Author Topic: NEW plastic US Infantry by Perry Miniatures  (Read 5731 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
NEW plastic US Infantry by Perry Miniatures
« on: March 10, 2019, 09:07:51 pm »
Here are the sample frames from Renedra of the upcoming multipose 28mm US Infantry from the Perrys.

They're aiming at Salute for the release date (April 6).  More info on their Facebook page.

The box will contain 42 figures, enough to represent a full strength platoon of three squads plus HQ. There are also two additional Browning .30 cals for extra support, should you need them. As well as all the Garands and BARs you need there are a variety of optional weapons like M1 Carbines, Thompsons, Springfields with grenade launcher and Springfield with scope, Grease guns, and the M1A1 Bazooka. All wear the 2nd pattern 'Parsons' jacket, although disliked by the GI, were worn from Operation Torch, Tunisia, Sicily, the landings in Italy and Normandy through to the end of the war by some units.

Enjoy!
;)

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: NEW plastic US Infantry by Perry Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 11:27:32 pm »
Enough Garands for a whole squad, like Warlord messed up on their plastic US infantry.

I’ll be picking up a few boxes of these I think.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 01:17:43 am »
Thanks for posting this.

It has been a while since the Afrika Korp. British in long trousers would be nice.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 03:56:49 pm »
Rubicon Models, thank you for sharing.

These new plastic figures from the Perry brothers look very good. I like how their figures are less "Heroic" and come closer to normal proportions than most wargaming manufactures.

Model companies (like Tamiya for example) tend to make figures that are more anatomically correct than wargaming figure manufactures. The latter tend to have oversized heads, hands, and weapons, because sculptors like to put more emphasis on those parts. This of course confuses people because you get a 1:56 scale wargaming figure with 1:48 scale heads, hands, and weapons. This is also being tagged these days as Heroic Scale.

What is Heroic Scale? Here is a good visual someone posted on BoardGameGeek.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 05:23:34 pm »
I don't mind heroic scale.  It recognises that exaggerating certain features of a model in that scale give it more character.  Realistically proportioned figures can look a little bland. Oversized weapons are also both easier to identify and less fragile.   

And I dunno if you can really hold Tamiya up as an example of realistic figures.  As a rule, their figures are too slim and idealised in terms of physique, and their uniforms are far too close-fitting.  Their Germans, for example, are straight out of a period recruiting poster, and bear little resemblance to what you see in photos. 

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 09:12:35 pm »
Perry Miniatures are a balance of anatomically correct and heroic size, but I agree with you in that oversized weapons are both easier to identify and less fragile. From a wargaming point of view, the less fragile is a plus. One of the reasons I really appreciate it when Rubicon Models sometimes offers two types of MG. One for modellers and one for gamers (a less fragile one). Sadly, they do not do this will all their kits.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 10:01:50 pm »
Many model companies have modified the size of their figures over the years . Tamiya's 70s figures were on the small size as they used tje average Japanese male as a scale reference , not a European male . Japanese average height is shorter than Europeans . In the 80s they had more scale figures but all had the same body type , no beer guts , tall skinny dudes etc , they were all clones with different unis . Their modern kits , Archer , SU-76 , Nashorn , M3 AC , etc , have awesome 3D rendered figures using  real people in real uniforms  if the internet is to believed , but they are great looking figures , almost as good as resin ( so heads are so - so IMO ) . Their 1/48 figures are still stuck in the 80s as one size seems to fit all , great kits  for parts and tank crew bodies . Pretty much the same story can be told for a lot of the 1/35 companies , Dragon , Italeri , Trumpeter and Master Box . For some reason Mini Arts figured started out over scale , more 1/32 or larger but have now scaled down to true 1/35 . I do like the heroic style 28mm plastics as they have a Commando Comic vibe to them

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 11:05:47 am »
Quote from: ripley
In the 80s they had more scale figures but all had the same body type , no beer guts , tall skinny dudes etc , they were all clones with different unis.

I think one of the reasons why they did that was because you do not see a lot of "beer guts" in WW2 combat photos and combat film footage. I'm not saying there are none at all, but the most common soldier in WW2 was a young, thin lad. Certainly, WW2 reenactors are full of out of shape [pun intended] soldiers, but that is to be expected.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 12:04:35 pm »
OK maybe beer gut was the wrong word , but there were a variety of shapes , sizes and heights in WW2 , it's only been the last 10 years or so we've seen that reflected in model soldiers , at first in resin and later in plastic