Author Topic: Another Quartet  (Read 3340 times)

Stuart

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Another Quartet
« on: June 27, 2021, 01:49:38 am »
I have a fondness for British Army tanks. Four I would really like to see produced by Rubicon are

The A9 Cruiser

The Matilda

The Cromwell

The Churchill

While I am at it, now that the M48 is in process, is there any possibility of an M48A5 being included when the M48A3 comes on the market? The 48A5 was not produced in time for the Vietnam War, but it is still the best and most capable of the M48 series. In fact the tankers I knew who crewed the A5 said it was a better tank that the M60A3 that it was meant to supplement. Except for the main gun and cupola the outside appearance of the A5 is nearly identical to the A3.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Another Quartet
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 08:53:24 am »
 Warlord / Italeri pretty much have the Matilda , Cromwell , and Churchill ( except Mk VII / Croc ) market  covered , really can't see Rubicon taking a big share of  gamer sales now as you only need one for the game . I as a modeler , like to have a few of each tank , ( 2 Matildas , 2 Churchills and 5 Cromwells  so far  ::) )  so it would really have to be something special for me to get another ,al though I really want a Crocodile ( or 2 )

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 03:52:16 pm »
I have to agree with ripley here. Even if Rubicon Models released a Matilda , Cromwell , and Churchill kit, I don't see myself picking up any, or maybe only one. Yes, even though I question the choice what Italeri/Warlord did with the Matilda's track sets, it's still a pretty good kit.

Would it be great to see all the main WW2 tanks and vesicles produced by Rubicon models?
Certainly yes! Very much so, but many gamers (and modellers) would be much more interested in seeing Rubicon Models produce something that is not already available. Oh, I don't know. Maybe something like an M3 Medium tanks (Lee/Grant) for example.  ;)

To date, no one out there produces a good (or even a bad) plastic model kit of the M3 Medium in 1:56 scale.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 08:36:41 pm »
YES for a M3 and maybe a Ram using the running gear  . I would like to see Rubicon make a Churchill VII / Crocodile  in 1/56 . Maybe make their own version of the III with a variety of the AVRE equipment , I'd rather have them in plastic than the resin ones from Warlord .  Also I would like to see them expand on the kits they already have , such as various SPGs on the Panzer IV hull and say a Crusader gun tractor .

Stuart

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 10:30:29 pm »
Concur on the Grant/Lee. That is a hole badly in need of filling.

I am a modeler, not a gamer, and I have the Warlord models of the Matilda, Cromwell, and Churchill. I found them less than satisfactory, for a number of reasons. Built them all before I knew Rubicon existed. I do see your point though. Plastic models are expensive to produce, and there must be better than good prospects on a return on investment.

I have gone over exclusively to Rubicon because of the options they provide, and their attention to detail, without requiring the builder to be a magician with the assembly of twenty parts to make a steel ball. The instructions are clear, leaving no question as to what parts go where. Compare that to the Warlord Matilda turret, where I spent more time researching exactly where all those bits and pieces go, than I did assembling the entire model . In short Rubicon makes a better product, for the same or lesser price. I can purchase a Hanomag 251 for instance, mail order, and pay less for it, including postage than I would if I go to my local hobby shop and purchase the Warlord 251 over the counter.

The only disappointment I have ever had with a Rubicon kit was the chunky hunk of plastic they give you for the headlamps/brush guards for the Crusader. Even then they give you the headlamps as a separate piece with the instructions on how to construct the brush guards from wire stock.

So to me Rubicon is the gold standard in 1/56 scale, a scale that perfectly fits my space for storage limitations. That's why I asked them to consider three of this latest quartet of mine. I can understand market forces though and will respect their decision. Now how about the A9, a tank that is both important historically and double ugly.?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 12:58:21 am by Stuart »

Ursus Maior

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 06:11:37 pm »
While I am at it, now that the M48 is in process, is there any possibility of an M48A5 being included when the M48A3 comes on the market? The 48A5 was not produced in time for the Vietnam War, but it is still the best and most capable of the M48 series. In fact the tankers I knew who crewed the A5 said it was a better tank that the M60A3 that it was meant to supplement. Except for the main gun and cupola the outside appearance of the A5 is nearly identical to the A3.
I can only second interest in the M48A5. It's hard to come by in 28 mm with decent details and true scale.