Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
General Discussions / Re: Tank Museum Tour UK / Europe
« Last post by Tracks on August 26, 2022, 09:26:42 am »
Not in Europe, but also, don't over look some of the good tank museums in the US like the National Museum of Military Vehicles in Dubois, WY and the American Heritage Museum in Hudson, MA, to name just two of several good museums worth visiting.

« Last post by Tracks on August 21, 2022, 06:02:16 pm »
Quote from: ripley
...and my friends who are coming with me are interested in the Normandy beaches and battle sites of the WW2 Canadian forces, so we will be doing those.

Don't forget to remind them that Canadian forces played an important role in the Italian campaigns from Operation Husky, to Monte Cassino, to help liberate Rome, to all the way up to the Gothic Line in northern Italy. This might spark an interest to go to Italy (hint, hint). Oh, and did I mention that the tank museum (Museo Storico della Motorizzazione Militare) in Rome has a lot of tanks?

Side Note:
If you and your friends also like aircraft, and you are in Rome, then you have to visit the Italian Airforce Museum (Museo Storico Aeronautica Militare) which is just north-west of Rome located at the picturesque Lake Bracciano.
« Last post by ripley on August 21, 2022, 11:03:13 am »
I wasn't even thinking about going to Italy , but maybe I'll have to rethink my plans . My main interest is tanks and so the major museums are a given , and my friends who are coming with me are interested in the Normandy beaches and battle sites of the WW2 Canadian forces , so we will be doing those . I guess it depends on how much time we can spend over there and the dollar value we have to spend . The travel agents here in Canada tend to plan trips that cater to the vets who fought in Europe where as we want to take in a lot more that covers are hobby interests . At least we have lots of time to figure stuff out and any info past on  is appreciated
« Last post by Tracks on August 21, 2022, 10:48:14 am »
I know of some battlefield walk tours, but I have not heard of any travel agencies that setup military museum tours. That being said, how hard can it be to just plan to visit the museums on your own? This way you have the flexibility to spend more time at a site if needed. For example, when I went to the Bovington tank museum (before the change), I gave myself one full day. However, I ended up going back the next day because one day wasn't enough.

Also, if you want to go to the tank and car museum in Italy (Museo Storico della Motorizzazione Militare), you have to plan ahead and be prepared for on the spot changes. Because it is a restricted area, it is by appointment only, and if the group is not big enough, they tend to cancel the session.

Oh, and if you go to Rome, I highly recommend going to the Piana delle Orme history museum (Museo Storico Piana delle Orme). It is south-east of Rome (about an hour drive) just past the town of Latina. Not well know by visitors, but very much worth checking out. They even added an aircraft and boat park at the back which has about 3-4 military boats and 8-9 military aircraft. However, one day is not enough, and it is somewhat out in a rural area, but well worth a visit if you can.
General Discussions / Tank Museum Tour UK / Europe
« Last post by ripley on August 20, 2022, 03:51:42 am »
 I planning on going to Europe in the summer of 2023 and want to see / tour the tank museums in Bovington , Saumur , Munster and hopefully Kubinka , as well as the Normandy beaches  before I get too old to travel and walk around a lot asking dumb questions like most tourists . My question , does anyone on the forums know of a good UK travel agent who could arrange this type of tour ? Thank you
General Discussions / Re: Israeli M-1 Super Sherman
« Last post by Stuart on August 04, 2022, 07:08:39 am »
I'm sorry I misunderstood you. Thanks for the paint tip.
« Last post by somtec on August 04, 2022, 04:49:57 am »
my model is all rubicon m4a1 76 mated to the hvss suspension.
have you tried this make very nice paint  https://northeastmodelcentre.co.uk/product/paints/acrylic/lifecolor-acrylic/lifecolor-israeli-sandgrey-61-73-22ml/
« Last post by Stuart on August 04, 2022, 01:16:08 am »
Thanks, but I want a model consistent with my others in 1/56 scale. I think I have all I need at the present, although if someone has a good solution for Israeli Sanai Grey, I would sure like to know what it is. I don't have an airbrush so it will have to be something straight out of the can, or an acrylic good for brush painting. I am looking at Mission Models at present, but have not settled on that brand. I suppose I should say that paint request is not for this Super Sherman, that will be in a faded OD, but rather for future Israeli builds like the Centurion.
« Last post by somtec on August 03, 2022, 03:58:08 am »
Definitely better choice would be the m4a1 76mm kit, basically straight out the box for a 56 version with vvss, although they did receive a small number of m4a3 76mm which could also be used but much rarer . I have a 67 version with hvss just about finished , need to get it done and painted, more progress been made since this photo was taken

« Last post by Stuart on August 01, 2022, 05:54:38 am »
Thanks to both of you for your speedy replies.

My impression is that most of what became the M-1 Super Shermans, and yes I am focused on the 1956 War, came from France and some other European surplus. That is why I believed the M4A2 was a better starting place. I do have a set of instructions from the Tamiya M-1 SS kit in 1/35 that a friend gave me yesterday, and the A1 hull does seem to be a better place to start.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10