Author Topic: My very first Rubicon Models.  (Read 8983 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
My very first Rubicon Models.
« on: October 19, 2017, 11:45:18 pm »
I only learned about Rubicon Models not that long ago. Since my local model shops do not carry them, I had to order online from someplace that does have them in stock. I finally got my very first Rubicon Models! See picture below.

I was going to post this under "Showcase & Gallery", but the note says, "Showcase your work here!". However, since these models are not even opened yet, much less assembled and painted, I better post here under "General Discussions" instead.

I tried to get the Panzer IV kit and the older M4 kit (with the 75mm gun turret), but sadly they informed me that they had none in stock. And of course, Rubicon Models has discontinued these kits, so I'm forced to wait for the new Panzer IV kit to be released - which could take awhile.

This coming weekend I am looking forward to opening the boxes and seeing what is inside. Sometime later, I should have something to post for the "Showcase & Gallery" thread.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: My very first Rubicon Models.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 03:47:23 am »
I would have posted it under Showcase,  I have a thread there for all my work, however tangential.
http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=281.msg7207#msg7207

http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=281.msg4038#msg4038

Link fixed.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 03:21:03 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 08:16:44 am »
Nice stash of kits . You might want to order a couple of the Allied and Axis  stowage sets as your going to need those tanks covered in gear  ;D Hopefully Rubicon will have the tank crew sets out sooner than later  ::)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 01:50:03 pm »
I would have posted it under Showcase,  I have a thread there for all my work, however tangential.
http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=281.msg7207#msg7207

[url][http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=281.msg4038#msg4038/url]

I almost did, but the note "Showcase your work here!" made me think otherwise. Also, when I checked nobody else were posting pics of just the kit boxes alone.

I'll have to go through your thread, but I noticed that your first post to start the thread was of a completed kit (Tiger I). Soon I should have some complete kits to share and post.

Nice stash of kits . You might want to order a couple of the Allied and Axis  stowage sets as your going to need those tanks covered in gear  ;D Hopefully Rubicon will have the tank crew sets out sooner than later  ::)

I was temped to get one each of the stowage sets, but decided to just focus on the vehicles because I wanted to see for myself if these kits were any good. I read that they are, but soon I will find out first hand (this weekend).

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 02:30:28 pm »
That's a nice stash of kits.  I think the M4A3E8, M8 GMC, SdKfz 250 and JgdPzr 38t are the pick of this crop, although they are all pretty good.  You'll want the accessory sets to 'populate' vehicles like the SAS Jeep and Maultier.

It's a point that gets debated, but I strongly recommend using a liquid cement to assemble these - make sure it is appropriate for Rubicon's plastic.   

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 03:48:54 pm »
I almost did, but the note "Showcase your work here!" made me think otherwise. Also, when I checked nobody else were posting pics of just the kit boxes alone.

I'll have to go through your thread, but I noticed that your first post to start the thread was of a completed kit (Tiger I). ).

The second (previously broken) link was to my purchases at Salute 2016.

I agree with Ripley and Pinky about the stowage sets (you can never have enough - I need another German one for my Hercules - Sherman VC project).

I have built the 253 and the Jagdpanzer 38(t) (the former is awaiting spray paint for undercoat, the latter had a too spotty ambush pattern and will be revisited). Both are excellent. I look forward to seeing your work on the E8, I have one awaiting construction when I get the opportunity.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 07:53:25 pm »
With the options to build various marks or versions of vehicle ( Tiger - early , mid late . Crusader I , II , III , AA , etc ) you've got the right idea to get doubles of the  kits . It took me ages to decide which version of the Tiger to build  ::) . And I ended up getting 3 SU- 85/122 kits, the neat part is , that if your careful you can swap the upper hulls so one kit get you two gaming vehicles 

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 09:08:04 pm »
Now that I have had time to examine the models kits and even start assembly, I can give Rubicon Models some feedback if they want.

For everyone else, well, overall I'm very happy with these Rubicon Models. There are so many good things to say I will not even bother. Instead, I will only focus on aspects of the kits I dislike the most. That doesn't mean I'm going to be very picky and comment about every little thing. I will only point out what actually surprised me the most. However, now that I put it that way, there is only two things that stand out the most that surprised me. This is in regards to the track detail on some of the model kits and the wheels on the Jeep. I was actually surprised by this.

Tank Tracks:
The M4A3/M4A3E8 kit is a strange one. The front part of the tracks have pretty good detail, but the rear part is very much plain. Now I would expect this for the bottom, but the detail for the visible part of the front and back should be the same. The tracks for the Tiger I is also a bit plain. Especially compared to the Warlord Tiger I kit. Some modellers would just say "Just add mud and dirt and you can't see the difference". However, tracks were not always covered in lots of muck and dirt. There are many actual combat photographs showing the details of the tacks very nicely because they are not all covered in obstructing mud, grass, and dirt. Anyway, I was just surprised by the lack of details on some of the visible parts of the tracks.

Jeep Wheels:
The Rubicon Jeep kits are nice. I like the kits... but I'm a bit disappointed in the wheels (parts B09, B10, B18, B19, and B08). The wheels themselves look nice, but the tire sidewall is high giving the tire a balloon look. What seemed to have happened was that the wheel rim was not done correctly. A good example of what the wheel should have looked like is clearly shown on the box art for the Commonwealth Willys MB kit (Product Code: 280050). Because of the tan colored wheel rims, you clearly can see how the wheels should have looked. The actual wheels for the model suffers in that the rim is not done correctly thereby giving the tire itself a larger than normal sidewall. Except for the the excessive sidewalls of the tires, the Rubicon Jeep is a fantastic kit.

