Author Topic: British Tanks? What British Tanks?  (Read 73148 times)

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: British Tanks? What British Tanks?
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2016, 04:13:28 am »
I think it's illustrative that Tamiya haven't bothered with the Valentine in 1/48 scale.  It just wouldn't sell.  I'd like to get the Osprey book on it though.

I don't know ....Bandai put one out in 1/48th scale in the 70's, and it was re-issued again in the 90's by Frog/Fuman. Esci put one out in the 70's in 1/72nd scale. It was one of the kits that they re-did to replace the stiff one piece length tracks with link and length tracks. Italeri re-issued it recently in the past few years as well.
 So there must be some interest in the Valentine.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:50:44 am by H0ffmn »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2016, 08:37:24 am »
Tamiya hasn't a Val in 1 /35 scale  but Mini Art has about half a dozen and IRC , Bronco ( or maybe it's  AFV ) has a couple plus a Bishop and Archer . Not all gamers / modelers are Tiger / Easy 8  / JS III crazy . Some of us love the obscure , thin armored , useless , stop gap tank or SPG .   ;D

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2016, 11:44:25 am »
I don't know ....Bandai put one out in 1/48th scale in the 70's, and it was re-issued again in the 90's by Frog/Fuman. Esci put one out in the 70's in 1/72nd scale. It was one of the kits that they re-did to replace the stiff one piece length tracks with link and length tracks. Italeri re-issued it recently in the past few years as well.
 So there must be some interest in the Valentine.

There was also a Fujimi 1/76 scale Valentine. 

I don't disagree; there is always interest in the less obvious subjects.  I'm just saying that I think it's one of the less interesting tanks, and probably not one that would be very popular.  I'm also thinking of the wargaming perspective (which is still the focus of this scale).  There are plenty of other second-rate tanks that (IMO) would be more useful and would likely sell better.  Such as the M13/40 (which ESCI also did in 1/72 scale - it's a shame the tracks were so tight they ripped the suspension off).     

stevepalffy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2016, 03:05:41 pm »
I think we would all like to see everything...eventually...the thing is to get Rubicon to do the stuff that sells well now so that ...the capital returns and more obscure vehicles can be done latter ?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2016, 04:06:55 pm »
I think Steve and Pinky are correct, that Rubicon in general need models that are popular. Now hopefully they will add some more exotic and esoteric items whose sales might not be so stellar.

On the Italian side, maybe a package deal might work: a couple of vehicles and supporting infantry might stimulate sales. The only question on the infantry would be do they scale them to the BA standard or the Perry standard? This seems to be Minairons path for SCW.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2016, 12:20:46 am »
I'd say we're still quite a way from seeing sets of infantry from Rubicon.  And Italians won't be top of their list.  But an Italian AFV kit with some options and perhaps a few figures could be attractive.

johan

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2016, 05:16:20 pm »
An M3 Grant / M3 Lee/M31 ARV would be so nice.

sandsmodels

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2016, 11:38:21 pm »
Again, I don't think the Valentine is terribly exciting.  It's very much an "also ran" as a tank - it was never very important in any theatre. I also doubt that it would sell particularly well.
I bought the Osprey book at Salute, having read it, I think I agree with Pinky.

I wonder how many Armourfast sell in 1/72.
we sell loads of armourfast valentines with our 1/72 scale conversions

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2016, 05:15:36 pm »
we sell loads of armourfast valentines with our 1/72 scale conversions
Are they tank variants or support variant (or a mixture of both)?

By the way, how similar is the Valentine to its Cruiser cousin?

sandsmodels

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2016, 02:09:24 am »
we sell ap conversions, different turrets, bridgelayers ect for the valentines
the only thing the same for a valentine to a cruiser tank is the gun and the basic suspension on the a9 and a10

Chimaera

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2017, 08:30:47 pm »
Well I would like all of the below and probably in this order.

01. Sherman V/Firefly kit.
02. Sexton.
03. Universal Carrier.
04. Humber/Daimler.
05. Churchill.
06. Cromwell.
07. Another truck variant to CMP.
08. Archer.
09. Valentine.
10. Matilda.

Sexton would be great as would be good proxy tank for Priest in Bolt Action. The Valentine could also double as a Soviet tank.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2017, 11:23:50 pm »
I can understand your list, many of them are on my list.

However the Sherman V is right at the back of the list due to there being an existing plastic kit and requiring a lot of redesign (there is a post on that somewhere).

The Warlord M4A4 kit is no where near as good as their M4:
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/compare-sherman-gun-mantlet.html

The Sexton is less likely than the Priest.

The Cromwell and the Universal Carrier again have an existing model, the latter being a rescale of a PSC kit.

There was a discussion on the Churchill (when the Warlord model was announced), a late version would be great.

I suspect that our Gracious Hosts will be looking at the sales of the CMP, if you want more British trucks you will need to buy lots of CMPs.

I am surprised you did not have the Dingo on your list (I assume you mean the big Armoured Cars from Daimler and Number).

I would hope for an Archer after a 17 pounder and a Valentine similar to the 250/251 kits

I am surprised at the Matilda 2 being last on your list.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 11:26:44 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

Chimaera

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2017, 04:58:43 am »

I am surprised you did not have the Dingo on your list (I assume you mean the big Armoured Cars from Daimler and Number).

I am surprised at the Matilda 2 being last on your list.

Yeah chuck the Dingo in there as well forgot that one.

The Matilda is just from playing too much World of Tanks LOL. Pea shooter for a gun but so much fun, especially if you have the odd splurge on premium rounds for it. Also remember it from Commando comics when I was a lot younger.

All the rest on that list I would love to see but understand they may not be at the top of Rubicon's priorities at the moment. Speaking of World of Tanks theirs another partnership Italeari have.

Saw your Sherman post, hence why would love to see a Sherman V. The Sexton I think would be a good little model, has anyone else done it in plastic?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 05:28:13 am by Chimaera »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2017, 06:24:38 am »
The Matilda was the Tiger of its day, it was invulnerable to all German anti tank guns and it's "puny" gun could gut any tank that got in its way. Not to say it did not have its faults (too many to list).

It remained in service past the point where other designs superseded it and was unable to be updated like the Panzer IV.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2017, 06:06:01 pm »
The Matilda's reign was actually quite short.  It was the 'queen of the desert' principally because of its invulnerability to Italian guns during Wavell's initial blitzkrieg.  But it was too slow, unreliable and poorly armed to cope well with the highly mobile tactics adopted by the Germans, and they quickly turned their 88mm guns on them and took them out at long range.  By 1941 its reign was largely over.

In the Pacific, however, the Australians made good use of Matildas up till the end of the war.  Their slow speed wasn't an issue in thick jungle, the small gun was more than sufficient, and the thick armour was very welcome.  They even liked the CS version.