Author Topic: Haunted by the past... M4 Sherman Revisited! - Updated 160302  (Read 23212 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Haunted by the past... M4 Sherman Revisited! - Updated 160302
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2016, 11:30:08 pm »
What about new suspensions?Like M4A3E8 variant...

Why is everyone wanting a M4A3E8 (Easy Eight)??  Tell us!!
???

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2016, 12:20:02 am »
The updates are starting to get out of hand, I think.  :(

It's because you really, really want to do another Sherman kit...

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2016, 12:36:54 am »
It's because you really, really want to do another Sherman kit...

Had to admit we do... if time permits.  The mould making queue is now longer than the 3d drawing queue!

The initial plan is to do just an update on the T23 turret to include BOTH early and late variant on a single sprue.  Since there are extra space on the sprue, we decided to add an extra transmission cover... then we are talking about new suspension, new tracks... hahaha!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2016, 01:00:57 am »
Or just do the late 76mm turret - the majority of M4A3 (76mm)s seem to have had this anyway.  Then include the HVSS tracks.  Bingo - an M4A3E8!

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2016, 01:07:38 am »
Or just do the late 76mm turret - the majority of M4A3 (76mm)s seem to have had this anyway.  Then include the HVSS tracks.  Bingo - an M4A3E8!

We now have much higher standard and expectations on our products now!  Need to discuss with studio guys on all these updates before doing anything further!

chrismanu87

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2016, 01:58:58 am »
What about new suspensions?Like M4A3E8 variant...

???
Because Fury is in our blood and we can' t wait to get a tank like that

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2016, 10:23:13 am »
???

It's not just because of "Fury".  The Easy Eight is one of the few Allied tanks that has anything like the 'cool' factor that many Panzers have (the late model Sherman was arguably a more effective tank than the T-34/85).  The HVSS suspension is more modern looking than the VVSS suspension.  It's also a pretty good tank in gaming terms.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2016, 01:28:57 pm »
Just to set things straight about the movie "Fury"... Ten working M4 Sherman tanks were used.  The M4A3E8 Sherman tank Fury was played by an M4A2E8 Sherman tank named RON/HARRY (T224875), lent by The Tank Museum in the UK.

Ref Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fury_(2014_film)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2016, 04:28:34 pm »
Well a VVSS M4A2 would be popular with British and Soviet modellers...

Not sure about a HVSS one, but it could be used to fit the suspension to the A3 hull...

We expect miracles ^___^.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2016, 04:40:09 pm »
The attention to technical detail in "Fury" is impressive - the fact that Fury is actually an M4A2E8 is pretty minor.  I thought the logs hanging from the side were inaccurate (they were too spindly to stop a shell), but there are photos of M4s carrying logs for use in muddy terrain.  The film's depiction of combat is less impressive - particularly the engagement with the German Paks in the field (in which no tactics of any kind are apparent, despite the experience of the US tankers) and the increasingly unbelievable final battle. 

I'm amazed that they were allowed to put a venerable museum piece like the M4A2E8 though such relatively rough treatment.  It must be in good condition.  It's certainly become an iconic tank - along with Oddball's M4A3E4.

As I said before, the basic M4A3 kit is a good one.  A new sprue of parts to upgrade it to M4A3E8 standard would be a good way of (1) dealing with the problems with the 76mm turret, and (2) providing a potentially popular version without doing an entirely new kit.

I agree with UVS that an M4A2 would also be nice.  I guess that's another opportunity to re-do the 76mm turret.   

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2016, 12:07:44 am »
There had been a lot of debate on the movie, and I think we should like at it as such... a great war movie, nothing else!  It is entertaining, period!

Most tank museums nowadays had running vintage tanks to attract visitors.  They usually will either buy fully-restored armoured vehicles or those in poor working condition and then restore them to running order.  Also with the amount of M4 being manufactured, don't think it will be difficult to find a handful in good running order.  German tanks are another story!

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2016, 01:58:25 am »
Also with the amount of M4 being manufactured, don't think it will be difficult to find a handful in good running order.  German tanks are another story!
That is what T34s and FV432s are for (probably not the time to mention wanting some of the latter....). There is a photograph of an FV432 Stug in the Tankograd FV432 variants book, though none of the Hydra APCs.

Saying that, the last two museums I visited had Grizzly tanks masquerading as M4A1s.
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/grizzling-m4a5-grizzly.html

I still need to post the Southsea pictures.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:02:35 am by ultravanillasmurf »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2016, 09:56:01 am »
There had been a lot of debate on the movie, and I think we should like at it as such... a great war movie, nothing else!  It is entertaining, period!

It's when the movie's producers tell you how realistic their film is that they're asking for flak over historical authenticity.  Some artistic license is fine (like Fury's Tardis-like interior, and the crew being able to talk to each over inside a moving tank), but some of other stuff that happened was a bit silly.  Which is odd, because making it more realistic would also have made it a more compelling film.  Oh well...

Most tank museums nowadays had running vintage tanks to attract visitors.  They usually will either buy fully-restored armoured vehicles or those in poor working condition and then restore them to running order.  Also with the amount of M4 being manufactured, don't think it will be difficult to find a handful in good running order.  German tanks are another story!

Right, but they only wheel out their valuable runners on special occasions.  Imagine the wear and tear on a 70 year old tank that film-making involves.  The amazing thing is that the number of Panzers which are runners is slowly increasing, mostly due to private restorers.  I'd love to be involved in a project like that - although I'm not sure where I'd put a fully operational Panzer!   
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:14:04 pm by Pinky »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2016, 11:51:56 am »
 The reason so many Grizzlys are still in good shape , is that  during  WW2  they were only used for  training in Canada and the UK , so never saw combat . And after the war most users of the Sherman decided in favour of the 76mm gun version , so the Griz was sold off .  Some can be seen in the mini series , Band of Brothers as well as a couple in A Bridge Too Far  ( look for the dummy Shermans on VW chassis   :D ) As a Canadian I would love a model of this tank , maybe a M4A1 / Grizzly 2 in 1 kit . To make the M4A1 a Griz you would just need to add  the Canadian 18 tooth sprocket and CDP track, as well as British style turret  stowage box .

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2016, 03:42:04 pm »
As a Canadian I would love a model of this tank , maybe a M4A1 / Grizzly 2 in 1 kit . To make the M4A1 a Griz you would just need to add  the Canadian 18 tooth sprocket and CDP track, as well as British style turret  stowage box .
And Portugal had them in service until the 'eighties when some people could buy them.

Of course the track and sprocket is the same as the Sexton 2 (hint hint).

The General Steel glacis appears on some non Grizzly tanks as well, I should have a better picture of the Southsea example.