Author Topic: Opel Blitz - Maultier & Box Body 170211  (Read 67605 times)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Opel Blitz
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 09:42:55 pm »
It's funny the things you notice when you start looking closely at a familiar vehicle like the Opel Blitz.  It's always there in the background, but you never focus on things like how the rear of the canopy 'works'.  The most common configuration I could find in photos is a large flap, the width of the canopy, which could presumably be rolled up but which seems to have been left hanging loose.  The colour photo below shows what I mean, although it's a restored vehicle. There's a Tankograd Publishing book on the Opel Blitz, which may have the answer.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 08:07:35 am »
There are various styles , I guess depending on which canvas manufacturer made them . Some are all  one piece , sort of like a fitted sheet . Others came in pieces , the main body ( roof / sides ) and then front and rear pieces . Easy to put on by threading ropes through the grommets , and easy to remove and store folded . Variations had separate side panels with roll up window coverings . Most WW 2 and  modern military trucks of today  still use these basic styles of canvas covers

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 06:55:47 pm »
I did some more looking.  All I have are photo references.  Here are some of the better ones (a couple show the Maultier version, but it shouldn't matter).  They all show vehicles on the Eastern Front.  It looks as though Rubicon's rear flap configuration is mostly right, but it shouldn't have the 'edges' on the sides - the whole rear flap rolled up.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 10:10:03 pm »
I did some more looking.  All I have are photo references.  Here are some of the better ones (a couple show the Maultier version, but it shouldn't matter).  They all show vehicles on the Eastern Front.  It looks as though Rubicon's rear flap configuration is mostly right, but it shouldn't have the 'edges' on the sides - the whole rear flap rolled up.

Thanks Pinky!  Source for the rear flap is really limited... who will take photo of a vehicle from behind anyway!
Our version are from limited historical photo references, re-enactments, and educated guess work...
;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 12:13:44 pm »
Photos of restored vehicles used by re-enactors are unreliable.  You should know that from the Stuart 'Recce' that wasn't...

Here are some more photos, showing a different pattern with two hanging flaps.  I'm pretty sure the vehicles unloading ammo are Opels.  This pattern of canopy also seems to have sometimes included the 'windows' mentioned by Ripley.  Again, at least one of these is a Maultier.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:36:21 pm by Pinky »

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 12:35:04 pm »
Thanks again, Pinky!  We are making some minor adjustments to the original sculpt of the canvas top; your photos will definitely contribute to our work!
;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 04:46:44 pm »
No worries - glad it helped.  It really looks like a great kit - I'm looking forward to its release.

nazadsam

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 12:39:17 pm »
Great looking model . Any idea on release date and price?

Suetonius Paullinus

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 11:41:02 pm »
3Q/15 afaik, I hope it's gonna be under £20 as I want to get five :-)

Cheers

SP

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 10:38:49 pm »
This is just as fresh as it can gets, direct from the factory!  First test run for our Opel Blitz driver & engine compartment using multi-slide mould...

;)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2015, 10:39:51 pm »
3Q/15 afaik, I hope it's gonna be under £20 as I want to get five :-)

SP, your wish is our command...  ;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2015, 11:46:01 pm »
I love slide-moulded parts.  Nothing worse than getting things crooked - slide moulding avoids that.

elcee

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 05:21:25 pm »
In the sdkfz topic you mentioned possible ip issues, could you go with the vehicle name and type without the manufactor?
The 3t 2*4 were named by the cylinder capacity, the wheelbase and mode of drive:
so you could nsme it Blitz 3,5-36 S (early version 3.6l. 68hp motor, 3.6m fromt front to rear axis, Standard rwd) or more more common version Blitz 3,6-36 S (with a 75hp motor)

elcee

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 05:43:00 pm »
I'm pretty sure pinky is right about the edges, i know the L3000 had them but not the Blitz. Though the problem is that (for me) they look almost identical in a rear view picture (especially when the cab is missing in the foto)

DerKobra

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2015, 08:44:41 pm »
Canvas