Author Topic: 1:56 scale StuG III, StuH, StuG IV, Jagdpanzer IV, Panzer IV/70(V) or /70 (A)  (Read 5863 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Now that Rubicon Models has some great Panzer IV kits and soon to have some great Panzer III kits, do you think they will be adding a StuG III, StuH, StuG IV, Jagdpanzer IV, Panzer IV/70(V), Panzer IV/70 (A), or even a Hornisse/Nashorn plastic model kit?

Other than a novelty item, I see no real reason for a 1:56 scale Hornisse/Nashorn, but there might be something to say about a 1:56 scale StuG III, StuH, StuG IV, Jagdpanzer IV, Panzer IV/70(V) or /70 (A). 

That being said, there is absolutely no reason for a StuG III Ausf.G plastic model kit becasue both Rubicon Models and Italeri already offer very good kits of this tank with the option to build the StuH 42, so when it comes to a StuG III, maybe only an early version like an Ausf A to E. With Rubicon Models' extensive line of Panzer III plastic model kits, would it be easy for them to use the bits to make an early StuG III Ausf.A to E plastic model kit/kits?

Now I can see an interest in the gaming community for a StuG III Ausf.A to E, but what about a StuG IV? Is there even a need for one on the gaming table? I can maybe see a need for something like a Jagdpanzer IV, Panzer IV/70(V) or /70 (A), and not just as a novelty item. However, compared to the StuG III Ausf.G kit we already have, how popular would something like a Jagdpanzer IV, Panzer IV/70(V) or /70 (A) be to the average miniature gamer that uses 1:56 scale models?

« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 09:50:22 am by Tracks »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Rubicon already make a Stug III G kit , number  280017 ( 2015 )  , with the StuH barrel plus  3 different roof options , Pig's Head mantle , add on front hull armor plates and 2 MG shield types , a very nice kit although the lower nose plate angle  is  wrong  IMO . An early short barrel Stug III would probably go over well with the early war gamers . I've often wondered why Rubicon didn't mold all the panzer IV lower hull , track , wheels etc on one sprue , then it would be so easy to just make a new upper hull / gun sprue or two for various panzer IV types like you mentioned .  Dragon seems to do this a lot in their various 1/35 kits , although you do end up with lots of extra parts left over , not a bad thing if you like kit bashing IMO

« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 12:59:11 pm by ripley »

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
An early short barrel Stug III would probably go over well with the early war gamers .

Amen to that!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 10:19:45 am by EarlyWarGamer »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Quote from: ripley
Rubicon already make a Stug III G kit , number  280017 ( 2015 )  , with the StuH barrel plus  3 different roof options , Pig's Head mantle , add on front hull armor plates and 2 MG shield types , a very nice kit although the lower nose plate angle  is  wrong  IMO .

???
@ripley - did you fully read the original post?

Quote from: Tracks
That being said, there is absolutely no reason for a StuG III Ausf.G plastic model kit becasue both Rubicon Models and Italeri already offer very good kits of this tank with the option to build the StuH 42, so when it comes to a StuG III, maybe only an early version like an Ausf A to E. With Rubicon Models' extensive line of Panzer III plastic model kits, would it be easy for them to use the bits to make an early StuG III Ausf.A to E plastic model kit/kits?

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Sorry about that , I just saw the Jadg IV box cover  and got all excited . I wonder why no other model companies have jumped into the 1/56 market ? PSC just has their 3 figure kits ( so - so )  and the 45mm guns ( excellent ) , but so much of their stuff could be up scaled if they really wanted to . There are lots of very nice resin pieces out there ( Trenchworks , JTFM ) bur man are they $$$.

emmanuel

• Private
    • View Profile
I barely dream of the jagdpanther IV options with short barrel and long barrel !!!!
According to me it will be easy for rubicon with their panzer IV new molds.
In the same way RUBICON should maybe think about an sdkfz 11 (as they already have the tracjs of sdkfz 251 ) for towing their pak 40n or pak 38

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Quote from: emmanuel
I barely dream of the jagdpanther IV options with short barrel and long barrel !!!!
According to me it will be easy for rubicon with their panzer IV new molds.

If Rubicon ever does decide to start on a Jagdpanzer IV project, we can almost be certain that it will have multiple options.
It's sort of their MO.

In the same way RUBICON should maybe think about an sdkfz 11 (as they already have the tracjs of sdkfz 251 ) for towing their pak 40n or pak 38

Rubicon will release the SdKfz 10 kit soon, which is also a tow for their Pak40 and Pak38.
Rubicon has already released the SdKfz 7 kit, which is a perfect tow for their 88.

If given a choice between the SdKfz 10 or SdKfz 11, I strongly believe most gamers would pick the SdKfz 10.

emmanuel

• Private
    • View Profile
I will pick up a sd 10 too myself. But a sdkfz 11 was the most constructed half track with 9000 produced…...so in my opinion a sd 11 is as needed as a sd 10.

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
Hmmm. They built around 13,900 of the Sd.Kfz 10 version. This would be around 7,400 tows (the 10, the 10/1, 10/2 and 10/3), around 3,200 10/4 with the Flak 30, and another 3,300 10/5 with the Flak 38.  They were seen on the battlefield from September 1, 1939 until May 1945.

Granted, the Sd.Kfz 11 was also around for this same time frame, and had a number of variants just like the 1-ton towing capacity vehicle. And I would be plenty happy to add an Sd.Kfz 11 or two to my early war forces. But the smaller "10" was designed to tow things that I am much more likely to place on a tabletop to game with. The heavier the towing capacity, the less likely I need the actual towing vehicle on the table, as the artillery piece is probably entrenched and not moving anywhere.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
emmanuel, would it be nice to see Rubicon Models release the SdKfz.11 two/transport in a model kit?
Absolutely yes! That would be great.
However, to be completely honest, I would prefer to see a kit of the SdKfz.10 first for the same reasons EWG mentioned above. On top of that, Rubicon Models has an excellent line of German anti-tank gun kits (the Pak36, Pak38, and Pak40), and their SdKfz.10 kit is a perfect match for these kits. The SdKfz.11's main role was to be a prime mover for larger guns like the 10.5 cm leFH18 field howitzer.

But if I had any say in this, after the SdKfz.10 kit is finished and released, I would surely hope to see a kit of the M3 Medium tank (Lee/Grant) before they begin work on the SdKfz.11, but only because I think the M3 Medium (Lee/Grant) would be far more useful to more people (and not just myself).

I will pick up a sd 10 too myself. But a sdkfz 11 was the most constructed half track with 9000 produced…...so in my opinion a sd 11 is as needed as a sd 10.

Now if we are going with numbers produced, well...
SdKfz.11 = approximately 9,000 produced from 1938 to 1945
SdKfz.10 = approximately 14,000 produced from 1938 to 1945
That is, approximately 5,000 more SdKfz.10s were produced.

More importantly to some gamers/modellers, some SdKfz.10s were fitted with a 37mm Pak36 or 50mm Pak38 anti-tank gun. The Pak36 was usually carried complete, but the Pak38 was usually mounted on some form of pivot mount for the gun. I have an extra Rubicon Models Pak36 and Pak38. All I need now is the Rubicon Models SdKfz.10.  ;)