Rubicon Models > Showcase & Gallery

Various WIP

(1/43) > >>

ripley:
Picked up my third Rubicon SU-85/122 kit the other day and decided to build it as a German SPG based on this photo:

And since I'm actually pre thinking my build this time ( not rushing into it as usual :-[ ) , I am going to try and post my progress . I'm using the Tank Power SU-85/100/122 and Peko SU-85/100 books as my main reference as well as various pictures in assorted books from my collection

I will try explain my reasons for any changes or additons to the kit and try to remember  to post reference pictures for clarification .  Hopefully some of you might find this of some  interest ,and hopefully I will remember to post stuff as I progress in the build and  not just post the finished kit in a weeks time ( as I usually do  :-[)

ultravanillasmurf:
Looking forward to your build.

ripley:
Where to begin ? Looking through my books I noticed that there were 2 versions of the SU-85 , One had lift hooks on the gun mantle and long handrail on the casement sides ( same as the SU-122 which the 85 was based on ) .

And a later version which had lift rings on the mantle and a short hand rail . This the version I'm going to build

So I added rings ( ex model rail road bits ) as well as liquid green stuff to give the ball mount a rougher cast texture . This is done by painting on the LGS , and stippling with a stiff brush till the desired texture is achieved . Usually I do this a couple of times during the build till I'm happy  with the result.

I also like to add open vision ports on the driver's hatch as well as the cast texture . Some are very rough , others almost smooth , see above

ripley:
Green stuff is also added to the armored exhaust covers as well as the differential covers on the hull rear . Again quite a variation in texture

This is another pattern of exhaust cover for T-34s ( Factory No 183 )

Standard cover

Pinky:
Thanks for sharing this, Ripley.  It's very enjoyable watching this build progress. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version