Author Topic: Some kit ideas that I think would do very well for Rubicon models.  (Read 10627 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Here are some kits that I think would do very well for Rubicon models. Not only because such vehicles were common in and would be popular among gamers/modellers, but more importantly because no one else makes any of the below in a plastic model kit... yet.

:)  SdKfz 10 Halftrack
:)  Panzer II
:)  M3 Medium Tank (Lee/Grant)
:)  Matilda II
:)  SU-76
:)  T-70 or T-60
:)  BT-7
:)  A few Allied AT guns - currently they only have German AT-Guns.

I think Rubicon's M4 Medium (Sherman) line of kits sell well, and their planned Panzer IV and Panzer III line might also sell well, But when their American, British, German, and Soviet vehicle products are more complete, maybe Rubicon can look into French, Italian, and Japanese vehicles. However, is there a good market for French, Italian, and Japanese vehicle model kits?

Cat

• Private
    • View Profile
    • Goblinhall
Re: Some kit ideas that I think would do very well for Rubicon models.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 02:04:32 am »
With the T-26 due for release, I dearly hope the Pz.II is already one of the 'un-announced' projects for highly entertaining tank battles!

Blitzkrieg Germans are on my distant planning list, and would get moved up quite a bit if plastic Pz.II's were available.

jamesvalentine

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 04:37:32 am »
I would definitely love a couple of Grants. Always been a favoured allied vehicle.

A panzer II also would be very exciting. Though it'd not have much in the way of exciting variation...I wonder if it could be a Panzer II & Marder combination kit?

A BT also would be great. Maybe with a BT-42 turret option.

Who could say no to a matilda...maybe a valentine too.

And if they do a 17pdr on 25pdr gun carriage I'll take 2

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 05:02:54 am »

Who could say no to a matilda...maybe a valentine too.

I surprised that Rubicon or Warlord (Italeri + PSC) has not already offered a 1:56 scale plastic model kit of the Matilda II/III/IV... yet.

Cat

• Private
    • View Profile
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 09:00:50 am »
Pz.II has some exciting variations:

15cm sIG Bison, not many built, but I would grab one for North Africa.  With Warlord's upcoming new releases, there should be growing interest in this theater.

Wespe, very popular.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 10:11:16 am »
We have to think of vehicles that had changes  to upper hulls , turrets or  guns . While a Wespe and SU-76 would be great , the lower hulls are changed from the original base Pzr II and T-70 . Rubicon would have to re dsign a whole new  hull for a one off kit ( if they make a II and 70 ) . Where as the Sherman hull will work for the Lee / Grant, Canal Defence Light , M-7 Priest , and   with a change of sprocket and track , a Ram or  Sexton . That way Rubicon get more variety of kits with less re tooling needed . Same with Pzr IV hull , you could have  Stug IV , Jadgpanzer IV , Brumbar , Whirbel/Ost wind , the lower hull is already in production all they need to do is tool an upper hull . Plus I would think Rubicon would want a vehicle that can be used in the early / mid /and late war , for example the Valentine . Two pounder in North Africa , it had a 75mm when used in Europe in late 44 , so really all that's needed is a new turret and gun , which Rubicon have done already in their awesome Crusader kit . I 've been thinking about this very subject for quite some time  ::)

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 11:54:36 am »
While an initial design that allows for multiple follow-on kits with less tooling is a great idea, it cannot be the only factor. Selling 500 of something that crosses 3 different kits is still not generating the same sales as a single kit that sells 1000 (for example).

I do encourage Rubicon to pursue the multi-kit options, they gotta stay in business for us to get great kits. But sometimes, they may need to branch into new territory, and produce (in effect) a one-off, that might have high enough demand to justify the single tooling / single kit approach.

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 12:05:04 pm »
Some nice ideas being expressed here. I've suggested the BT-7 myself. Anything serving with the early war British Army including light tanks and cruisers would be nice. If looking at German vehicles I always want them to be in service in September 1939. For example Pz 35 (t) and Panzer I as well as Panzer II & Pz 38 (t).

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 08:12:36 pm »
While an initial design that allows for multiple follow-on kits with less tooling is a great idea, it cannot be the only factor. Selling 500 of something that crosses 3 different kits is still not generating the same sales as a single kit that sells 1000 (for example).

