Author Topic: Krupp Steyr Waffentrager  (Read 4287 times)

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Krupp Steyr Waffentrager
« on: July 27, 2018, 10:33:05 pm »

Finally got around to finishing the Waffentrager picked up at Salute - pretty much everything's been said about the superlative quality of the kit (best resin thing I've ever worked on). The only improvements I'd like to have seen were a little interior turret detail (you can't see that much - but some nondescript lumps to represent radio, fire extinguisher, stowage etc would have been good, that said, they weren't difficult to add either).
 It is still waiting for me to finish the crew models (a mix of Rubicon & WG/Italeri bits) - but they do fit & appear to be doing something (I'll post a pic when they're safely ensconced).
 I kept to a very simple paintjob, just some DG patterning over a green base, with fairly minimal weathering (finally beginning to get the hang of the 'less is more' thing :P)
 Hope you like it, as ever, all comments & tips welcome.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Krupp Steyr Waffentrager
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 12:33:22 am »
Where's all the late war red primer all these things were supposed to be painted  in ??? lol . Very nice , I think you've got the less is more thing down pat .

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 08:41:18 pm »

Cheers Ripley :)
 Here's the pics with the crew installed.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 09:04:36 pm »
Nice job getting the crew to fit . And your right , they do appear to be manning the gun as apposed to just sitting in there .  Might I suggest  you change the color of the gun breach to the base hull color  , the interior  white really stands out . Open top vehicles , from all nations had any interior surface that was visible from overhead ( by planes ) usually painted in the vehicle base color .  Although , the contrast really does look good . Sort of like the interior white visible on open hatches on my T-34s and Panzer IIIs . It was done from time to time , although it does give the enemy an aiming point and defeats the purpose of all the shrubbery you covered your vehicle in  ::)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 10:21:55 pm »
Excellent.
I look forward to seeing the turret interior photographs.
Okay,, missed that post.

More excellent, going to study that on the big screen for pointers.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:26:10 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 11:44:28 pm »

Cheers UVS & Ripley for the kind words :)
 @Ripley - yes, its interior probably should have been the same as the base exterior colour (as seen in open topped vehicles such as the Panzerjeager which this could be seen in the lineage of) rather than the Cremeweiss/Elfbeinweiss used on tank interiors & originally it was - unfortunately, to me at least, it just looked like a murky green mess with any of the detail I'd put in disappearing (probably wouldn't have been an issue if the exterior base colour had been DG instead, but as I was going really late war & of course weird I went for the green & it just looked too dark to me). So here it was more a case of historical accuracy losing out to me preferring how it looked with the cream interior  :D

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 12:16:09 am »
I think the contrasting gun breach looks good.  Nice work on what I think is a rather plain looking model.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 12:47:29 am »
It is making me rethink my turret/gun colours (I was originally thinking a refurbished Tiger II gun in a new turret).

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 03:48:31 am »
I know what you mean , sometimes the rule of cool , out ways the rule of real . That's why most of my tanks have white interior on most open hatches  ;D . And your right , to paint the breech the body color in that small space would cause all the details to dissapear