Author Topic: SdKfz 251/1 Ausf C & Expansion Kits - 250/7 & 251/2 TS1 Painted 170110  (Read 87688 times)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: SdKfz 251/1 Ausf C & Expansion Kits
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 10:10:58 am »
Thanks for all the input.  Cost sharing is an issue that we need to resolve.  Unlike the Ausf D, the Ausf C is a new kit; other companies had already saturated the market with this variant.  The Ausf C with Expansion Kit bundles will open up that market for us, an important point to consider.  We also have to look at how customers will field their army when playing their games.  Vehicle composition will then become a factor as well.

I guess it'd be worth doing some research on typical BA army lists, to see which SdKfz 251 variants are the most common.  Then maybe ensure that each upgrade sprue includes at least one very popular variant, and focus on this in terms of box art etc.  I thought about that when I suggested the combinations above, but it was all very impressionistic!  I was also thinking about what "pure" modellers might want, although I think all of the variants you're planning have a lot of appeal to modellers.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 10:35:33 am »
BA Army lists , yes I guess you should check and  see what's popular and  what the points cost of each variant  is, as  most gamers at the LHS only use 2 or 3 vehicles per game . There's a tourney coming up in late September, my first time playing  - 500 points . I'm told if  I want to use my Tiger and a squad of troops  , the Tiger has to have run out of fuel and has  no ammo to make 499 points  ::) So I'll be playing with 10 men and a 57  ton road block . Some how I think I'm having my leg pulled

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2015, 10:27:16 pm »
Just as our Q3/15 new releases had been shipped from the warehouse, spotted these digital test sculpts for the upcoming 251 Expansion Kits.

We are using Perry plastics as a key references in terms of proportion, and the WL plastic for size comparison.

Can't wait for the 3D prototypes, any comments?

;)

moiterei_1984

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2015, 01:32:35 am »
Quite nice but the helmet looks wrong somehow. The brim looks as if it's too steep at the front (don't know the correct english term but if it was a baseball cap it would be called the visor) and the chin strap is wrong:

And it looks like the ventilation hole isn't positioned correctly.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:34:43 am by moiterei_1984 »

Bruno_015

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2015, 01:57:32 am »
Just as our Q3/15 new releases had been shipped from the warehouse, spotted these digital test sculpts for the upcoming 251 Expansion Kits.

We are using Perry plastics as a key references in terms of proportion, and the WL plastic for size comparison.

Can't wait for the 3D prototypes, any comments?

;)

Good to see you working on the crews, but I would suggest more dynamic poses and maybe several options for arms, holding/doing different things.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2015, 09:03:44 am »
I don't mind the relatively static pose, although perhaps it could be slightly less 'at attention'.  The helmet definitely needs revising.  In terms of proportions it looks more like a Warlord figure than a Perry figure.

Great to see some figures.  How many so you plan to include on these upgrade sprues?

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2015, 09:04:56 am »
This is an initial test sculpt to use for setting a standard on size and style... not for historical accuracy yet, just basic references.

For example, the helmet is basically a digital copy of an existing helmet (in terms of size) from an existing manufacturer,  it is used to for size comparison with other manufacturers. Also, many details are wrong at the moment, but that's not the point for the whole exercise.  These sculpts and will be corrected. fine-tuned and reposed later.

;)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2015, 04:11:40 pm »
There is a lot of preparation work before we started a digital sculpt...

- define the period
- research the uniform
- choose a logical & dynamic pose
- inspect the environment

We then put all these into a setting to show our digital sculptor what we are expecting from him/her...

This is just step one...
;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:01:37 pm by Rubicon Models »

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2015, 05:15:17 pm »
This is going to take your models up a notch in levels of quality. I'm really liking the look of these.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2015, 08:02:47 pm »
If you are doing late war crew, the big differences are no pleated pockets, gaiters and peaked caps (if no helmets).

Early war High boots, pleated pockets, gas cape pouch on chest and no peaked caps.

Equipment stayed basically the same throughout the war.

Mid war (1942-1943) could be a mix of the above except that the gas cape was usually not worn on the chest anymore.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2015, 07:22:08 pm »
Here is an updated sPzB 41 with new Ammo Box:

Enjoy!

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2015, 11:52:25 pm »
Before our trip to Germany for Spiel 15, we are still working hard on our digital sculpts.  Here are some of the progress...

3D prototype compared with our original test sculpt

3D prototype placed besides a Perry Miniatures DAK sprue

Additional work being done with the test sculpts, now on a SdKfz 251/3...

C&C welcome!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2015, 12:21:23 am »
You seem to be getting the hang of sculpting crew.  The 3D prototypes look very good.

My only comment is to make sure that your final uniforms are appropriate for the variant they're intended for.  I know you're not focused on uniform detail yet, but the Ausf C was essentially a mid-war vehicle, so the crew wouldn't be in late war uniforms.  It'd also be nice if the /3 included an officer in a peaked cap.

Yaquir

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2015, 12:27:00 am »
The radio-operators looks really, really good!

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2015, 12:57:06 am »
We are still trying to work on a "standard body prototype" for the studio.  Once selected, we will use that for all future figures.  It is all about proportion, scale, and features on each miniature; which is very important to produce a consistent product range.

Will work on the historical aspect once this is done!  We are using the radio operators and later on, gun crews, as a test project.  Will post some more images later on!

;)