Author Topic: What's Warlord up to?  (Read 86570 times)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What's Warlord up to?
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2018, 08:47:24 am »
I'm thinking the BA Flak 88 is a re scaled 1/48 Italeri , it didn't come with a crew . Funny enough , Italeri (or maybe it was Tamiya ) re boxed it awhile go with a bunch of Tamiya 1/48 German figures and ammo boxes , but they aren't the 3 round wicker boxes usually found with the 88  because Tamiya dosn't make them , and the crew were just various Tamiya  Afrcka Korp figures not actual gun crew figures .Epic fail IMO

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2018, 10:17:13 am »
A couple of the Perry US troops  WIP posted on Beasts of War

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2018, 10:47:33 am »
These must be a replacement for the current US Army figures.  They do look better.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2018, 12:10:13 pm »
Supposed to be the M43 pattern uniform , good for North Africa , Italy and was wore in Europe by some units till the end in 45 . Should be a nice set , 3 sprues of 12 figures ,( 3 kneeling , one prone per spue ), plus a command sprue of 4 figures . Do Perrys fit in with Rubicon's style of figures , I know Perrys  look odd with the BA heroics ?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:59:08 pm by ripley »

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2018, 02:09:36 pm »
These must be a replacement for the current US Army figures.  They do look better.

They’re the perry ones, not warlord. Although warlord are releasing new US infantry soon.

Scale wise, it’s not too bad. If warlord is heroic and rubicon is true, Perry is somewhere in the middle towards the true side.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2018, 10:53:11 am »
I see - no wonder they look better than the current Warlord US Infantry.  I assume we won't see them released in less than a year.

I think Rubicon have modelled their figures on the Perry dimensions.  They're not true scale. 

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2018, 03:25:29 pm »
Warlord US infantry is out in the next month or so and the Perry ones, we’ll they only had 2 greens done and it’s a side project so let just say “at some point”.

Rubicon infantry aren’t the same as the perry for scale, they are noticibly more slender and to scale. That said, I think you can easily get away with mixing and matching Rubicon and Perry without too much issue.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Eclaireur

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2018, 06:12:52 am »
The Warlord email today had some photos of their new US infantry so they will be available very soon. They looked like an improvement on the old box, eg a single sprue having the men + weapons, less odd crouching poses. Alas the heads and weapons still look pretty big or 'heroic' as elias delicately put it.
I am really keen to see the Perry box but alas it could easily be a year before we do, as Pinky says, given most of the greens are yet to be created and the backlog at the mold makers
EC 

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2018, 03:05:03 pm »
I got that email as well.  With apologies to Rubicon for continuing to discuss Warlord's figures on their forum, I am not sure how the new US infantry are a real improvement over the previous ones.  As a separate point, I wish they would include at least 1 figure on each sprue that isn't wearing webbing, which could be used as an officer or tank crewman.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2018, 03:13:48 pm »
This forum is open to any discussions and we are not afraid to face the competition head on!

Here is the new US Infantry sprue, a much improved single sprue with figures and weapons...

Enjoy!
;)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2018, 03:25:07 pm »
On the same newsletter, they also announced the 88mm Flak 37 and two plastic bunkers...  For us, all three are a BIG letdown for their player base!

It seems like the Flak 37 is a scaled-down version of the Italeri 1/48 plastic kit and without the trailers.  It also comes with 7 METAL figures and we assumed these were from their old FlaK 37 metal kit...

Again, these plastic bunkers are repackaged Italeri kits. WLG claimed they are 28mm (1/56) scales, but in fact, these Italeri kits are 1/72 as listed on their website.  Again WLG is misleading the player base into thinking these bunkers are correctly scaled... just like the stone bridge and dragonteeth they marketed earlier!

Enjoy!
;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2018, 04:25:16 pm »
Do not forget the ruined building (not the ruins set). I have one partially assembled somewhere.

Italeri had it as a new item on their stand [edit - in 2016] and it is referenced somewhere on this forum.

http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=376.msg3199#msg3199
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 04:30:18 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2018, 04:41:20 pm »
Those bunkers look like they are both half of sets of paired bunkers (unless they can be built left and right handed). I have my suspicions about the flak gun on the bunker, it looks a bit small.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2018, 06:03:14 pm »
Thanks, Rubicon - those figures do look better.

Italeri's plastic wargaming terrain is actually pretty good, but it's definitely not well suited to 28mm.  Particularly when you put Warlord's own heroic-scaled models next to it.

The Flak 37 looks like a bad compromise on all counts.  Which is fine, because it leaves the way open for Rubicon's far superior version when it arrives.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2018, 08:25:35 pm »
Thanks Rubicon for the information.

The Bunkers:
This is easy. We (my gaming club) make our own bunkers using original WW2 bunkers as a pattern. Making our own is so much better and easier than the resin or plastic ones you can buy. Not only are they easy to make, but cost so much less. We can't see why anyone would buy them. I would like to post here an article from a wargames magazine that shows players how easy it is to make your own WW2 bunkers in any scale. More about this later.  ;)

The 8.8cm Flak 37:
Because from what experience tells me, I don't think Rubicon's Flak 36/37 will not be available anytime soon, so I might end up getting one these Warlord Games plastic 88 kits (made by Italeri or PSC?) mostly because the 88 as sit would make a neat victory objective marker. That is if I get one at all. For most skirmish games like Bolt Action, Chain of Command, and Battleground II, an 88 is an over-kill or out of place for anything useful, but like I said, it would look nice as an objective marker. That being said, I would rather have the Rubicon 88 than the WG 88.  ???

The new US Infantry:
Having assemble LOTS of their older plastic US infantry, I can see from the picture there are slight improvements. I need to point out that having weapons already molded in the hands and having them separate is a positive and negative situation. It is a positive in that assembly is much easier and faster, but it is a negative your choices in variations are much more limited.

I have also noticed there are two unique (and somewhat odd) poses. Nothing wrong with it, but you can only do so much with a specialize posed as opposed to what you can do with more generic pose. For example, that figure on one leg running (or tripping*) has a very limited choice of arms, whereas the more generic pose like the figure above the running man has a lot more options or arms. Also would have been nice to see a few more arm choices with M1 Garand Rifles than just three. Note that the rifle being carried in the left hand is not an M1 Garand. It looks to be a 1903 Springfield? I think it would have been better if they had made it an M1.

I believe that a better sprue design would have been to remove those single arms with only the Springfield, Shotgun, and maybe the helmet then use to precious space for some standard carrying and/or shooting arms with empty hands. Then add a 1903 Springfield, Shotgun, and of course an M1 Garand separately. This would give the assembler a better and unique choice. In short, I would have done a mix of weapons molded in hands and a few with empty hands and separate weapons to choose from (especially the unique weapons) giving the assembler a much wider range of choices to work with, and still allowing them to not bother with the empty hands if they didn't want to fuss with it. But that is just me.  :o

*can easily be made into a tripping pose.  :D

Okay, that is my $0.02 worth.