Author Topic: SdKfz 173 Jagdpanther - Rear Exhaust Options 180915  (Read 33217 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
SdKfz 173 Jagdpanther - Rear Exhaust Options 180915
« on: September 02, 2017, 11:25:33 am »
Welcome to our Jagdpanther project.

The original teaser was moved to "General Discussion".  This will be a new topic on the Jagdpanther project.

This project is based on our existing Panthers (280014 & 280015) with further enhancements to the existing drawings.  We have basically:
- added details to the front tracks
- provides additional rear exhaust options

We then add two Jagdpanther hulls to represent early, mid, and late production variants with three different gun shields and mantlets, also choice of muzzle brake as well.

Enjoy!
;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 03:01:29 pm by Rubicon Models »

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: SdKfz 173 Jadgpanther 170902
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 11:41:49 am »
Jaeger can spot 'em  in the dark.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 12:44:57 am »
Nice.

Are the tow cables on the hull sides going to be separate items?

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 02:47:03 am »

Yes, they are separate parts and optional too! ;)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 04:13:02 am »
With every new kit you guys release , you guys up your game . From stowage pieces , to crew figures , to optional open / closed hatches , optional vehicle parts for different marks and now separate tow cables , well done

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 05:13:50 am »

Yes, they are separate parts and optional too! ;)
Excellent.

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 11:45:44 pm »
 A cool project, I look forward to seeing it, the tow cables as seperate pieces are a nice touch (are they likely to be all plastic, or just the eyes & some wire/thread - the former provides ease of assembly, the latter more flexibility on placement).

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 01:10:04 am »
A cool project, I look forward to seeing it, the tow cables as seperate pieces are a nice touch (are they likely to be all plastic, or just the eyes & some wire/thread - the former provides ease of assembly, the latter more flexibility on placement).

We have not decided which to include, but we had both done!  Really depends on if they will fit on the sprue(s)!

Jaeger

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 11:00:05 am »
I love this AFV.
Many photos show one tow cable already hooked up to the towing eye.
I look forward to this kit.
It would make a great holiday gift.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 11:12:52 am »
A few thoughts:

1. Great to see the Jagdpanther coming.  One of my favourite German vehicles - ever since I built the Matchbox one with the scenic base (which was big even in 1/76 scale!).

2. I feel that providing multiple exhausts is a bit unnecessary - especially for wargamers.  Surely 3 variants is enough. 

3.  Since you're covering all the variants, how about the command version?  These didn't have many differences, but many had a stowage box on the left side of the upper rear hull plate.

4. Late types seem to have had the gun cleaning tube repositioned along the top of the rear hull plate.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 12:04:49 pm »
IRC the stowage box on the rear of the upper hull , moving the gun cleaning kit tube to the rear and as well as moving the tools was the work of one unit in Normandy . I think traveling through the hedgerows they tended to loose and damage kit so their work shop moved stuff . It wasn't by any means just a command tank variation . At this stage of the war command vehicles got the Star antenna pot on the rear deck  and some stowage tubes for the it. Anything else like the bed frame antenna and lots of stowage boxes made you stand out as a special vehicle , ie: first to be knocked out by opposing forces

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 12:10:33 pm »
Ripley - I don't think it was just one unit that repositioned the tube - it shows up in photos of post-Normandy vehicles (like the 3rd one in my post, which is clearly a late production vehicle).  This was also done with a lot of Panther Gs.  The stowage box also appears in at least one photo of a late production vehicle.  I did notice that a lot of vehicles have the side tool racks removed, and have a very plain appearance as a result. 

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 01:27:06 pm »
2. I feel that providing multiple exhausts is a bit unnecessary - especially for wargamers.  Surely 3 variants is enough. 

It will really depend on sprue space.  We have many "large" parts on this kit!

3.  Since you're covering all the variants, how about the command version?  These didn't have many differences, but many had a stowage box on the left side of the upper rear hull plate.

We have one shown on the early variant...

4. Late types seem to have had the gun cleaning tube repositioned along the top of the rear hull plate.

Probably not doing it as it can be easily repositioned by the modeller during kit bashing.  Otherwise, where is the fun from a straight built?  ;)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 09:29:27 pm »
The tube move to the rear became a production feature , the upper hull box was just that one unit ( about 40 JPs )

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 11:27:56 pm »
I did some more research.  Gander's Tanks in Detail, Doyle and Jentz's Panther Variants and Spielberger.

1. The stowage box was an early production feature on all vehicles, not a unit modification.

2. The Befelspanzer version only had an extra antenna pot on the left rear hull wall.

3. The early production version didn't have the Nahverteidigungswaffe on the hull roof.  Perhaps this should be optional on the kit.

4. The driver's left periscope was eliminated during production, as were the pistol ports in the hull sides.  Apparently the jack was relocated to the vertical position between the exhausts as well, but I can't find any photos of the initial configuration.