Author Topic: References  (Read 2718 times)

Klingsor

• Cadet
    • View Profile
References
« on: November 16, 2014, 04:13:53 am »
What books would the list recommend? More specifically those on the development of the specific models produced by Rubicon and how to paint them.

Specifically I was aware that the T-34 came in a number of models before the T-34/85 arrived on the scene but not the details so the different versions possible with the box are slightly perplexing. I was surprised to find that I did not own the Osprey book on the T-34/76 but after a few minutes I had the Kindle version which has helped considerably, rubber rims it is, though something more detailed would be nice.

For German tanks I have Chamberlain and Doyle's Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two which is now rather old but is pretty good on the different models.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: References
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 06:52:59 am »
  For the casual modeler , I would say pick up the Osprey Vanguard or Squadron Signal books or Walkarounds  on the vehicle your wanting to work on ( about $ 20 ) . Not a huge amount of technical info in 60 to 80 pages but enough text , drawings  and photos to set you on the right path  . A series called  Nuts & Bolts  goes into more detail on one vehicle or chassis type ( mostly German ) , getting down to ammo storage , engine compartment and radios , etc . Panzer Wrecks  gives you pictures of wrecked / captured  German vehicles ,  by type or setting , ie - Normandy  or  France 1940 . Ampersand Publishing has some great photo studies on the Churchill and the Staghound to name the two I have . Also Haynes , who publish auto books have a few on Military vehicles  , I've got the Sherman , the Churchill and the one on Bovington's Tiger .  My go to books for modeling ideas are Encyclopedia of German Tanks ( Chamberlain & Doyle- 1978 ) , British and American Tanks of WW2 ( Chamberlain & Ellis -1969 ). Old as heck , but with over 1000 pictures in the E of GT and over 500 in B & AT book , I get lots of ideas on crew stowage , battle damage , vehicle markings and general wear and tear on the vehicles  . Lots of great books  on Soviet tanks  coming  out of Russia , Poland and the Czech Republic , the only problem is that they might only have a short summary in English , the rest will be fun to translate , but lots of never before seen pictures , I picked up one , in Russian on the KV 2 . A  great site to check out for modeling ideas as well as book and kit reviews is Armorama .
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:03:18 am by ripley »