Author Topic: What's Warlord up to?  (Read 88197 times)

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: What's Warlord up to?
« Reply #165 on: February 02, 2019, 05:17:06 am »
I buy and build by theater. I already have a resin Matilda II for my BEF troops. If this kit is suitable for Western Desert then I shall add it to my list. If not, then I shall pass. I know there are differences between 1940 and 1941/1942 Matildas. I'd rather get it right. Or as close to right as possible.

I currently have no opposing force for my desert Italians. I have been building them up slowly over time, when models I wanted became available or went on sale. I was thinking of going Commonwealth for the desert as my next force, but I also like the idea of Finnish (so my Soviets have another force to face). No real rush, as I still have plenty of models to build and paint.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #166 on: February 02, 2019, 10:58:04 pm »
Good points Ripley.

EWG: I will probably buy at least one (I have one for the BEF http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2012/12/matilda-in-high-heels.html), but if it has the options for both BEF and Desert I might be tempted for two (my Perry Eighth Army need some heavier support than the Crusader, especially when the Rubicon Panzers make their appearance).

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 03, 2019, 01:01:38 am »
Nicely done UVS! I have the same Warlord tank, but have yet to assemble it.

And I agree, if the plastic Matilda II can be built both ways, I would replace the resin for a plastic. If not, and it is only suitable for the desert, then I would only really need the one.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 03, 2019, 12:26:06 pm »
It's to bad Warlord don't post the CAD/ early sculpts of their tank kits and the sprue layouts like Rubicon do . A lot of the BA plastic tanks have many obvious errors/ omissions  that just jump off the page to those of us who live and breathe tanks .  ::) 

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2019, 05:46:50 pm »
Glad matilda isn't Shitaleri.
Disappointed the M13 is Shitaleri.

As compared to what?  The quality of the Italeri 1/56 scale vehicles is variable, but the best ones are as good as anyone else's.

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 05, 2019, 12:02:52 am »
This is just word of mouth, but I have heard that the Italeri kits are not really 1/56. They are some other scale that they feel is "close enough" to work. And that scares me totally way from their kits.

Unless I find a review where some modeller or gamer says they are really 1/56 ... I just never even consider them. My hobby dollars are limited, and if I were to drop $30 on a kit and find out it doesn't fit with my other models, that is $30 wasted. I cannot afford that.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 05, 2019, 12:48:53 am »
The only vehicles I have from both Italeri and Rubicon are the Panther and Tiger I . They are about as close as your going to get having 2 different companies making them . Even in 1/35 scale a Tiger by one company will have tiny size differences in various parts from the other half dozen companies making a Tiger  kit . Italeri kits on left , Rubicon on right

Rubicon top, Italeri bottom

In the overhead view of the Tigers , you can see the Italeri turret has thicker sides than the Rubicon kit , thus making the turret 2mm wider , is that going to be a deal breaker ? Personally in this scale if the vehicle is close in length , width and height bu 1 or 2mm its good enough for me . Obviously something 1/2 inch too long or wide will be rejected unless it's the only game in town ( in plastic ) .For example , I found a 1/48 scale plastic  T-70 tank model kit  by Micro - Mir which I ordered out of the Ukraine . Until someone makes one in 1/56, this one looks like a winner to me . Hasn't arrived as yet , but kit dimensions make it a little smaller tha my 251 half tracks which the real thing was IRC . They also make a T-80 tank and a T-90 which is the 70 with a twin .12.7mm machine gun AA turret , so if this kit looks the part , I'm ordering a few more

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:05:52 am by ripley »

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 05, 2019, 01:31:58 am »
I have no problems with a few millimeters here and there, a missed rivet, a shovel missing, light on the wheel details, etc. But I have it in the back of my mind that an Italeri kit that was 1/72 was offered up by Warlord as 1/56. That is just wrong.

I buy models to game, and it is okay if they are a little on the small size (especially when compared to the rather beefier infantry figures). But 1/72 is going too far.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 05, 2019, 02:01:00 am »
Most 1/72 scale kits don't have open hatches and very few have the molded in one piece type road wheels unless they are the war game series of kits . The Italeri kits I've built don't resemble the Italeri  1/72 scale kits I've seen . On the other hand some of the kits under the Warlord name look to be , IMO ,  PSC kits up scaled  ( Uni Carrier , 251 , T-34s ? )

H0ffmn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 05, 2019, 02:58:58 am »
This is just word of mouth, but I have heard that the Italeri kits are not really 1/56. They are some other scale that they feel is "close enough" to work. And that scares me totally way from their kits.

Unless I find a review where some modeller or gamer says they are really 1/56 ... I just never even consider them. My hobby dollars are limited, and if I were to drop $30 on a kit and find out it doesn't fit with my other models, that is $30 wasted. I cannot afford that.
That is true when it comes to Italeri's buildings and coastal bunker kits released by Warlord. but not to their 1/56 vehicle kits.
I have to also agree with Pinky, that the best Italeri 1/56 kits are very good.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #175 on: February 05, 2019, 03:26:01 am »

The only one I have to hand is the Sherman (I and IV).

The Sherman IV is the original Rubicon one, the Sherman I is the Italeri/Warlord M4.

I remember comparing the resin T34 and Cromwell and they are close enough to be the same scale.

I will see if I can dig out the Rubicon/Warlord T34s and the Panthers.

Of course once I get round to building the Rubicon M4...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 03:33:03 am by ultravanillasmurf »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #176 on: February 05, 2019, 03:30:37 am »
Most 1/72 scale kits don't have open hatches and very few have the molded in one piece type road wheels unless they are the war game series of kits . The Italeri kits I've built don't resemble the Italeri  1/72 scale kits I've seen . On the other hand some of the kits under the Warlord name look to be , IMO ,  PSC kits up scaled  ( Uni Carrier , 251 , T-34s ? )
... Sherman V

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 05, 2019, 05:26:37 am »
Right the Sherman V , forgot about that one . I never picked up one of those , the kit my friend built  just  looked off  to me  ::)

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 06, 2019, 02:08:26 am »
Except warlords Sherman is Plastic Soldier company.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #179 on: February 06, 2019, 03:21:09 am »
Except warlords Sherman is Plastic Soldier company.
I am not sure what you are saying.

The Sherman (I) used in the comparison above is the Warlord/Italeri kit.

The Sherman V is the "it looks remarkably like the PSC kit" that Ripley and I were discussing.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:24:51 am by ultravanillasmurf »