Author Topic: Italian M13/40  (Read 29790 times)

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
Italian M13/40
« on: January 07, 2017, 10:17:33 am »
I would like the Italian M13/40 to get serious consideration. There is a colourful character on this forum who has made it less than his secret desire. In view of his contribution to this forum and Rubicon with his considerable knowledge I think it deserves a place in the queue above what might be it's natural position. I note others have also expressed an interest in Italian vehicles.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: Italian M13/40
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 04:37:33 pm »
I wonder who you are referring to?

http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=509.msg5282#msg5282
http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=253.msg2398#msg2398
http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=103.msg5281#msg5281

There are more...

Some Threadomancy on topic 509 might have been useful.

I was expecting a push by Warlord on Italian forces to go with the North Africa theatre book, which failed to materialise.

Possibly an opportunity for a box containing a tank and infantry in plastic? Of course then do you style the figures similar to the Perry plastics and their Italian metals or continue with the Bolt Action style?

Bolt Action BEF metal and unfinished Perry plastic (from a.comparison post used on a different forum in April 2014 and still not finished ^___^).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 04:59:52 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 11:27:29 am »
Not sure I want to encourage Rubicon to dissipate their considerable talent by doing infantry as well. I admit I have a bias to only buying my infantry in metal. I understand Rubicon wanting to crew their vehicles with plastic figures to ensure they are compatible if nothing else. However I'd prefer to see them concentrate on the vehicles themselves and the figures necessary to crew them. There are after all plenty to do.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 05:21:34 pm »
My thought is that the availability of vehicles and figures in plastic might make the force and theatre more attractive.

Being able to put together a small force for Bolt Action or one of the skirmish games at low cost might tempt players to splash out on the kits.

Plastic figures allow bigger forces to be more economical, I would generally only buy plastics unless it was something special. I also find they are more "fun" to build, allowing conversions, I have a "counts as" Commando "K gunner" armed with an MG42. YMMV.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 05:25:00 pm »
Wikipedia entry:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_M13/40

Apparently used by German and Commonwealth forces (basically both sides used anything that moved).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:26:37 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 11:58:08 pm »
It and its Semovente  cousin , like the 38t , are so cool looking all covered in rivets . Probably really crap in the game , but cool . Hopefully Rubicon gets their skills to the level where this style vehicle becomes much easier to design . The Stug III was better designed than the Panzer III , and we can see the improvements their making on the new Sherman designs .  Of course what usually happens is you give up waiting , spend mega bucks on a nice resin kit , and then they release the plastic one , so who wants to take one for the team ? lol

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 10:27:11 am »
After the superb work that Rubicon did with the Crusader, we know they could produce a fantastic kit of the M13/40.  But they mentioned that doing all those rivets is very labour-intensive, and there must be a big question about the popularity of Italian armour.  Although ESCI's 1/72 scale M13/40 and Semovente seemed to be very popular at the time.

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 10:54:57 am »
As far as the M-13/40's popularity,Tamiya thought enough of the kit to re-tool the1/35 molds and reissue the M-13/40. I know that they are a large company, but I think that there would have to be some kind of a demand for them to  invest the money to re-tool the kit.Another company who makes 28mm resin kits, only box their more popular kits for sale here in the U.S. , and the M-13/40 is one of those kits...........

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 11:13:18 am »
And the word is that a plastic box of Italian Infantry is on the cards after the Brit Paras  ( and  the Greatcoat / Winter Germans ?  )

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 11:57:28 am »
Then I shall continue the campaign for some Rubicon Italian tanks.  Although, being Italian, you'd think that Italeri would want to do them (their 1/35 scale M13/40 kit was once considered a standard-setting model, and formed the template for ESCI's 1/72 scale version).  I would have preferred Italian infantry from the Perrys, so they're consistent with the DAK and 8th Army figures. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 12:45:56 pm by Pinky »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 12:36:19 pm »
I hope someone brings out , let's say , the  less cool  tanks  in plastic .  ::) We know for the most part what Rubicon is working on , other companies seem to guard their plans like it's a state secret .  You would think they would want some feed back from gamers and model builders , wouldn't you ?   There are a few small resin companies making some  French , Italian and Japanese tanks , which seem quite popular with those who like to build resin kits . I hope the market keeps growing on the plastic side as well .

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 01:30:19 pm »
It would be nice if Rubicon could, even if rarely, produce a model that is out of the mainstream. It would give some of us hope that less common vehicles will see the light of day. Some of Rubicon's early statements suggest this is the intention once the business is firmly established. The M13/40 would be a good place to start. If it sold well there would hopefully be more.

Personally I think most of Rubicon's choices are great but I'm less enthused with anti-tank guns and various crewed weapons because I'm more likely to buy them in metal.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 03:01:50 pm »
Personally I think most of Rubicon's choices are great but I'm less enthused with anti-tank guns and various crewed weapons because I'm more likely to buy them in metal.

Generally, I think they've made some great choices - vehicles like the SU-122, M36 and M5A1/M8 were very welcome.  Not to mention their growing range of trucks.  I also like the idea of plastic anti-tank guns, as I prefer all of my figures to be plastic (they're also a good opportunity to build mini-dioramas).  I'm less keen on the heavy focus on German subjects, however - I think a Pak 38 or 40 would have been enough, and would have preferred a Soviet or British gun. 

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 04:50:48 pm »
And the word is that a plastic box of Italian Infantry is on the cards after the Brit Paras  ( and  the Greatcoat / Winter Germans ?  )
Will they be desert Italians? In which case their decision on style will be interesting. I agree with Pinky that Perry style would match the existing North Africa figures better.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 04:56:54 pm »
I do not have the Bolt Action Axis book, what are the equivalent British and German tanks (points wise).

My guess is Armoured Car; light AT; coax mg; front arc mg with extra die; optional aamg. Possibly rivetted construction.