Author Topic: Rubicon Panther conversions  (Read 6930 times)

Morris

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Rubicon Panther conversions
« on: October 03, 2019, 01:06:41 am »
Here a few of my Rubicon Panther and conversions. I like the Panther kits ;D

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Rubicon Panther conversions
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 07:29:25 am »
Those are pretty nice . Whose resin  turret did you use for the Panther F ( 3rd picture ) ? IRC the Panther with Panzer IV turret should not have the rear turret skirting . There was a thread about it and the other weird and wonderful vehicles in that Ferdinand command group on Missing-Lynx , I'll see if I can find a photo

Morris

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 06:48:07 pm »
I know that Panzer IV turret did not have a rear skirt in this version. but I did not like that look.

The schmalturm for the Panther F is a conversionkit from the Heer46 company. its a resin turret with a pewter barrel.

Jaeger

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 07:12:28 am »
The picture I could quickly find online may appear to not have the rear turret armor as mentioned. 
Most pictures show full Pzkpfw IV H turret armor mounted on the Panzer V Panther Ausf.D-1 Bergpanther, Schwere Heeres Panzerjäger Abteilung 653, Russia, early 1944. It was one of the many field conversions using surplus Panzer IV Ausf.H turrets and serving as command tanks.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 07:23:51 am »
And don't forget the turret was bolted to the hull , so it did not turn and the gun was a dummy leaving room for map boards , etc

Note the guy standing at the turret rear , no skirt or stowage box by the looks of it

The only combat Tiger (P) and the Berge Panther on rail cars . Oh , maybe someone should release some WW2 type German 4 and 6 axle flat cars
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:40:58 am by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 02:52:04 pm »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 07:47:37 pm »
Close but no cigar , lol . Its got American style trucks and British style buffers , I get the feeling its Sarissa's idea of an  American western era low centre flat car , not German in any fashion at all I'm afraid

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 02:51:09 pm »
Its got American style trucks and British style buffers ,
I understand your comment about the bogies (though I think it has a strong - for MDF values of strong - resemblance to the bogies on the Hattons' Warwell), but I am surprised you can tell the difference in MDF between British and German buffers.
I thought it was Sarissa's idea of an Interwar Warwell.

This is too big.https://www.hattons.co.uk/234007/hattons_originals_h7_ww_701_warwell_wagon_50t_with_diamond_frame_bogies_ms_1_in_war_department_livery_gwr_/stockdetail.aspx

I am suspicious of this (in HO)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklistdatabase/404976/Roco_856Roco_Military_Flat_Car_with_Tiger_Panzer_Tank/StockDetail.aspx&ved=2ahUKEwiag5OPhIflAhVEQkEAHcwDAPgQFjALegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw2oQJr3z9rSUGgmD-EY0l42&cshid=1570344306108

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 11:00:08 pm »
At one  time in my misguided youth I use to model Era 2/3 German rail in HO . Lots of Roco , Rowa , Klien Model Bahn , and various other European model train companies rolling stock filled my shelves . Never really got a layout up and running though , but had lots of rolling stock . The are differences between UK and North American wheel sets , although there was some  international trade from time to time ( but best to buy local , creates jobs and taxes ) .The Hantons car you posted  has US style trucks ,   Also the UK did , have back in the 30-50s cars set up to European standards that could be ferried to and used on European track . But that's a long and convoluted tale for another time and a Model RR forum . Suffice to say the Sarissa car will "pass" for early US / UK usage , if you are not a model railroader , just like some of the resin 1/56 stuff out there , it will pass if your not a scale modeler . The Roco car you posted is an actual pre war ( 1930s ) 4 wheel flat . Some are still in use today ( new decks , brake up grades , etc ) , yes still in use today in the modern German Army  , it was that good of a design . BUT the 4 wheel couldn't carry a Tiger , you needed a 6 wheel flat .
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 11:06:25 pm by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 12:57:54 am »

Morris

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 04:51:08 pm »
my last finished project: the bergepanther

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 05:04:04 pm »
Nice.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 01:22:25 am »
Very nice.

CuorDiLeone

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 05:24:40 am »
Cool cats. I love Panthers.

Morris

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 07:06:43 pm »
my latest project: Panther G with Steelwheels

if you want to see more about this or other conversions. Check out my insta account morris_pas.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 07:10:00 pm by Morris »