Author Topic: Applique/extra armour kits for late model Shermans  (Read 6915 times)

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Applique/extra armour kits for late model Shermans
« on: July 14, 2016, 11:32:07 pm »
As you're currently updating your Sherman, I was wondering if I could put a vote in for some upgraded armour, as by the end of '44 increasing numbers of late model M4's were having various types of extra protection added. what I had in mind was mainly the extra plate welded to the vehicle glacis (rather than  the sandbag or concrete type reinforcement that was also common).
 I'd imagine that it would be an easy addition to any planned upgrade sprue, being simple flat plates - I know that this would be a fairly easy plasticard conversion, but its simplicity would surely also make it easy to add to any planned sprue.

Here's a 1/35 example from Verlinden

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Applique/extra armour kits for late model Shermans
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 01:07:33 am »
Personally I would rather Rubicon use the sprue space for tank crew figures or ammo boxes etc . As most pictures show these add on armor pieces were cut from what ever the repair crew could get their hands on , they are all different in shape and size . I can  make my own out of plastic card to match the picture of the vehicle I wish to model . Tamiya included extra front armor on their Achilles kit based on the one picture , I have never seen any others with this modification . Same goes for their Cromwell Cullin hedge cutter , one picture of a test vehicle in the UK , none in France after D day . Just my 2 cents  ::)

airborne

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 03:23:09 am »
I`m shoulder to shoulder with Ripley it`s not to hard to scratch so crew and camp accessories would be really cool . You"ve a cool amount of machines, of all nations,  camp/ rest, is a good ambush point for gamming, and a natural diorama position. 

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 03:47:23 pm »
A Rubicon M4A3E2 Jumbo upgrade might be nice, and the more obvious donor "plates" might be something that an "aftermarket" supplier could provide?

There are a number of pictures of Shermans where the donor is very obvious.

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Applique/extra armour kits for late model Shermanswith
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 10:48:21 pm »
While I don't entirely disagree with either Ripley or Airborne, I think that some applique armour would be a valid & useful addition to a 'library' of Sherman bits. I think it would depend on whether there was to be an actual Sherman upgrade set (akin to the stowage or those coming for the 250/251 & Opel) or alterations/ additions to the existing kits sprues. If it were the latter I'd certainly support the inclusion of crew (commander & possibly gunner whole figures & driver/radio op head & shoulder figures) over a (very) optional bit of extra armour, which would take up too much valuable sprue space, but if an entire upgrade sprue were in the offing I see no reason (working on the size of the stowage sprue) why it shouldn't contain both of those (along with the tracks with the duckbill extenders - hardly essential but a very cool addition & like additional armour more commonly seen in the very late war). Crew kit/rucksacks/.30 cals to attach to the turret & ammunition with the requisite boxes would also be lovely but clearly at the 'gravy' end of the necessity spectrum.
 Of course it would also depend if it were a dedicated Sherman upgrade kit or a generalised allied one but I'd welcome either.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 02:08:55 am by Ballardian »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 01:56:00 pm »
Thanks for all the comments.  While building the M4 Digital Library at the studio,
we had several discussions on what we can do with "components" that could
not made it to our plastic sprues.  We are seriously looking into releasing a new
range of resin (and may be photo-etched)  products to compliment our plastic
range.  Not right away, but next year!

;)

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 07:10:27 pm »
Resin/photo-etch would be a great solution & surely give you greater scope for add ons (without the need for expensive injection die), it would make zimmerit kits for your Panther/Tiger possible for a start.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 09:48:44 pm »
With your kits being more IMO scale model than war game piece , I would love to see photo etch Schurzen  side skirts for your Stug III .

airborne

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 03:15:09 am »
I`m interested in many things expressed by your selves, and the other "squaddies", so it will go the right way eventually. May I just say that with the average "Yank" tank having 4/5 crew, and with most players buying 3 of each, that's 15 crew. I`d love some to be eating ,sleeping  doing maintenance etc as well as traveling in and on the machines. 

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 02:37:17 pm »
With your kits being more IMO scale model than war game piece , I would love to see photo etch Schurzen  side skirts for your Stug III .

While I think Rubicon are edging towards the scale model side of things (with increasing numbers of small parts), I think they're still primarily wargaming models.  In any event, I'd rather not see photo etch invade this scale.  It's not fun to work with.  Resin is okay, I guess.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 02:43:47 pm »
While I think Rubicon are edging towards the scale model side of things (with increasing numbers of small parts), I think they're still primarily wargaming models.  In any event, I'd rather not see photo etch invade this scale.  It's not fun to work with.  Resin is okay, I guess.

Our goal is still to make the best wargaming models in any scale!  The smaller parts
is because we are working on more smaller vehicles, which is inevitable.  However,
we are also working hard to expand into the military modelling market aimed for the
beginners and the aged veterans for something detailed but quick-built.
;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 07:43:17 pm »
Personally I would rather Rubicon use the sprue space for tank crew figures or ammo boxes etc ...Tamiya included extra front armor on their Achilles kit based on the one picture , I have never seen any others with this modification.

Agreed.  Rubicon also included the Achilles armour plate in their M10/M36 (although I tried to talk them out of it).  The space on the sprue could have been used for the exhaust deflector for the M4A3-based variants, which would have then been complete.  They've gotten better - there doesn't seem to be any wasted space on the most recent kits.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 08:09:20 am by Pinky »