Author Topic: Guilty Pleasures - The Lock Down Version  (Read 2776 times)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Guilty Pleasures - The Lock Down Version
« on: April 13, 2020, 02:27:12 pm »
Been at home just over 2 weeks now and haven't really got as much hobby done as I thought I would . Might be that there's too much of a good thing going on  ,what  with the ability to sit at the hobby bench  for hours except for meals and naps . But I do find myself being drawn away from time to time by other things that I enjoy . For example , I've found a you tube channel that has a couple of Terry Pratchett Disc World books as   audio plays . Hmm , that might be nice to listen to as I hobby  I think . But no , I get so caught up in the story , the paint goes dry on my brush as I sit entranced , so there's an  afternoon gone . And then a few bands I like have released full concert videos or  copies of special DVDs that were bonus content on certain album releases , so there's a couple more  hours gone watching /listening to Babymetal . And then I go and find someone who's unloaded a dozen and a half of the British ' Carry On' movies from the 70s , I watched 6 of them today , oh well as the tag line goes for the Comedy channel , Time Well Wasted . What has caught your eye and diverted you from the hobby ?

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
Re: Guilty Pleasures - The Lock Down Version
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 10:37:05 am »
Asterix the Gaul, the cartoon film that started in the...60s? I only had 2 of the movies as a kid on VHS as well as some of the choose your own adventure books. Mum and Dad moved back up North Last year and during the move those old books had popped up. I was luck enough to fin a collection of all the animated movies which i've been watching through. I usually sort of watch stuff as I paint...like i mentioned to you about Sharpe, i've rewatched the series over and over because I can stick it on and just paint and look up for the good bits. But seeing as I only had the 2 Asterix films as a kid and always wanted to watch the others they have had my full attention...even the two i used to own as it had been so long but still remembered most of them.

Also dragged myself away to do some reading "Ostkreig: Hitlers war of extermination in the east" which has been a good read so far, alot i knew but little extras. Next up is "when titans clashed" looking at 1945 Berlin from the soviets view

Ballardian

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 10:08:28 pm »
Well, it's a lot harder to ignore all the Netflix goodies (finally succumbed to the likes of Ozark and Altered Carbon) when trapped at home for starters. The improving literature has also taken something of a back seat, but have enjoyed both Boris Kaverlerchik's, 'The Tanks Of Operation Barbarossa' (which I'd heartily recommend for it's clear-eyed approach to the early portion of the conflict in the East) and Roman Toeppel's 'Kursk 1943', (which is a little chewier, but also an excellent myth-buster. It's also waaaay shorter than Glantz's book/RSJ).
 On the relevant hobby side, since it doesn't look like the resin Pz.IV tracks are going to be appearing anytime soon, (I hope, once the current emergency is over - & by the way, stay safe gentlemen & women - that they'll be able to overcome the production issues they had with them - they looked too good to give up on them) I returned to my partially completed Pz.IV's & used the plastic tracks provided. Though at least it means I can finish them now.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 05:31:10 pm by Ballardian »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 01:02:02 am »
Fortunately/unfortunately nothing much has changed for me (except I get up half an hour later).
I was off sick for a week the two weeks before lockdown here, then worked at home for a week so did not go out. So when lockdown was announced, I had not not stocked up on paints etc.
Still working from home (hence the fortunately/unfortunately).

The main stock buying exercise would be this coming Saturday...

I tend to listen to podcasts while painting, I assume they are using different parts of my brain so no conflicts, plus I need a magnifier. I do build MDF buildings while watching television.

I am behind on Altered Carbon.

If you are feeling down, Netflix has Shaun the Sheep, admiring the modelling cheers me up!

neffer38

• Private
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 12:40:46 am »
I finally got round to watching Altered Carbon and very much enjoyed the 1st season. Then the whole body swap threw me. Don't like it when the change an actor. I get is scfi and swapping bodies is part of it. But they never did it in ghost in the shell for example. It can be quite immersion breaking. I'll struggle through it at some point.

Ballardian, i just ordered 3 panzer 4 Js in the sale. Was wondering about those resin tracks aswel. I'll add those books to my watch list. Although I've got a pile to get through myself.

ultravanillasmurf, Ive just been unfurloughed but had to agree to a 20% pay cut! for 2 weeks when they will probably refurlough me...hopefully gotten quite a bit of painting done last 3 weeks.