Author Topic: Codename: Sherman 2016 - 3pc Differential Housing Conversion 210122  (Read 300821 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Codename: Sherman 16 - Updated 160625
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2016, 07:27:02 pm »
A single piece plastic M4 Track with VVSS and T54E1 chevron steel tread, with duckbill extenders mounted.

Enjoy!
;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2016, 10:47:41 pm »
Wow, that's extraordinarily well done!  Great work getting so much detail - and depth - onto a single piece moulding.  Are we getting an all-new late model Sherman?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:50:23 am by Pinky »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2016, 04:50:33 pm »
Excellent.
Looking forward to the HVSS version.

stevepalffy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2016, 05:42:21 pm »
Cool...like everyone else I really want at least one set of these !

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Codename: Sherman 16 - Updated 160629
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2016, 04:50:03 pm »
While showing off our upcoming SdKfz 250/251 expansion set sprues on our
FB official page, here is an exclusive PIP picture of the all new T23 turret from
our M4 Sherman digital library project. Will post more after painting is done!

Enjoy!
;)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2016, 03:04:34 pm »
They look good (PMMV ^_______^). It would be nice if both turrets were buildable from one kit, then on could go on an M4A3, the other on the new kit (same as the M10/36 kit).

How is the HVSS design going?

Is the plan that the short M4Ax chassis models will have swappable suspension units like the T34 or is that not possible?

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2016, 02:28:54 pm »
Are the two turrets the same size?  The later version looks a bit bigger, but it might just be the photo.

The .50 cal mount should be part of the split ring hatch.  It looks as though it's attached to the turret roof - although again that might just be the photo.

UVS - these components should all be compatible with the existing M4A3 hull, as the hull didn't change with the upgraded turret and suspension.  I am wondering where Rubicon are going with all these new components though.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Codename: Sherman 16 - Updated 160704
« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2016, 03:08:25 pm »
July 4th - a good day to post this up!

Mind you this is still NOT a product yet! This is just the beginning of a long-term project
- to create a digital library of various M4 Sherman major components so that we can
create any M4 variants any time we wanted - US and Commonwealth with options!

Comments?
;)

stevepalffy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2016, 03:13:55 pm »
You can never have enough Sherman's!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 04, 2016, 06:47:21 pm »
The late model 76mm version with extended end connectors looks fantastic.  The tracks are the best you've done yet for any kit.

I raised a couple of points in my earlier post.  I've also noticed that the late version of the turret has what looks like a moulding seam above the mantlet, while the earlier version doesn't.  Is that intended?

It's a very small point, but it would be nice if the periscope on the split hatch also had the moulded-on periscope guard, like the hull hatches do.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Codename: Sherman 16 - Hull Updated 160706
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2016, 07:53:44 pm »
Someone had asked us why are we wasting time to update
an existing product and not creating a new variant?

To some manufacturers, it might be the case; but as a studio,
we think it is equally important to take care of old products as
well as developing new ones; otherwise there will be a noticeable
difference in terms of detail quality when you put these releases
side by side on the tabletop.

Using a software developer's phrase, we would say "to make
them upward compatible"! We had done this to our T-34 range,
now doing the M4 range, and eventually will cover all earlier
ranges as well!  ;)

C&C welcome!
;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 08:32:58 pm by Rubicon Models »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2016, 09:44:56 pm »
Well I think it's great that you're taking the time and trouble to improve the M4A3.  It's an important vehicle, and worth the effort - especially if that means has the same high standard of detail and accuracy as your latest kits.  Hopefully the Panzer III will get the same treatment.

The exhaust deflector should not have angled slats on the top row. They were all straight - there is a very clear photo of one on the Shadock site (note that the vertical bits aren't symetrical).  Also, what is that vent-like pattern on the engine wall above the exhausts?  I don't recall seeing that on the M4A3.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:44:12 pm by Pinky »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2016, 11:27:36 pm »
Nice to see an updated hull.

I did notice the cover over the ventilator between the driver and machine gunner hatches. Earlier models had no cover, if there was space on the sprue, could the cover be a separate piece?

Any chance of the hull lift rings being separate pieces?

Will you be doing the mud guard extensions that project horizontally from the hull for the wider track variants?

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2016, 12:02:09 am »
Well I think it's great that you're taking the time and trouble to improve the M4A3.  It's an important vehicle, and worth the effort - especially if that means has the same high standard of detail and accuracy as your latest kits.  Hopefully the Panzer III will get the same treatment.

Both the Panzer III & IV will wait for their turns... will be "true" multi-variant this time!

The exhaust deflector should not have angled slats on the top row. They were all straight - there is a very clear photo of one on the Shadock site (note that the vertical bits aren't symetrical).  Also, what is that vent-like pattern on the engine wall above the exhausts?  I don't recall seeing that on the M4A3.

This is a mould related issue, plus you won't be able to see the top as it will be hidden from view.
The vent-like pattern are the grille for air intake... won't see that as well.  Both will be hidden from
view by the engine deck.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2016, 12:10:47 am »
I did notice the cover over the ventilator between the driver and machine gunner hatches. Earlier models had no cover, if there was space on the sprue, could the cover be a separate piece?

Some of the details are not etched on the mould yet.  This is only TS1 of the plastic sprue.
Several features are missing or should not be there, and needed to be resolve.  We just painted
them up for you all to see!  ;)

Any chance of the hull lift rings being separate pieces?

The rings will be too small for an average gamer to tackle.  A lot of these gamers are already
complaining about Italeri kits are too complicated.  We are trying to keep each model's part
number to be around 50 and a under 60 minute build time.

Seasoned modelers can always make our kits better anytime!

Will you be doing the mud guard extensions that project horizontally from the hull for the wider track variants?

If we give you a definite answer, that will give our Easter Eggs away!  ;)