Author Topic: SdKfz 251/1 Ausf D - Project CLOSED!  (Read 137282 times)

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: SdKfz 251/1 Ausf D - Expansion Kit 3D Prototypes!
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2015, 03:22:35 pm »
I got an advance copy of it a few weeks before launch, wasn't that impressed
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2015, 11:20:33 pm »
I see Warlord are about to release a plastic /16 based on their new Ausf D kit (photo below).  It looks okay - they've included some crew in protective suits, which is a nice touch - but some of the detail is rather heavy-handed, and of course Rubicon's basic Ausf D is superior.  I hope Rubicon gets their first Ausf D upgrade set out before Warlord does something similar.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 08:26:18 pm by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2015, 11:53:35 pm »
As you know, we never rush our releases!  Everything must get pass QC before going into production.  We rather be late than releasing an inferior product!

;)

elcee

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2015, 12:39:10 am »
As you know, we never rush our releases!  Everything must get pass QC before going into production.  We rather be late than releasing an inferior product!

;)
In contrast to some of the warlord kits, to be fair i like most of them, there are even some things i prefer(Schürzen).
But kits like the 251 are inferior to your work.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2015, 08:36:26 pm »
Warlord's early kits don't compare well to Rubicon's.  But I have to say that the Italeri-designed kits are generally pretty good (they don't assemble quite as precisely as Rubicon's later kits though).  And (sorry Rubicon!) the forthcoming Panzer III looks like it's much more accurate that Rubicon's.  Maybe it's time that one got a makeover?

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2015, 09:21:22 pm »
And (sorry Rubicon!) the forthcoming Panzer III looks like it's much more accurate that Rubicon's.  Maybe it's time that one got a makeover?

The Warlord Panzer III looks promising!  We have plans for other Panzer III variants, but not right away!  We would rather release plastic kits that are not available in the market than churning out similar products for the masses.

elcee

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2015, 05:45:30 am »
Warlord's early kits don't compare well to Rubicon's.  But I have to say that the Italeri-designed kits are generally pretty good (they don't assemble quite as precisely as Rubicon's later kits though).  And (sorry Rubicon!) the forthcoming Panzer III looks like it's much more accurate that Rubicon's.  Maybe it's time that one got a makeover?
With warlord kits i was thinking more ofc warlord italeri to be more specific. Competition is a good thing, at least for the consumer. It forces companies to improve to compete - looking at rubicon pz iv... we have come a long way.

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
« Reply #142 on: July 27, 2015, 01:14:53 am »
Some of the Warlord plastic kits -- those NOT designed by Italeri -- are very similar to the PSC 1/72 kits, and looks like they are simply upscaled, with the corresponding loss of detail. Their Hanomags are all upscaled PSC kits.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2015, 01:40:56 am »
Off the record... Yes, many of the Warlord only releases are basically PSC upscaled 1/72 kits.  The Universal Carrier is a very good example because of the crews that was included.  Don't think Warlord had actually done any refinement to the 3d model before tooling.

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2015, 05:07:07 am »
Off the record... Yes, many of the Warlord only releases are basically PSC upscaled 1/72 kits.  The Universal Carrier is a very good example because of the crews that was included.  Don't think Warlord had actually done any refinement to the 3d model before tooling.

They actually added a second Bren Gun on an AA mount. Otherwise it's the exact same kit, it's very obvious if you have built both. It's the same with the new /D hanomag, the crew figures is a dead giveaway.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2015, 09:36:03 am »
I don't think Warlord's upscaled PSC kits (and I think their Panzer IV was another one) really compete with most of Rubicon's in terms of detail or precision.  Italeri's kits are a different matter - especially their StuG and (judging from the photos) Panzer III; these are very good.  Although they don't always assemble quite as nicely as the latest Rubicon kits.  I'm building the Italeri Tiger I, and there are all sorts of gaps.  You have to clean up the parts quite carefully before you assemble anything.  The Rubicon Tiger I goes together much better. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 11:08:18 am by Pinky »

elcee

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 28, 2015, 04:45:25 pm »
Its not only quality for me, sometimes kits are sort of a 3d puzzle, although this is not exclusive to warlord-italeri kits (warlord metals are much worse).
I really dont like looking at instructions and guessing the position of bits of a kit (resulting in searching my book or the web for reference data).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:47:13 pm by elcee »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2016, 02:02:47 pm »
Last of the 250/251 Expansion Set... the SdKfz 251/23 -  2 cm Hängelafette 38 auf Mittlerer Schützenpanzerwagen.

Note the difference on turret design between the SdKfz 250/9 and SdKfz 251/23:

Enjoy!
;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: SdKfz 251/1 Ausf D - SdKfz 251/23 3D Drawing!
« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2016, 02:56:36 pm »
Have Rubicon's researchers uncovered any evidence that this version was ever built?  My sources indicate that it probably never got further than a prototype, and noone knows whether it had a roof.  There seems to be only 1 photo of this vehicle, and that may or may not be genuine.

Meanwhile, there are two similar variants of the SdKfz 251 which definitely did see service, albeit in small numbers - the SdKfz 251/17 (which had a 20mm gun mounted on a pedestal with a crude turret) and the SdKfz 251/21 (which mounted the naval "Drilling" anti-aircraft gun).  These are both interesting looking vehicles which would make nice models.  Given that you're already producing the SdKfz 250/9, you kind of have this type of vehicle covered, so producing an SdKfz 251 version (especially when it's so obscure) seems a bit redundant.     

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: SdKfz 251/1 Ausf D - SdKfz 251/23 3D Drawing!
« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2016, 03:09:29 pm »
The turret is the main objective.  This turret is used in several other armoured vehicles.  We know the history behind the 251/23, incorporating this into our 250/9 sprue only requires several extra parts; this is why we put it there!

As for the SdKfz 251/17 and 251/21, they will require extensive resources into new 3D drawings, time which we don't have at the moment.