Author Topic: Tank, Cruiser, Mk VI (A15 Crusader) - Project CLOSED!  (Read 48406 times)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Tank, Cruiser, Mk VI (A15 Crusader)
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 11:12:46 am »
Looking good . Any chance of an open / closed hatch option for the driver's compartment ?  Sorry , never satisfied  :).

Unfortunately no... considering we have to make SEVEN variants using 3 sprues!

While the driver hatch is fuse-closed, the commander hatch can be assembled in close or open position.
The commander hatch is not a flip open & close assembly, they slide forward and backward; so need 3 parts to model it!

;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 12:27:31 am by Rubicon Models »

kenshin620

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 12:16:33 am »
Looking good! Excellent to see Early and Mid war stuff get plastic treatment.

I must admit despite the distrust of CAD and other computer model makers when it comes to miniatures (especially for organic things like fantasy monsters), I think it makes so much sense to use CAD for Vehicles with detailed blueprints.

Laffe

• Private
    • View Profile
    • The Figure Fanatic Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 04:34:06 pm »
This one is looking very good. Will need one (or three) for my Desert Rats, and and AA variant for my Normandy brits.

sandsmodels

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 12:00:46 am »
great, I see a crusader aa mk1 turret coming along soon 8)

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 10:36:45 pm »
Just before taking a break to Salute 2015 in London, here are some 3D prototypes from our A15 Crusader project:

Check back for more photos... including a new project announcement during Salute!

Enjoy!
;)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:54:15 pm by Rubicon Models »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 12:28:09 am »
Lovely work.  Everything looks like it's where it should be.  The rivet detail is especially nice.  They were graceful looking tanks; it's a shame they were so shit...

Only one minor point - I think the muzzle on the 6pdr was less pronounced and a bit longer.  The armoured housing on the co-axial Besa MG should also curve upwards as it meets the glacis.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 12:37:00 am »
Only one minor point - I think the muzzle on the 6pdr was less pronounced and a bit longer.  The armoured housing on the co-axial Besa MG should also curve upwards as it meets the glacis.

Will look into the muzzle, but the barrel length is definitely correct.  We had match its length with existing 1/72 and 1/35 models for double confirmation.

As for the armoured housing, any more info on the subject?  Had checked with available  blueprints and photos, seems correct to us!  Thanks, Pinky!

;)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 01:30:14 am »
Have a look at this photo - you'll see the curve in the Besa housing and the proportions of the muzzle (the barrel length looks fine!). 

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 02:12:15 am »
Have a look at this photo - you'll see the curve in the Besa housing and the proportions of the muzzle (the barrel length looks fine!).

Seems like there are two versions of the 6-pdr gun being used on the Crusader III.  We have another version done but not shown previously...

;)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 09:56:37 am »
The Crusader III was issued with either a Mark 3 or Mk 5 6pdr gun . The Mk 3 had a thicker , shorter barrel ( 100.95 inches ) usually with a sleeve over the threads for the un used muzzle break ( like some versions of the  US 76mm Sherman ) . The Mk 5 was a skinner , longer barrel ( 116.95 inches ) with a short stubby counterweight on the muzzle .

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 10:21:43 am »
The Crusader III was issued with either a Mark 3 or Mk 5 6pdr gun . The Mk 3 had a thicker , shorter barrel ( 100.95 inches ) usually with a sleeve over the threads for the un used muzzle break ( like some versions of the  US 76mm Sherman ) . The Mk 5 was a skinner , longer barrel ( 116.95 inches ) with a short stubby counterweight on the muzzle .

Thanks for the clarification.  Appreciated!
;)

Yaquir

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 03:09:13 pm »
Looks great - good work, good variants  :)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 10:23:38 am »
The muzzle was my only concern (especially given the issues with muzzle brakes on some of the earlier kits).  All my photo references show the longer sleeve (thanks for clarifying its purpose, Ripley - obviously they decided the Crusader's 6pdr didn't need a muzzle brake).  Presumably both types saw service - does anyone know?  It's worth getting this small detail right, given the effort that's obviously gone into achieving such a high level of detail and accuracy.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 11:19:20 am »
I don't have the numbers , but both types used on Crusader III , as well as Cromwell I & II , Churchill III / IV . 

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2015, 07:11:46 pm »
We have researched this very carefully.  The QF6 is basically a 57mm L/50 and L/43 gun.  The muzzle brake size is definitely correct in terms of scale.