Author Topic: 234/3 WIP  (Read 5790 times)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
234/3 WIP
« on: November 06, 2018, 10:56:39 am »
Seeing all the 234/1 kit bashes  got me inspired  to dig out my Puma kit and start work  my 234/3 conversion. I'm  using the 75mm parts from the Rubicon 250/8-251/9 Expansion set and the main vehicle from those other guys .

Depending on how much room there is in the interior ( and how much can be seen ) I might add both front and rear drivers seats and steering wheels .( extra parts from the 250 kit & parts box  ) , as well I need to add the inside details and shape of both side hull escape doors . So far not much luck getting them the right shape , maybe a crew will hide the fact they are missing . The way it usually works is you think you need to add all this interior stuff and it bugs you that its not in there , and  when you finish the vehicle you realize you can't really see it anyway  ::)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: 234/3 WIP
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 01:55:40 am »
Nice work.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 08:52:15 pm »
Its coming together slowly . Lots of cutting and fitting to get the angles right

After some more research and finding some over head diagrams , I realize the panel  over the rear driver is too narrow and the angle of the rear plate is off . So its carefully remove the wrong pieces and try again . This panel looks better . Now to turn a 6 inch square of plastic sheet into a 1 inch by quarter inch panel , lots of waste material in this kind of build  ::)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 11:41:54 pm »
Looking good.
Don't forget to show the final result.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 05:25:40 am »
The angle on the rear plate is still not quite right  by a mm or 2 , but as this is my third attempt I'm going to let it be . Now to add a few lift rings to the hull sides and finish the paint scheme . I decided to just add an ammo rack , rear driver's seat and the central transmission cover to the interior , once I add crew , you won't much anyway

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 07:34:25 pm »

Great looking kitbash, looking forward to seeing it painted :)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 12:54:38 am »

Great looking kitbash, looking forward to seeing it painted :)
Same here.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 03:04:39 am »
 Just going to paint it a basic Panzer Dunkelgelb shade  and just add license plates, a division sign and a couple of German crosses . Not many photos I've seen show abundant markings or camo on these . Where Dragon got the three color scheme for their 1/35 version , I don't know . But there are probably lots of photos out there I've never seen . For those of you who are going to build any of these 234 types and want a good book  Nuts and Bolts as just released what seems to be the best volume on these 8 wheelers  , according to reviews . As I'm only might do one more , the 234/1 version  if I can track down another Puma , I'm going to pass on that book . Of course if I got it for Xmas I wouldn't say no .... ::).  At the moment I'm making / adding the hull lift rings and scouring the parts box for a Pzr III/IV gun cleaning rod part to ad to the hull side . Also trying find , I know I've got some somewhere , some decals for the  Panzer Division who  these things .( probably decal my Motorbike / sidecar  unit  to match )

The gun cleaning rods go in the red area , the blue are the lift rings , 4 down each side and a pair on the plate with rear driver's visor . I added both  items  to my original Puma but then covered them up completely with foliage so you can't even see them ...  :-[
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 03:08:58 am by ripley »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 11:30:17 am »
Finally finished the hull side lift rings . I made them over scale as anything smaller is a real pain hold even with tweezers  , never mind trying to drill a hole in  the piece and then put a bend in it . Plus scale sized pieces would probably end up looking like solid bumps when painted .

These look the part and  add a bit of detail which is lacking ( IMO ) in the kit . I will also add the 3 lift hooks on the turret , again an omission by Italeri . Still haven't decided what to use the Puma turret on . The Germans never used them on built in fortifications or West Wall bunkers like older Panzer II or French tank turrets . Maybe a 38(t) based scout tank might be the way to go , sort of like this but replacing the 20mm turret

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:32:45 am by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 05:00:24 pm »
Nice job on the model, especially the lift rings.

The Puma turret will look good on the 38(t),  either type.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 10:48:34 am »
After much messing around on other projects ( binge watching Castle actually  ::) ) , I've finished my 234/3 . I added a couple of Rubicon figures ( seated from the 250/9 set and standing from the 250/8 set ) , I replaced the standing figures right arm and both heads replaced with some metal ones from the parts box . I added some personal kit from BA left overs , the ammo boxes on the rear deck are some resin ones I cast .

Decals were kept to just some small German crosses and front and rear licence plates ( taken from Rubicon 250 set )

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 04:42:06 am »
Very nice work.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 09:39:28 am »
Thanks . It was a fun kit bash ( once I got focused  ::) ) . Think I might get another 250/8 & /9 expansion sets , lots of kit bash ideas .