Author Topic: Help  (Read 6159 times)

Suetonius Paullinus

• Private
    • View Profile
Help
« on: November 15, 2014, 01:32:01 am »
I've just noticed that my plastic glue of choice (Revell Contacta Professional) apparently doesn't work all that great. No real bond at all and parts come apart with little pressure. Same with the GW Plastic Glue (well..it's an old bottle but works fine otherwise). I've used now superglue but don't really fancy doing this for my other Panzers.

Can you give advised what plastic glue to use????

Thank you.

Cheers

SP

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 01:44:30 am »
To obtain the strength and quality of the plastic, we are using a newer generation of ABS plastic.  Not all glue will work because of the different properties.  Brand names like Tayima and the like have ABS cement with our products. Being that said, most plastic  cement will fine.

Suetonius Paullinus

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 02:01:42 am »
Okay, cheers!
I'll get an ABS glue then.. :-)

SP

Klingsor

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 04:18:05 am »
That is good to know before I start. I had got as far as clipping some pieces off the spruces this afternoon before deciding that the plastic was rather greasy feeling and that a good wash was in order for it.

I have found a couple of dusty bottles in the glue box, EMA Plastic Weld and Five Star Adhesives  PolyWeld. Both claim to stick ABS plastic (among others). It is years since I used the EMA one and I remember not liking it though not why so I will see tomorrow how I get on with it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:31:34 am by Klingsor »

Klingsor

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 06:39:40 pm »
I made most of the panzer III yesterday afternoon, I will not glue anything else together until it has been at least partially painted as having it in separate modules greatly simplifies the painting process. I started off with EMA plastic Weld and did not like it, it is a very strong solvent. The PloyWeld was much the same so I tried my old faithful Humbrol liquid cement that I have been using since childhood and it seems to do the job quite well, though I do not like the new safety bottles and decant it into one of the old square ones with a brush in the cap to use.

I will be giving the Panzer III a bath this evening prior to priming it so if anything is going to fall off that is when it will happen.

Assembly went well, it was a good kit to build which is just as well as there are another eight lined up behind it, the launch deal from Northstar was too good to pass up on.

Morsleib

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 02:16:15 am »
Hi SP, I have been using solvent adhesive for 30+ years and EMA Plastic Weld for quite a few of those. It is an acquired taste but I like it for control. Hold the parts together and touch a loaded brush to the joint. Capillary action will draw the liquid into the joint with no mess. If you get it on an outside surface just let it dry naturaly. If you wipe it then it will mark the surface. Fingers have the same problem so be sparing. It does work well with ABS plastics.

Frank Frey

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 11:45:05 am »
I've been using Testors Plastic Cement for putting together my Panzer IV. It appears to be working...so far.