Author Topic: VW Type 1 (Beetle) - TS1 Painted 190528  (Read 17232 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: VW Type 1 (Beetle) - TS1 Sprue 190525
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 03:56:43 pm »
I am just painting the Tamiya 1/48 scale model (for post 1960s I use 1/50 - 1/48 scale vehicles for 28mm), and it makes an interesting comparison.

The only thing not present on the Rubicon kit is an option for wheels with hub caps, and there is no glazing.

I am glad you went to the trouble of doing the two sets of headlights. I think from looking at the body shell the Notek is optional.

Have you contemplated doing later body shells in resin?

For other markets, a different set of box art might work, however VAG might pay more attention.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 04:03:03 pm »
Have you contemplated doing later body shells in resin?
Following on from your Mad Max thoughts, what about a dune buggy body shell in resin?

Captain Blood

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 07:37:55 pm »
We had reference material for the VW Beetle on hand, so we used it as a "filler".  Furthermore, we can see uses for this kit for wargaming or modelling from 1938 to 2038!  It's a lovely period piece for WW2, but given the lifetime and worldwide popularity of the "Bug", it would also work on a modern or future sci-fi project easily.  Many customers see great potential for road-warrior type conversions or just rusted out street furniture...  It is also a great kit for us to branch out of the WW2 period and reach out to other customer groups.

;)

For goodness sake, you guys are doing a brilliant job and it pains me that you appear to constantly have to justify yourselves to one or two individuals who are endlessly trying to tell you NOT to make your beautiful models, because they want you to concentrate your efforts on other models that they would like to see. It’s really incredibly selfish, and the endless repetition of the same argument is tiresome. You’ve explained repeatedly why you do things the way you do, including development projects for designers and easy-to-make ‘fillers’ using common components from other kits. Perhaps the critics should just let you get on and produce the projects you want to produce, rather than constantly opining what bad business sense it is, and how you should be doing everything differently  ::)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 02:08:19 am »
Okay, I have found another use for them.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Beetle#Post-war_production_and_boom
"By March 1946 the factory was producing 1,000 cars a month (in [British] Army khaki, under the name Volkswagen Type 1)".
Corgi did an O Gauge one.
https://www.corgi.co.uk/vw-beetle-type-1-british-army-military-police.html
A possible option for the decal sheet? No idea if the Corgi one is accurate.
@Captain Blood - yes.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 02:11:37 am by ultravanillasmurf »

Jaeger

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 11:55:44 am »
First Plsatic test shot looks great!  Any options for sand tires?

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 12:25:13 pm »

Maybe the ones from the Kübelwagen kit can be modified to be used on the Beetle kit.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: VW Type 1 (Beetle) - TS1 Painted 190528
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2019, 01:53:08 pm »
Our first VW Beetle testshot assembled and painted for review.

Still have some minor issues and a possible update on selected parts on the sprue, but the overall quality is acceptable.

Enjoy!
;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2019, 03:13:45 pm »

Maybe the ones from the Kübelwagen kit can be modified to be used on the Beetle kit.
Looking at the sprue photograph and the Kubelwagen assembly sheet, parts A36 and A37 appear on the Beetle sprue. A40 and A41 have been replaced with a front axle part. Without being able to see the underside of the Beetle sprue it is difficult to say definitely, but it does look like you should be able to do a straight swap, subject to there being room in the wheel arch.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2019, 03:17:15 pm »
The assembled and painted model looks great.

Wikipedia mentioned use in North Africa, is this backed up by more reputable sources?

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2019, 05:44:17 pm »

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2019, 02:04:32 am »
Mr. Blood,
   Yes, you are correct. Rubicon is doing a brilliant job. They have asked for input and feedback, and do not have to justify their decisions to anybody,on this forum at least,but they choose to do so. Other companies do not even take requests or criticisms of their upcoming projects, let alone share what their upcoming projects will be.
   I can see why forum members can question some of their decisions. I have, and I would like to see them flourish. I would hate to see them invest a lot of money in a project  and loose money, which could then in effect, push back or cancel some project. That is why I have questioned why they would take on a project like the giant tracked mortar in 1/56 scale. It may be cool, and look great, but how many people would actually purchase one? Rubicon has stated why they decided to tackle that project. I can respect their decision.
   Also, by Rubicon posting their future projects, it is a good thing, and not such a good thing. Some projects seem to get pushed back, while some new projects are moved ahead. That is fine, and entirely Rubicon's call to make. But some projects, like the M4A1 Sherman tank have been pushed back a few times.It was first discussed on this forum in 2015, and is according to Rubicon's schedule, to be released, I believe, later this year. I can see Rubicon selling a lot more M4A1 Sherman kits than a giant tracked mortar,but it is ultimately their decision to make.
 Yes, I guess some selfishness is involved in kit requests. Everyone have their own special interests that they would like to see made into plastic. Unfortunately, you can't  please everybody, but it doesn't  hurt to ask for certain vehicles to be made into plastic kits.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 02:06:26 am by H0ffmn »

Captain Blood

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2019, 03:44:50 am »
Mr H0ffmn...
Oh we all do it. We are all diehard enthusiasts for the toys we want, and we want them NOW  ;)
While the Perrys were busily churning out seemingly interminable Napoleonic plastic sets while I was impatiently waiting for more medieval releases, I was certainly on various forums bitching about why they were wasting time with Nappies rather than prioritising MY interests. It’s the selfish, obsessive nature of we hobbyists. So I totally understand it. But it just feels incessant here. Almost every new release, and especially the more esoteric or less mainstream choices (which personally I applaud for their invention and boldness) is greeted with a repeat refrain of (and I paraphrase) ‘why are you wasting your time doing that when you should be making XYZ instead’. I find it wearing as an onlooker, so goodness knows what the guys at Rubicon must feel about the constant complaining.
I’m pretty sure they know their business and the economics of their production inside out. They seem an extremely professional and commercial outfit. They may choose to make certain models for other reasons than sales alone (training, development, or just because they feel like it). Being endlessly advised ‘this won’t sell as well as XYZ’ must be a bit boring for them...

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2019, 08:01:46 am »
Blood - why should people who question release decisions not be able to say so?  Rubicon have made this forum available and don't censor the debate.  They've also (sometimes) benefitted from criticism of their decisions.  If you're happy with everything then that's great - continue to tell them so.  Noone will think you're a 'fanboi' or anything like that.  There is another member here who likes to snipe at people who post about technical and historical issues - why?   If it all ultimately results in better kits and, sometimes, redirects a questionable decision, then it's all good. 

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2019, 02:29:31 pm »

Ah, when this cover was posted originally I had not spotted the AK palm tree (desert colour and dunkelgelb can be difficult to tell apart).

Thanks.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2019, 03:25:21 pm »
This is me trying to pour some oil on troubled waters, not throwing a lighted match on it (on the oil, if you throw a lighted match on troubled water you just get a brief fizz).

@Pinky - my impression was that Captain Blood's original point was the repetitive nature of the release complaints (I know that I have dug out my previous thoughts on why Our Gracious Hosts have made some development decisions, and though I do not think I just cut and pasted text, I certainly covered the same ground in replies).

The M4A1 is an interesting example. Our Gracious Hosts showed us their model and we said "M3 bogies and non direct vision hoods, that is not right". Other companies would have pressed on regardless. Rubicon went back and designed one for us, which would have totally thrown their production schedule into disarray. So not only have they a new part (the hull) to design, they have to rearrange the sprues and then find some space in the limited plastic moulding process.

We are one of the reasons for the delay to the M4A1, but because we challenged them, we and Rubicon get a better product.