Author Topic: LVT Project - British Crew & 20mm Polsten Gun 181121  (Read 65322 times)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: LVT Project - LVT(A)1 & LVT(A)4 170714
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 04:11:46 pm »
Any chance that the below the waterline part plugs in to the above the water line part like your track units, so the modeller can swap between the two modes?

Maybe leave that one to the converters...

Both of these vehicles were fire support vehicles.  I'm assuming there isn't enough space on the sprues to include parts for the basic troop carrier version as well.  Wargamers are more likely to want the troop carrier in preference to a fire support vehicle (if you think about it, you're going to need several basic LVTs, supported by a couple of turreted variants, to re-enact an amphibious assault).  My suggestion would be to include the basic troop carrier instead of one of these variants (even though these are both arguably more interesting models). 

Some LVT(A)4's had a raised cowling around the .50 cal position.  It looks quite good.  Any chance of including this?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:15:52 am by Pinky »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 09:19:55 pm »
I was thinking that just using the upper hull for a waterline model like work as well ,till I looked up some photos . It seem to ride higher out of the water so your going to need part of the upper track run to look right .

That would make it a very complicated 4 sprue kit or a 5 sprue kit which gets away from Rubicon's trying to keep parts count and prices reasonable . That being said , I would probably get a couple of 5 sprue kits  ::)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 09:24:05 pm by ripley »

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 03:07:26 am »
Or make the waterline version in resin.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 10:52:13 am »
That could work  :) . If Rubicon planned the placement of parts on the sprues carefully they could supply a single plastic sprue with the turret parts and a resin water line hull

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: LVT Project - LVT(A)1 Prototype Preview 170728
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 11:44:08 pm »
Internet had been acting up, so cannot upload too much images...
Just a close up of the LVT(A)1 turret!

Enjoy!
;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2017, 03:51:23 am »
Very good.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2017, 08:12:38 pm »
Looks pretty good.  The interior hatch detail could be better. 

I repeat my earlier comment - it would make a lot more sense to include the basic troop transport version in this kit.  It seems like a big missed opportunity to focus on the fire support versions.  This is a vital vehicle for anyone who wargames the Pacific theatre.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2017, 10:09:15 pm »
Looks pretty good.  The interior hatch detail could be better. 

This is just preliminary design. Will add more details and refinement as we move along towards mould making.

I repeat my earlier comment - it would make a lot more sense to include the basic troop transport version in this kit.  It seems like a big missed opportunity to focus on the fire support versions.  This is a vital vehicle for anyone who wargames the Pacific theatre.

The LVT-4 was visually different in terms of layout and design.  We will focus on the LVT(A)1 and LVT(A)4 first before moving onto another variant.  We estimate this to be at least a 4 or 5 sprue kit!  Making more sprues for other variants will meant more budget!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2017, 02:05:47 am »
The LVT-4 was the later version with a rear ramp (known as 'Buffalo' to the British); including this would clearly require too many parts.  That's not the version I meant.

The LVT-2 was the vehicle upon which these 2 fire support versions were based.  It had the same layout, with the engine in the rear.  The driver's compartment was different, being taller and lacking the roof hatches.  And of course it had an open-topped troop compartment.  But it's essentially the same vehicle from the hull top down - aside from the interior (which I'm sure Rubicon could include with some clever moulding), it wouldn't require a lot of additional parts.

The LVT-2 wasn't armoured, although they were often up-armoured in field workshops (and was later manufactured with an armoured driver's compartment).  So an armoured version, the LVT(A)-2, was developed.  This had the same driver's compartment as the LVT(A)-1 and LVT(A)-4.  Apparently the LVT(A)-2 was only supplied to the Army, although from photos I it seems to have seen service with the Marines too. 

It's also worth remembering that the LVT(A)-1 was fairly quickly superseded by the LVT(A)-4, although not completely.  The 37mm gun wasn't very effective in providing fire support.  So it wasn't particularly successful at what it was intended to do.   It was the LVT-2 which was the most numerous amtrac type used in the Pacific, and the vehicle most wargamers will want in quantity.  That should translate into higher sales.  I've noticed that the response to this kit on the Facebook site is also to request a troop carrier version.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:28:16 am by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2017, 11:13:56 am »
It's also worth remembering that the LVT(A)-1 was fairly quickly superseded by the LVT(A)-4, although not completely.  The 37mm gun wasn't very effective in providing fire support.  So it wasn't particularly successful at what it was intended to do.

That's true... this is why this kit will built either the LVT(A)1 or the LVT(A)4.  Will look into the LVT-2 later...

I've noticed that the response to this kit on the Facebook site is also to request a troop carrier version.

Since when you started using Facebook?  ;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2017, 04:17:39 pm »
Since when you started using Facebook?  ;)

I don't -  I just look at your FB page sometimes.  You put up stuff there that doesn't make it to this site. 

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: LVT Project - LVT(A)1 Prototype 170730
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2017, 06:19:54 pm »
A perk of joining this forum is you usually will get most postings ahead of those on Facebook...
The LVT(A)1 prototype in its full glory!  This is by far the largest vehicle we have done up-to-date!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:33:03 pm by Rubicon Models »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2017, 09:37:50 pm »
Nice, no idea what I would do with it.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2017, 10:22:23 pm »
Nice, no idea what I would do with it.

Start a PTO army!  ;)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: LVT Project - LVT(A)4 Prototype 170801
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 12:16:52 pm »
August brings a fresh LVT variant into the scene... the LVT(A)4!

The 37mm gun of the LVT(A)1 was inadequate for fire support version so the turret of the 75mm Howitzer Motor Carriage M8 (armed with a 75mm howitzer) was used to produce the LVT(A)4. A single .50 cal machine gun was installed on the ring mount above the turret rear. In the late production vehicles the heavy machine gun was replaced with two M1919A4 .30 MGs on pintle mounts and one more in the bow mount. 1,890 units produced, and 1,307 were transferred to US Army and 50 to British Army.

Enjoy!
 ;)