Author Topic: M5A1 Stuart / M8 Scott - Project CLOSED!  (Read 73426 times)

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
Re: M5A1/M8 Stuart
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2015, 08:51:18 pm »
I don't know... I'm drawn toward the first one, but I'm no expert. Couldn't you make the gaps straight up front and back so the MG isn't at an angle? I mean, if you then put the tabs at 90 and 270 degrees on the turret you still get the same functionality.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2015, 09:17:36 pm »
Pinky: Can I suggest, however, that you widen the shield so it's level with the outer rim of the turret ring, and have it sitting on a very shallow ring, with a couple of tabs underneath to fit into the 'bayonet' openings in the turret ring.  You might also consider a second gun mount, so people can fit the .30 cal as well.

Yes, we will add a second gun mount.  This is just a preliminary design that still need refinement.

Laffe: Couldn't you make the gaps straight up front and back so the MG isn't at an angle? I mean, if you then put the tabs at 90 and 270 degrees on the turret you still get the same functionality.

It is a design issue with the 45 degree thing.  Also, with the current design, the MG with the mount is a single piece from the original M5A1 turret.  This is to save sprue space.  We can split the MG and the mount, and that will resolve a lot of issues; but we probably will have 3 or 4 parts instead of a single one!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2015, 12:07:15 am »
It is is a design issue with the 45 degree thing.  Also, with the current design, the MG with the mount is a single piece from the original M5A1 turret.  This is to save sprue space.  We can split the MG and the mount, and that will resolve a lot of issues; but we probably will have 3 or 4 parts instead of a single one!

That's a tricky oneā€¦and you need at least one fairly large piece for the hull interior, as well as a couple of pieces for the M8 turret interior (howitzer breech and ammo).  I'm guessing it's also hard to justify more sprues for a small vehicle like this, as it becomes too expensive.

airborne

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2015, 04:43:52 am »
I collect and play Dust I cut my main body of my Walker to lower the turret so it just pushes in, it as remained tight despite play  could you get a way with no lugs     

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2015, 02:09:24 am »
Got the 3D prototype parts back from the factory!  Here is the M5 track links with the road wheels...  Simply look at the details!  Going to be awesome when this is turned into plastic!

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2015, 09:03:17 pm »
This looks good to me.  You seem to have adopted the same approach as you did to the M4A3 - guide teeth on only one side.  It's fine, I think - it's barely noticeably on the M4A3, and makes for easy assembly and a nice robust model.

Have you solved the issues with the Recon version and the number of parts?

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2015, 09:48:26 pm »
Here is some 3D printed parts for our WIP M5/M8 light tank. The M5 is a small tank, yet highly detailed!

We are still trying to shortlist what to produce (in terms of variants) and what not because we cannot fit all the parts into 2 or even 3 sprues. Possible variants include M5 / M5A1 / M8 / Kangaroo (Reece) in early / mid / late production. We love all of them, but some needed to be sacrified!

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2015, 10:24:39 pm »
These prototypes look very nice.  Especially the .30 cal, although the details of the cradle don't look quite right yet.  Can't quite tell what's going on with the .50 cal ammo box - the underside seems to be cut away.  The level of detail of these parts is great.

I really hope you include the Recce/Kangaroo version, even at the expense of (say) the M5.  I'd say the M5 is relatively marginal from a wargaming perspective (and even historically) - it was quickly replaced in service.  The M5A1 did not actually have much of a combat role, but it's likely to be popular with Bolt Action players because it's cheap in points. 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 02:31:37 pm by Pinky »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2015, 02:32:54 pm »
This seems to have been what the late M5A1's .30 cal cradle looked like:

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2015, 06:55:39 pm »
Some more images on the M5/M8...

Enjoy!
;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2015, 01:05:19 am »
These look really nice.  The design of the M8 turret is ingenious!

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 03:20:51 pm »
With the basic M3/M3A1 Half-Track almost done, focus is now on the M5A1/M8 prototypes...

We know there is no way to fit all these into a single product (3 sprues maximum), we are now working hard to sort out how to position the M5A1/M8 into our product range.  We probably will split this into 2 product codes...

Please feel free to comment!
;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: M5A1 Stuart / M8 Scott
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 11:24:51 pm »
I haven't looked at them closely, but these prototypes look really good.  It'd be great if you could fit all of these variants into one kit! What if you dropped the side skirts to make more room on the sprues?  After all, you haven't included the side skirts with your M4A3 kit, and they were often discarded in service.  Maybe also have fewer separate hatches?

I love the .50 cal.  The .30 cal looks nice too, although the ammo box is a bit odd.  Both weapon types seem to be more robust than the machine guns you've provided in earlier kits.  Is that right?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:57:24 pm by Pinky »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2015, 04:42:54 am »
Looks great  .Really love the open hatches . ( must order some  Warlord figure sprues , I need more crew figures ) . If there's too many pieces I guess you could put out the M5 / Kangaroo kit , and then release the M8 at a later date . I mean you putting out 3 kits based on the 251 D right now  and maybe another version  if you decide to make a 75mm armed 251/22 .  I guess a combined M5 / M8 kit would probably have a piece count like your Tiger kit and be  comparable priced , don't know if many  folks would pay that much for a small tank . ( I'ld  get one   :) )

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2015, 12:08:23 pm »
It seems to me that a Stuart kit with just one option (like an M8) would be rather small.  However if you include all the options then you end up with a kit which is the same price as the Tiger I, but which still just builds a single small vehicle.  As Ripley said, that may not be attractive. 

What if the kit contained enough parts to build 2 different vehicles?  I think a lot of people would want more than one Stuart variant - light vehicles are popular in Bolt Action.  Having enough parts to build 2 vehicles would justify a Tiger-sized box (which would still be cheaper than buying two separate smaller kits).  Just a thought.

Again, these prototypes look terrific - especially the M8.  I think producing a range of vehicles like this puts Rubicon ahead of Warlord/Italeri.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:55:18 pm by Pinky »