Nitpicking:
Not focusing on instructional errors, there are a few other little aspects that came up.  As an example, for the SdKfz 250 kit (Product Code: 280032), when step 10 is reached, parts B43 and A44 need to be fitted correctly BEFORE proceeding further. The parts need some finessing to fit correctly. Once those pieces are affixed correctly, then attach A21 and A16 to the hull. However, to help with track alignment, trim about 1mm to 1.5mm off the pin that parts B43 and A44 slip onto. This will help to position the tracks parallel. Otherwise, your tracks might suffer from "toe-out" at the front. Once A21 and A16 are straight and parallel, attach parts B39, B40, B41, and B42 to the track assembly.

Rubicon Models:
I like these kits and I hope to see more from this company in the future.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:20:17 pm by Tracks »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 11:12:48 pm »
I agree that the decision to only put the tread detail on the front section of the M4A3E8 tracks is unsatisfactory.  It's the same with all the other Shermans.  It was apparently a cost issue - producing the slide moulds to do both the back and front was too expensive.  It's the only real flaw in the kit.  Still, it's a big improvement over the original design.  I'm sure the Tiger's tracks will get similar treatment in due course.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 02:07:17 am »
Yes I agree , some of the kits do have a few things that could be improved . That being said , it would increase the production costs and the parts count as well as make a hybrid gaming piece / model into more of a scale model ( more tiny , parts ) , which would probably affect sales to Gamers . IMO Rubicon's kits are a compromise  I can live with . If I want open not solid lift rings on my Shermans , I'll make my own . If I want more detail on hatch interiours or open hatches  I'll make /  add my own ( early kits only had commanders hatch open ) . The track still bugs me a little , but I have been weathering and basing my kits so that problem is resolved for me . A lot of resin models have low detailed track as well so its not something we don't already know how to deal with , just one of the limitations of the hobby/ game scale . I was thinking of adding small pieces of plastic window screen to represent the track shoe pattern on my T-34s but it got tedious very quickly  ::) . Rubicon does listen to constructive comments ( unlike other companies )and have acted on them . That's why we have a new Sherman M4A3 coming as well as the redone Panzer IV kits and ( next year hopefully ) the Panzer III .

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 04:58:33 pm »
Tank Tracks:
The M4A3/M4A3E8 kit is a strange one. The front part of the tracks have pretty good detail, but the rear part is very much plain. Now I would expect this for the bottom, but the detail for the visible part of the front and back should be the same. The tracks for the Tiger I is also a bit plain. Especially compared to the Warlord Tiger I kit. Some modellers would just say "Just add mud and dirt and you can't see the difference". However, tracks were not always covered in lots of muck and dirt. There are many actual combat photographs showing the details of the tacks very nicely because they are not all covered in obstructing mud, grass, and dirt. Anyway, I was just surprised by the lack of details on some of the visible parts of the tracks.

This is a much-debated topic whether you wanted a one-piece roadwheel with tracks or a multi-part assembly.  To do a single-piece assembly with all the details, you need a multi-slide mould for each track.  There are two assemblies on each tank.  Furthermore, there are different track links and bogie system combination which up-scaled the cost of mould making even more!

Once the vehicle was painted and assembled, and being placed on the table for gaming, don't think a lot of gamers will even care about the track details.  It is a trade-off between "ease-of-assembly" or "give you a hard time" type of argument.  For us, this particular design is best of both worlds.  With a single-sided slide-moulding, we get both front-end track details and holes in the gun barrels for not much of a production cost increase; thus keeping our retail price down.

We are also exploring the possibilities of creating some aftermarket tracks with full details in either resin or pewter, which will be quite expensive because of the expected low volume and the extra work that is needed to do it.  We would rather spend the time to create more new vehicles than addressing a minor issue that most people ignored. When there is new breakthrough in cost or production of mould making, we will surely continue to provide upgrades to our product range.

;)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 02:33:48 am »
Thank you Rubicon Models for taking the time to add your comments and explanation to the thread. I really appreciate that, and I found it informative.

As for exploring the possibilities of creating some aftermarket tracks with full details in either resin or pewter, well, my vote would be against this. Instead, I would rather see Rubicon Models spend that time creating more new 1/56 scale (28mm) vehicles in plastic. In fact, I just ordered some of the new kits that were just released. Looking forward to receiving the new PaK 36 AT Gun with Crew,  M4A2 Sherman / Sherman III, and British CMP 15cwt Truck model kits.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 09:18:26 pm »
I have started on the M4 medium tanks, and there is one thing I really like! Okay, there is more than one thing, but one of the feathers is that you get two 50 Cal. MGs - one is for the modeller and the other is for the gamer. I really like this idea and wish all the Rubicon kits have this option because the MG for the Sdkfz 250 and the MG for the Jagdpanzer 38(t) are for modellers.

I will have to start a new post in the "Showcase & Gallery" if anyone is interested in seeing my completed kits.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 09:21:51 pm by Tracks »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 10:27:33 pm »
I will have to start a new post in the "Showcase & Gallery" if anyone is interested in seeing my completed kits.
Definitely.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 12:16:02 am »
These just arrived today!

Here is the second batch of some of my very first Rubicon kits. I am enjoying the first batch so much that I had planned to order more. However, they are not easy to get in my area, and I have to make a special ordered (mail order), but even while the paint was still drying on the kit I was currently working on, I had put in an order for a few more. This time I included some Soviet Union vehicles. And of course some of the newly released kits.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 12:19:23 am by Tracks »