Author Topic: Bergepanther Help  (Read 9805 times)

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
Bergepanther Help
« on: September 30, 2020, 05:19:21 pm »
I Just got round to ordering a spare Panther kit which I plan to turn into Bergepanther and Panthersturm. The Panthersturm will be easy enough. I'm quite confident with most of the bergepanther, But i notice the top front part of the hull Where the driver and MG gunner would be is completely open and im wondering how best to model the interior?

Does any one have a good phot of this area external and internal. I'm look through the internet now but most photos i find tend not to me looking to hard at that area.

Cheers

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bergepanther Help
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 08:55:03 pm »
Go to one of the 1/35 scale sites ( Track Links or Armorama ) and look for the Meng or Takom Berge kit reviews / builds . Both companies have a couple of versions with full interiors . Also Saumar museum in France has one , check for walk around photos , IRC it isn't completely restored . And I think Bovington has an early one which they are still working on , there was a WIP video out a while ago .
Are you going to build the full winch assembly or just cover the area with a tarp ? A tarp would also work to cover / hide the driver's compartment  ;D

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 04:47:23 am »
Thanks,

Yes was planning on the full winch assembly (but still need to plan and research a bit 1st....how much effort do i want to put in haha) , I have plenty of 1,2,3 mm PVC palight as well as a meter of metal chains, picture hanging wire and 28mm scale rolls of barbwire. I also have some thin Lead to use as tarps. Im sure some off cut sprus will work for any tube like parts too,
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 04:52:17 am by neffer38 »

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 05:03:38 am »

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 05:04:34 am »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 05:39:56 am »
I would think the crew compartment should be pretty easy to scratch up . Various size boxes/ tubes  for the transmission , radios , and drive lines and brake drums . The crew seats can either be scratched or maybe use spares from the 250/251 add on kits . Adding a driver and a couple of standing guys should fill up that crew space ( IRC crew of 4 ). The tricky part would be the winch drum , pity most model RR shops are gone , there used to be a lot of  scale winches in various sizes for logging layouts in HO and O scale . not a perfect match of course but would look the part

Heisler

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 08:54:47 pm »
While most model railroad shops are gone, there are plenty of parts available online. I would concentrate on parts in 1/64th (S scale) or 1/48th (American O-Scale) and just look for something the right size for the space.

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 11:52:46 pm »
Well my order arrived today. so going to make a start to get a  feel for what I'm going to do. Also ordered the resin French H39 kit, gift for dads Birthday, shame to give it away  ;D lovely clean sharp detailed kit! But he has a thing for french tanks so i guess i'll let him have it.

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 03:43:47 am »
Well I'm committed now.

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 09:06:08 am »
Right...Enough for 1 night  :D

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 10:04:13 am »
Looking good . I take it your using a G hull , why remove the MG mount ?

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 05:13:54 pm »
Yes G model. Didn't think there was much diffrence from the G to the rest visually apart from the exhaust?

From what I've seen from images the hull mg is mostly removed, and replaced with a pintle mounted mg on the outside ...along with what looks like an anti tank rifle?

Edit: is this a case of the the A m8del had the mg removed and the G model had the hull mg ?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 05:19:57 pm by neffer38 »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2020, 07:33:36 pm »
Early A had the "letter box " MG mount , Late A had the ball mount like the G . The G also had changes to the hull side panels , one piece / angle instead of the 2 piece angle /flat panel over last 2 rear road wheels on the D/A . The pintle mount used   the hull gun  , it would have a better arc of fire mounted up top ( AA) than just hull forward . The large gun was a 20mm , from what I've read very few actually mounted it . And there are 5 or 6 exhaust configurations with various straight ,  curved or the large flame damper pipes as well as various cast or welded armored  covers which appeared at different times from different factories , and with the Germans rebuild program a refurbished early A could have late G parts  ::) gets a little confusing sometimes

« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 08:13:35 pm by ripley »

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 08:18:20 am »
Just an update. Mg mount found and glued back on, luckily it was a fairly clean cut.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2020, 08:37:57 am »
Its looking awesome