Author Topic: What's Warlord up to?  (Read 88289 times)

Jimmy_P

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: What's Warlord up to?
« Reply #195 on: February 11, 2019, 08:50:28 am »
Quote from: Rubicon Models

The problem with WLG is not about giving feedback to the manufacturer but the lack of knowledge and resources to commit themselves to work on these development projects.  Maybe not with Italeri but even under their own brand, they are not able to follow up their projects properly... don't think those people in-charge knew anything about tanks.  WLG is a trader, not a manufacturer, tbh.

I would be surprised to hear if they check the work of those they make contracts with. They ask Italeri, PSC, or SG to produce a plastic model kit for their Bolt Action line, and (possibly) don't bother to check it later. Most likely because what you (RM) said. WLG is a trader and not a manufacture. Even if they did have someone on their staff that could check the details of contracted projects, would they? They are probably trusting in the expertise of the companies they are making the project contracts with.

They haven't even corrected the box of their plastic Marder III still, pretty sure they must know by now it's the wrong variant by now but obviously aren't bothered about it...

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 11, 2019, 09:16:30 am »
I disagree . I think it's great that a 1/56 scale Matilda will be released in plastic. The kit only has two options, a 2 pounder and a 3"close support howitzer, but what other options would be needed to wargame with? There were only six options listed on the previous page, I think two out of six options aren't  too bad.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:19:49 am by H0ffmn »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 11, 2019, 11:32:04 am »
I've read that the only options are the gun barrels , I assume its just the basic 2 pdr ( of which there were 2 types )and the 3 inch howitzer . Who knows , there might be the flame thrower barrel in there to make an Australian Matilda Frog , but I won't hold my breath , any way its an easy kit bash for those of us so inclined to roast some Jap bunkers . Guess they could also include the internal lmantle with the co ax Vickers MG for a early war tank . You got options for 4 different versions in Char B kit  , why not give the Brits the same amount of love ? ::)   The problem being IMO is that Warlord are very closed mouth on new plastic kits , not showing the kit in development or the sprue shots when its released . Of course , since they let others design and mold their kits ( Italeri , PSC , & SK ? ) , maybe the rank and file Warlord dudes have no idea whats in the box . We know  well before release , what Rubicon have included in their kits, and they are interested  in   our feed back on their CAD diagrams and proposed sprue layouts .  Warlord tend to push on without regard to those who point out mistakes or omissions in their kits , Jimmy P's comment about  the Marder box as a case in point  .

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #198 on: February 11, 2019, 04:11:09 pm »
I disagree . I think it's great that a 1/56 scale Matilda will be released in plastic. The kit only has two options, a 2 pounder and a 3"close support howitzer, but what other options would be needed to wargame with? There were only six options listed on the previous page, I think two out of six options aren't  too bad.
I too think it is good that there is a Matilda in 1/56, it is just such a missed opportunity to be able to cover France 1940, North Africa and the Far East in a single kit. The key disappointment for me is there is no mention of engine options and no Vickers MG. I can understand there not being a high heels option, and the bustle is not much of a problem, but the difference in the external exhaust is as noticeable as the difference between an M4, an M4A2 and an M4A3 engine deck.

I get the feeling that Warlord's procurement methodology has not altered since the days of plastic card and milliput, they ask a supplier to design a model for a fixed price. They might supply some standard parts (YMMV) but they leave the supplier to their own devices. Once they receive the model, it is the final thing, no possibility of revision.

Rubicon has the advantage that it is an in-house development process (with us looking over their shoulders ^___^).

There is no obvious improvement plan in their models. As Ripley pointed out, there are a number of options for the Char B kit, there are none listed for the Matilda.

With the 80th anniversary next year, it seems stupid to not have a suitable option for France 1940 in the design spec.

It does make me think twice about buying the Bumper Box of Matildas, and waiting for the single box.

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2019, 12:14:42 am »
The Warlord kit is a great example of a missed opportunity. And that is a shame.

If wargame model makers just wanted a "thing" to put on the table, then we would get the following products:

Sherman
Panzer III
Panzer IV
Crusader
Matilda

Etc. No need for variety. Just one model to be the substitute for whatever it is you are fielding.  But we have moved far beyond that. Gamers want the differences on their Panzer III (for example). And some kit makers (Rubicon leading the way here) are delivering this variety.

I really am surprised that Warlord continues to be so hit and miss. If they pay a flat fee for the modle to be sculpted, that may save money. But if the vehicle serves one (of six possible options) then their sales must surely take a hit. I would think it would be MUCH better if they worked with the sculpter to get more options (if possible) on those sprues.

From my perspective, Warlord is turnout out "toys" for gaming, and occasionally get lucky with a more varied kit). Rubicon is turning out "Models" that can be used by gamers and model makers and diorama builders. Their kits are generally more accurate, with more options.

It's a shame that Warlord are not more interested in raising the bar when it comes to quality.

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 12, 2019, 06:19:30 am »
I still want one. Don't really care if it has the wrong number of rivets between the Mk.I and MK.II

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #201 on: February 12, 2019, 04:35:55 pm »
I will still get one for my Perry's Eighth Army, just not for the France 1940 (though that is on hold due to an issue with the figures I was going to use - hint: BEF 1940 hint).

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #202 on: February 16, 2019, 02:42:51 am »
Okay, Warlord have released the individual tank.

What is noticeable on the rear box "art" is the presence of an optional bustle and the two exhaust systems.

There does appear to be two different cupolas (YMMV).

Whether this reflects on the contents is another matter.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2019, 04:24:59 pm »
For those who wanted to see what the WLG A12 Maltilda sprues looks like, here it...

Enjoy!
;)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2019, 04:41:58 pm »
Quote from: Rubicon Models
For those who wanted to see what the WLG A12 Maltilda sprues looks like, here it...

That is interesting. Taking a picture of the instructions instead of the actual sprues. Whatever works.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2019, 08:33:19 pm »
Interesting . So two turrets and gun mounts but only one commander's hatch , that's another winner .... ::)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2019, 11:56:07 pm »
What's going on with the side-skirts?  It looks as though there are 2 types. 

The kit looks rather good. 

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 01, 2019, 02:32:34 am »
Parts 2 & 3 look to have the wheels more visible ( lowered wheels - BEF in France for more ground clearance ) plus IRC there was a difference in the mud shoot door hinges ( internal vs external ) , but what's with part 4 & 5 looking like it has molded track and parts 2 & 3 having seperate track ?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:28:21 am by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #208 on: March 01, 2019, 04:04:36 am »
Thanks, that is interesting.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 01, 2019, 10:10:18 am »
Interesting . So two turrets and gun mounts but only one commander's hatch , that's another winner .... ::)

There is only one turret base, so you can't build two turrets. They do not want you to have that option. They want you to buy more than one kit instead. Something Rubicon Models sometimes does not do to us, which of course makes happy customers.

On a related subject, but different, a long time ago I told my gaming buddies I wasn't interested in starting to building a British collection until a Matilda II was available in a plastic model kit - that ugly resin one I bought a long time ago put me off from collecting British. I wonder if my buddies remember that statement.  :P

For British, we are starting to get a pretty good selection of vehicles in plastic kit form. Off the top of my head, let's see, we have the following vehicles in plastic:
- Matilda II
- A15 Crusader (Rubicon Models)
- CMP 15cwt Truck (Rubicon Models)
- Commonwealth Jeep (Rubicon Models)
- Firefly
- Churchill
- Cromwell
- Bren Carrier
and all the American vehicles the British used.

Did I miss anything?