a Ram turret for the Warlord Ram Kangaroo.

I think when the M4A1 comes out, we can start asking (again) for the Sexton (II?) as a plastic kit with a possibly resin side order of Ram as a tank (I am sure I have seen photographs of the tank as OP etc) and as a Kangaroo.

I would much prefer a Sexton and  Ram to a T2x of course, but the chance to reuse the CAD and the T23 turret I thought would be worth a look (inspired by the T26 and BA).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 04:43:25 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 04:52:50 pm »
@Pinky: is it worth starting a Non German Paper Panzer thread on the wish list sub forum?

Bonus points for an alliterative title ^__^.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 04:54:47 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 07:13:30 pm »

4 or 5 view pictures and diagrams to get the details right
Ripley, ask & ye shall receive;

Here's one with HVSS, in this case the T25:

There are also the variations where they tried torsion bar suspension (which they were concurrently experimenting with on the M4 also) - making it resemble more than anything, the M26's little brother.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 08:29:52 pm »
Funny , the loaders hatch on the turret in the drawing looks very British in design ( Cromwell / Churchill style ) . IRC never seen a produced  US tank with that style / shape , I wonder if the US had Brit input during the design phase ?

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 09:30:54 pm »

The rather British looking loaders hatch is interesting, maybe a consequence of the development work done on the abortive T14 (since that would have been destined primarily for us).
@Ripley - the T2X tanks are covered in the Hunnicutt Pershing book - I'm afraid that I don't have it (will have to remedy that). Has anyone got it - & does it clear up UVS's question? Some of the blueprint diagrams from that book are online (the one I put up was an example) & there are other images in the book where the loaders hatch is the more familiar early T23 turret split circular version. It seems to be par for the course that you seldom get photos of tanks from above - I suppose as it would require a gantry, or at the very least a ladder to get them.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 12:55:36 am »
I’ve got the hunnicut book. What did you want to know?
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 01:01:47 am »
I have it too.  No explanation for the "British-style" loader's hatch; it appeared on the T20's turret.  There are actually a ot of photos of the top of each type - the Americans photographed their prototypes thoroughly.

Changing the subject slightly, I'd love to see a model of the French ARL-44.