I do encourage Rubicon to pursue the multi-kit options, they gotta stay in business for us to get great kits. But sometimes, they may need to branch into new territory, and produce (in effect) a one-off, that might have high enough demand to justify the single tooling / single kit approach.

EWG said it better than I could, and this is why I strongly believe that it would have been better for Rubicon Models to release a more preferred and/or usable kit like the SdKfz 10 Halftrack first before the upcoming Jagdpanther. Yes, both kits will sell, but I'm almost certain that an Sdkfz 10 Halftrack 1:56 model kit will be a much better seller for Rubicon Models.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 08:49:54 pm »
True , some one-offs might work , ie: the LRDG Chevy . But I think tyroflyer has a good idea with the BT-7 , I'm sure in amongst the T-26 ,BA-3/6/10 there has to be a turret for the 7,  so Rubicon are almost half way there  ;D 

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 09:19:18 pm »
Not exactly a sprue-saver, but if Rubicon develop the Soviet T-37 Amphibious tank, they have mostly developed the lower hull for the T-38 Amphibious tank. So a time saver. I think starting from the former, and reworking it slightly to become the latter would not take much time. And in the process, they will have developed two of the three amphib tanks the Soviets had at the start of the war. Represents 3,892 vehicles between the two models. There was only a limited production run of the third (and final) amphib tank the T-40 remaining, at 222 produced. That would be nearly 95% of the entire amphibious fleet.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 11:56:53 pm »
Not exactly a sprue-saver, but if Rubicon develop the Soviet T-37 Amphibious tank, they have mostly developed the lower hull for the T-38 Amphibious tank. So a time saver. I think starting from the former, and reworking it slightly to become the latter would not take much time. And in the process, they will have developed two of the three amphib tanks the Soviets had at the start of the war. Represents 3,892 vehicles between the two models. There was only a limited production run of the third (and final) amphib tank the T-40 remaining, at 222 produced. That would be nearly 95% of the entire amphibious fleet.

It would be nice to see Rubicon Models release these amphibians, but I would think it would be better for them to release the more basic bread & butter vehicles first before venturing into the more unique vehicles. I think many gamers/modeler would prefer seeing a BT-7 kit before any of the amphibious tanks. In fact, I bet many of them would like to see a T-28 kit before any of the amphibious tanks. I know I would.

In the end, it would be nice to see a whole range of Soviet vehicles by Rubicon Models including the multi-turreted T-35 heavy tank, but I believe most gamers/modelers would prefer to see the more common bread & butter vehicles released first before any of the less common or obscure vehicles.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 01:54:10 am »
As a model builder I want as many weird and wonderful versions of the tanks / vehicles I like in plastic , weather they build 1000s or only 2 like the Maus . Now weather gamers are going to want these obscure and in some case high points cost vehicles is another question . I would like to build a few different models of the Sturm Tiger , over on missing links they are breaking down the production run of the 18 built , it seems they have differences ....

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 02:11:43 am »
My Soviet Amphib tank pair example was just that, an example of how development work on one could save "some" time developing the next in that series.

The BT-7 had a different hull than the earlier BTs, so it is more of a stand-alone, you design that one, and you get that one kit.

Being "Early War" focused, I want anything that served in those early days. Would be happy to see Rubicon head in ANY direction that puts more models I want on my table!

Will they ever get to Italian or Polish vehicles? Probably not. I will simply keep with my resin.  Will they ever get to plastic French? Probably not.  If I ever start collecting French (1940) it will likely be resin (I think Warlord have one plastic kit for early French).  I can deal with that.

But anything plastic and early war for the British, German and Soviets will make me happy. I will gladly replace Warlord resin products for Rubicon plastics, if they make them.

Cat

• Private
    • View Profile
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 02:41:37 am »
Will they ever get to Italian or Polish vehicles? Probably not. I will simply keep with my resin.  Will they ever get to plastic French? Probably not.  If I ever start collecting French (1940) it will likely be resin (I think Warlord have one plastic kit for early French).  I can deal with that.

You didn't mention Mad Bob Miniatures, if you haven't come across them yet, they do very nice resin French in spades!  Well, provide your own spade decals... ^,^

The new T-26 almost has me tempted to do Russian, but I'm really holding out for Western Front and/or North Africa.  Vickers Mk VI variants would supply the early Commonwealth in cute light tanks!