Author Topic: M4 tracks  (Read 2912 times)

Golf Alpha Zulu

• Cadet
    • View Profile
M4 tracks
« on: August 03, 2016, 04:43:48 am »
Hiya

Struggling to figure out which tracks are represented in the Rubicon M4 Sherman kit (and the M10 kit)? Rubber or steel? They seem to have a "solid" chevron tread, for which I can't find any reference pix? The tread chevron shape looks summink like the steel T54 but with the "negative" space of the chevron filled in?

Any ideas?

TIA

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: M4 tracks
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 05:20:54 am »
The track tread is a result of the two part mould and one piece structure of the track.

On the Sherman work in progress thread there are examples of the proposed treads where the mould is in three parts, meaning that the tread on the front face can be moulded.

http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=395.45

http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=395.90

Others can give you more details.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 05:43:47 am by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 08:31:39 am »
From looking at the pictures posted by Rubicon ( don't have any of their US tanks  :-[ ) . the chevron looks narrow , so I would call it  all steel track . The rubber chevrons are much wider looking in pictures ( Hanyes Sherman book ) . And  if you mud it up , no ones going to be able to tell what it is . NOTE : if you paint them up as steel track on your M 10 , do not put the track groucers in the racks . The groucers were only added to rubber track as even the rubber  chevron type didn't give much traction in thick mud .

Golf Alpha Zulu

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 06:49:24 pm »
Thanks... thats useful info. So a limitation of the mould making, rather than a track style I didn't know about? :-\ I will probably just treat them as all steel and weather more heavily than I usually do.

And good catch on the M10 - thanks. Think I will shave off the grousers that are on the racks, as I am building a late-war SA 6th Armoured Div Achilles from the kit and most of the photos show them with steel tracks, and racks used to stow other clutter...