Author Topic: Your top 5 Rubicon kits  (Read 5516 times)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Your top 5 Rubicon kits
« on: August 26, 2016, 01:20:21 am »
I thought it would be fun to see how everyone ranks their favourites from Rubicon's growing range.  So give us your top 5 Rubicon kits.  It can just be based on which vehicles you like, or which kits you think are the best - just tell is which approach you've taken.  Here are mine, not in order of my favourite vehicle, but in order of what I think are objectively Rubicon's top 5 kits so far:

1.  Crusader.  Beautifully designed, highly accurate, and lots of options.  A real gem.
2.  Jagdpanzer 38t.  Almost as good as the Crusader, but just a little bit less impressive and less options.
3.  SdKfz 250/SdKfz 253.  Wonderful detail, especially given its small size.  Both versions are very complete, with no compromises in accuracy.  Perhaps a bit more fiddly to build than the top 2, hence its place at number 3.
4.  M8/M5A1.  This places mostly because of the M8, which is a  very cool little vehicle and a joy to build. The kit is let down a bit by the lack of a .30 cal for the M5A1, and minor inaccuracies on the tracks, but I think it's still one of their best.
5.  SU-122/SU-85 - actually more accurate than the M8/M5A1, and more complete.  It only loses out because it's just a bit less interesting as a model, and because (unlike the others in my list) in this case Rubicon's one-piece track design results in a bit of a loss of detail.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:18:26 am by Pinky »

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Your top 5 Rubicon kits
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 08:54:35 pm »
Well I have to start from the position of not owning five different kits, but so far only have multiples of some of the models (transports & Panthers). That said I'd have to currently put the Blitz at the top of my list - the existence of a plastic version that can be assembled without recourse to the swear jar was a genuinely joyful experience. That sprues to convert it to the Maultier & Sonderaufbau versions is some (very tasty) icing on the cake.
 Next I'd put the 251 kits (I have the Ds, but the Cs also look very good).

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 09:33:32 pm »
Definitely the Crusader first.

[Edit] I had forgotten the Tiger, so this list has been reordered
2. T34/85, great to assemble - I will paint it one day.

3. Tiger

4. M5A1

5. M4A3 - my first Rubicon kit
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:58:25 am by ultravanillasmurf »

airborne

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 04:02:52 am »
Well the No One as to beThe Tiger it was the one that started my joy of building again.  Second the truly wonder full M-8 /M-20 I`d waited so long to get this right and by god it didn`t disappoint both variants. Third is the M3/ M3A1 Half Track with all its possibilities Four is the Stuart Recon M5A1.   Five is not out yet but it will for sure be that perfect little Jeep. It`s such a hard choice so many are great ,all are so easy to work with and more time would give an even greater list.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:41:31 am by airborne »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 05:41:37 am »
I completely forgot the Tiger, oops.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 10:10:23 am »

UVS - that's a very classy way of setting out your top 5!  My computer is defunct, so I can't post any photos.

It was your Crusader that inspired me to build and paint mine - I'd earmarked it to build as the AA version, but it ended up as a Mk III.  I don't know what I'll do with it, but the experience of building it, and the finished build, were so good that I had to put it at number 1.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 03:20:25 pm »
Not sure on whole top 5 but...

1. M8/M20
2. M10/M36
3. Tiger
4 Opel blitz
5. M8/M5
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 03:41:26 pm »

UVS - that's a very classy way of setting out your top 5!  My computer is defunct, so I can't post any photos.

It was your Crusader that inspired me to build and paint mine - I'd earmarked it to build as the AA version, but it ended up as a Mk III.  I don't know what I'll do with it, but the experience of building it, and the finished build, were so good that I had to put it at number 1.
Thanks.

While looking for the pictures I also remembered the jpzr 38(T) -my excuse is it is still in quarantine with spots- and the Panzer iii.

stevepalffy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 07:23:26 pm »
Tiger 1

Sdkfz 251 c

M3 halftrack

Hetzer

M4A3