Author Topic: Scenery Range - Dragon Teeth & Czech Hedgehog 181214  (Read 28986 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: New Scenic Range - More Fence Info 171126
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 01:41:21 am »
Is anyone else going to martini the British infantry?
?

Over the page.

Are they home grown figures?

Slapped wrist for holding the magazine.

The helmet looks small.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 01:56:44 am by ultravanillasmurf »

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 03:20:54 am »
They do appear to be. They look like Rubicon’s bases too.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: New Scenic Range - Log & Plank Fence 171124
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 09:34:38 pm »
They look good . But ... there are lots of fence kits available in plastic / resin / laser cut HDF  in 1/56 - 28mm from large model / gaming companies to small after market one man operations , what do these offer the other stuff dosen't ? Not trying to be a jerk here  :-[ , but what makes your kit stand out in the crowd ?

I'm with ripley on this one. Modellers and gamers can get these things easily, and they can even make them pretty easily as well. In fact, most of the fences I use on my gaming tables are hand made by me and my friends, and they look better than some of the best plastic fences you can buy at a model railroad shop.

Fences are easy to make, but what we can't make is something like a plastic Panzer 38(t), SdKfz 10 Halftrack, or even a M3 Medium Tank.

It is your enthusiasm for plastic vehicles in 1/56 scale (28mm) that caught my interest and drew me into ordering you kits, and I would like to see more focus on those. I'm still impatiently waiting for the Pak 40 AT gun. Being side-tracked with plastic fences means we have to wait longer for the good stuff like a M3 Medium Tank, and a longer wait for that Pak 40?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 10:19:29 pm »
I wonder if Rubicon are using the fences as an exercise, both to see if there is a market and for new staff.

As they have noted, the main bottle neck is the mould production. This is far simpler than the slide mould required for the track.

The Pak 40 is listed for quarter 4 (okay that will probably overrun) but would be unaffected by any design work they are doing now.

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 11:33:03 pm »
I guess this will come down to price point.  As others have stated, I am here for the vehicles. Others have been offering terrain longer. If this is an attempt to branch out into something else (perhaps something that can go from design to molds to retail shelves a lot faster than complicated vehicles) then I wish you luck.

Renedra offer just under 2 feet of picket fencing for £4.  I first encountered this fencing when I bought one of their ACW farm houses, and it included some picket fencing. I have since purchased many, many more feet of their great picket fencing.  I wonder how the pricing of Rubicon fencing will compare?

Pegasus offer up some pre-painted fencing, of which I have several dozen feet worth. They have a two beam wooden fence. a round stone fence, and a cut stone fence (all are 3' for $15 and they are pre-painted).  I probably have 3-4 sets of each type.

Not sure what I would do with the log fence shown. Does not look like it would offer concealment or cover. I've never seen a fence like that before (I'm a yank who has never traveled in Europe).  Is that supposed to be some sort of eastern Europe fencing?

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 03:59:27 pm »
I've never seen a fence like that before (I'm a yank who has never traveled in Europe).  Is that supposed to be some sort of eastern Europe fencing?

I too have not seen a "Log Fences" like the ones shown in the pictures. I would make a guess that this log fencing will not be popular with some gamers and modellers.

If we may ask, where does the inspiration for this specific log fence come from?

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 10:11:00 am »
Something that was pointed out in a different thread about the log fence, there is no rope shown lashing the logs together. So the logs must be spiked. Not nailed, as logs would be too thick, so some sort of very heavy-duty spike would need to be used. And that just doesn't sound like the sort of thing a rural farmer would have to use.

There was a reason certain fencing was used extensively during some periods of American history, (split-rail zig-zag fencing comes to mind - sometimes called Snake Fencing): No fence posts, so no fence post holds to dig. No nailing or lashing.  The beams were laid across one another at each overlap juncture, and angled so as to be stable. Didn't require a trip to town to get anything to "build" a fence. You felled some trees you cut them into squarish beams, and you made a fence.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/Split_rail_fencing.jpg

I am still curious just where the log fence that Rubicon is making really comes from.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 11:39:14 am »
We're now discussing the construction method for log fences...

Here's something similar to Rubicon's fence.  This is apparently in Russia. 

My issues with Rubicon's log fence are (1) it's too open, so it doesn't look like it would provide cover or block movement, (2) it's rather basic, so it's not visually very interesting, and (3) the texture on the base looks a bit crude.  It just isn't up the the standard of their vehicle kits.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 04:11:28 pm »
This is a log fence in a Russian museum, possibly the Taltsy museum near Irkutsk.

I might have some more photographs somewhere.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:28:17 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 04:48:59 pm »
My issues with Rubicon's log fence are (1) it's too open, so it doesn't look like it would provide cover or block movement, (2) it's rather basic, so it's not visually very interesting, and (3) the texture on the base looks a bit crude.  It just isn't up the the standard of their vehicle kits.
I agree with Pinky's comments, plus the construction of the model panels would make it difficult to simulate the construction of their example. The horizontals have a substantial overlap, shown in the middle of the model, but how would you  join the panels?

You should have two basic panels, one with high horizontals (three bars?), the other with low ones (two bars?). The left hand end of a panel has vertical posts (three or four) with the right hand end having just the horizontal poles. You then assemble the fences high panel, low panel, rinse and repeat.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:53:02 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 05:53:27 pm »
A couple of fences from a museum in the Czech republic.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 05:25:47 am »
To be fair my cousin’s farm in Poland has similar fences.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Jaeger

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 01:08:08 pm »
So...perhaps it should just be sprues of logs and slats. 
FENCE. 
Some assembly required.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Scenery Range - New Brick Wall Set 180630
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2018, 03:30:31 pm »
A new set for our scenery range... City Brick Wall set!

Enjoy!
;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: Scenery Range - New Brick Wall Set 180630
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2018, 03:55:48 pm »
Interesting idea. They do look nice.

Is the base of the wall supposed to be concrete? I ask because it appears to be one piece not built of stones.

Are you going to do some breached sections?