Author Topic: Opel Blitz - Maultier & Box Body 170211  (Read 67592 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Opel Blitz
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2015, 09:05:30 pm »
Thanks everyone!  We have the canvas top sorted out.  Seems like there are quite a lot of variations regarding the canvas top tarpaulin, the design depends on which canvas top manufacturers were doing it, and depending on the period of the supply.

;)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Opel Blitz
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2015, 12:45:17 am »
Finally got our first test shots of the Opel Blitz sprue A & B today!

Will go through each part visually, then do a fit test to see if the assembly will go as planned.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Opel Blitz - Updated 150718
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2015, 11:50:50 am »
Test fit sample for the SdKfz 350 Opel Blitz 3-ton truck!

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 12:48:17 pm by Rubicon Models »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2015, 12:27:06 pm »
Looks awesome! 

One question - did the side panels of the cargo bed actually drop down?  I've never seen a photo of an Opel Blitz with the side panels down.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2015, 12:51:57 pm »
The truck bed side panels are removable for some future expansions that we have planned.  Like the rear panel, the side panels can actually drop down or removed, depending on requirement... mostly for applications like AA guns and the like.

Had to admit not too many historical photo, but here is an example, even thought it is not an Opel Blitz:

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2015, 09:42:25 pm »
Interesting.  I did some research, and it appears that mounting a Flak gun on a truck this size was a field improvisation.  A Flakvierling would have been quite a heavy weapon for a relatively light truck like an Opel Blitz - a Flak 38 seems to have been more common (see below for an example).  Often the side panels were removed altogether (as in the example below). The Maultier seems to have been fitted with a Flak gun much more frequently. 

It also appears that Rubicon's Opel is a relatively early 4x2 version (as shown in the second photo below).  All 3 sides of the cargo bed could indeed be lowered on this version.  The later version had lower sides with wooden slats along the top, and a canopy which extended much further down.

Anyway, it's all good - very much looking forward to buying a few of these kits!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 09:53:53 pm by Pinky »

elcee

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2015, 02:04:21 am »
Nice to see, that crew figures are included

Suetonius Paullinus

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2015, 01:39:17 am »
Wow!
This is awesome, I'm really impressed.
Can't wait to get my hands on a few of those :-)

Cheers

Andy

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Opel Blitz - Updated 150729 - Sample Painted
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2015, 11:16:32 pm »
After test-fitting our first Test Shot for the SdKfz 305 (Opel Blitz), the quality seems to be better than expected, which had prompted us to paint one up for your preview. One more is being painted in the pipeline!

We also painting an early war version of the truck for European theater, plus working on a dedicated decal sheet too!  Stay tuned!

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2015, 12:24:12 am »
Lovely!  I bet you sell a ton of these!

I guess it'll be easier to do the decals for this than it was for the M5A1/M8.  Number plates, and a few tactical markings. 

There is a number plate under the rear of the cargo bed, right?

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2015, 01:21:51 am »
I guess it'll be easier to do the decals for this than it was for the M5A1/M8.  Number plates, and a few tactical markings. 
There is a number plate under the rear of the cargo bed, right?

Yes, there is a number plate at the rear.  It is a compromises because we want to limit the number of parts and ease of assembly, but it's there!

The Opel Blitz decal sheet is actually more complicated than anticipated.  This is mainly we wanted to incorporate decals that could be used in future expansion kit for this vehicle; plus there are actually many interesting decals that you can added to the kit besides licence plates and a few tactical markings.

Will post the initial design later for review!

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2015, 02:04:04 pm »
Here is the decal sheet for our Opel Blitz!

Besides licence plates and tactical markings, we have included decals for an ambulance, a refueling truck, and markings for impressed civilian vehicles.

Any comments welcome!

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2015, 02:48:17 pm »
That looks like a great set of decals.  My only very minor comment is that maybe the Afrika Korps symbol should be in a grey rectangle rather than a black one, as they often masked off the markings when they sprayed the vehicle with a sand colour, leaving a dark grey patch behind the markings.  I haven't checked the tactical symbols, but I assume they're all appropriate for a truck. 

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2015, 03:14:52 pm »
That looks like a great set of decals.  My only very minor comment is that maybe the Afrika Korps symbol should be in a grey rectangle rather than a black one, as they often masked off the markings when they sprayed the vehicle with a sand colour, leaving a dark grey patch behind the markings.  I haven't checked the tactical symbols, but I assume they're all appropriate for a truck.
It is indeed German Grey (official colour at CYMK-50-10-5-85) but looks black when converted to RGB colour.  The markings are basically for motorized infantry, medical, motorized infantry, transport, infantry, and infantry signal.  Pretty standard for truck use.

elcee

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2015, 04:27:37 am »
The model looks very nice, although the doors seem to be very thick.
Time to save some clear plastic card to add some windows...