Author Topic: The visual appeal of 1:56 (28mm) scale figures.  (Read 24135 times)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The visual appeal of 1:56 (28mm) scale figures.
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2019, 12:19:20 am »
They are nice , but I feel Warlords are better for kit bashing

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2019, 10:27:09 am »
They are nice , but I feel Warlords are better for kit bashing

With Rubicon Models figures?

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2019, 12:33:56 am »
It depends . I've used BA figures with Rubicon arms & heads , and Rubicon with BA's . I've also swapped upper or lower bodies ( plus some messing around with PSC Russians  ) And you can throw Tamiya 1/48 into the mix as well , just cut a few mm out of legs to get " right looking " height . You don't know for sure until you try .
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 12:40:16 am by ripley »

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 11:57:23 am »
Quote from: ripley
I've used BA figures with Rubicon arms & heads , and Rubicon with BA's .

I do know Perry Miniatures bits work very well with Rubicon Models bits. , but I haven't even considered using BA (Warlord) because I didn't think it would work. I will have to try.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2019, 11:53:39 pm »
Their 1st plastic kits ( British & German late war ) have smaller / thinner arms and work quite well ., at least they do for me with a little surgery . The later sets are hit and miss , but some arms on most sets work

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2019, 08:04:16 pm »
Quote from: ripley
Their 1st plastic kits ( British & German late war ) have smaller / thinner arms and work quite well

Yes, those early plastic sets with separate arms and weapons. I have lots of those bits in my extra bits box, so I will give those a test.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2019, 08:15:21 pm »
I never got any of the US sets so I didn't comment on them .Good to know though , guess I'll have to get a sprue for the spares box  during the next sale

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2019, 11:08:05 am »
When it comes to their figures, Rubicon Models is trying to be too anatomically correct. Actually, you would think that this is a good thing, but I wished they were closer in look and style to the Perry Miniatures.

Speaking of Perry Miniatures, the new plastic US infantry are amazing. One of my friends thinks they are too thin, but he is used to Games Workshop's very heroic girth and scale. I think the new plastic US infantry from Perry are well proportioned with a good mix of anatomically correctness and exaggerated detail and proportions, but this is usually the case with Perry plastic figures.

Instead of posting details and pictures here, someone else has already done this. More information can be found here:
https://moitereisbuntewelt.blogspot.com/2019/04/review-perry-miniatures-us-infantry.html
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 11:11:28 am by Tracks »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2019, 07:19:14 am »
Not bad looking figures , just wish they didn't have the molded on base . Plus a few in more " action " type poses wouldn't go amiss

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2019, 05:59:35 pm »
...a few in more " action " type poses wouldn't go amiss

Ripely, interesting that you say this. Do you actually have the new plastic US Infantry by Perry Minaitures?

I also need to make a note about Perry Miniatures. Their plastic figures are usually a little slimmer than their metal figures. Also, lately their metal figures have a lot of flash issues (all ranges). Their plastics are just the opposite because there are almost no mold lines.

Rubicon Models would benefit if their figures were closer in appearance to Perry Miniatures plastics.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2019, 10:57:11 pm »
I don't have any Perry figures at this time  , but from the sprue shots I've seen , they don't look to action posed . That's probably OK for a game , but I want to build a D-Day beach diorama , so I will need running , crouching , type figures . While the BA plastics are limited in their  body types  ( 5 - 8 per sprue ) with a little leg swap surgery ( and green stuff ! ) , I can make some dynamic  in action figures .

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2019, 07:46:44 pm »
Rubicon Models is trying to be too anatomically correct, while others try to be too "heroic" with added body girth, oversized heads, hands, weapons, and other features. However, a rare few find a good mix (Perry's plastics) that look good and work well.

That being said, the "heroic" size of things is not limited to miniature sculptors.
Here are some "digital" examples of figures in a computer game:

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 08:56:47 pm »
More digital "Bolt Action" gaming figures.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2020, 10:37:34 am »
Except for the Perry Miniatures WW2 plastic boxed sets, does anyone know if there are any other manufactures of 28mm WW2 figures (plastic or metal) that mix and/or blend in well with the Rubicon Models 28mm figures?

The Perry Miniatures of course being some of my favorites. Especially their "US Infantry 1942-45" plastic boxed set (42 figures). For those that do not like the attached bases, they can easily be removed with care - using a good sharp cutter and trimming with a good hobby knife.

Dragonstriker

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2020, 05:15:17 pm »
Offensive miniatures? They are 1:56 and seem a close match for Perry. I don’t own any Perry minis but I do have the British airborne from Offensive to accompany my Rubicon Sherman IC Hybrid; the start of my WW2 project. The figs are really well done.