Author Topic: Tiger II?  (Read 6268 times)

billybilly

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Tiger II?
« on: January 21, 2017, 05:19:17 am »
Would love a Tiger 2 model the 28mm selection is not great right now!

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: Tiger II?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 06:35:23 am »
Hi,

You might like to look at this topic:

http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=70.0

And
What about the Tiger II? I hope it's already on the to-do list  ;D
The Tiger II would be a challenge!  The size of the tank with two turret variant to fit into 3 or even 4 (like the Tiger I) sprues is something that we need to look into!  The Tiger II is something that we will do much later... after we had gain more experience with plastic production first!
;)

Welcome to the forum.

UVS
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 06:38:17 am by ultravanillasmurf »

Swamprat33

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 06:09:04 pm »
Warlord are due to release a plastic King Tiger in the Autumn.
No idea what it will be like, but hope it is better & easier to build than the current resin & white metal kits.
I got the one with added zimmerite, and it does look good now it has been painted, but OMG, what a pain to build.

The 2 track guards/ fenders are a single piece white metal casting and there is very little area to locate & attach to the hull. It was almost impossible to get them perfectly straigh & aligned so that they fit properly. The gun barel was also twisted and bent & the muzzel break looks terrible.

Tim

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 06:15:05 pm »
The Tiger II is now not a priority as Italeri is going to release one.  Would like to see the final quality of the Italeri release first before our next move on this kit.  ;)

Swamprat33

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 09:11:30 pm »
Hi guys, Sounds like a very sensible move.

Tim

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 02:22:36 pm »
QUICK QUESTION:

Should a King Tiger model kit come with Zimmerit?

::)

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 08:07:25 pm »
Zim  was only in use for about a year , Nov 43 - Dec 44 , so not all Tiger II s would have received a coat of it as they were built till spring 45 . IRC , all but a handful of the Porsche turret version had it  , and of two Heavy Tiger units in the Battle of the Bulge , one had almost all Zim Tigers and the other was about half .  If you want to grab some of the Tiger II market maybe bring out a late with the 3 rows of track hanging on the turret , narrow transport tracks and other late features , the Battle of Berlin crowd will love it . I think the BA kit has the zim version covered although I think yours would be a much better kit

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 10:32:42 pm »
I agree with Ripley.  Rubicon could probably do a better representation of Zimmerit than Warlord/Italeri did.  But I'd question why you'd do a Tiger II at all now there's one available.

I see Warlord/Italeri's next plastic kit (after the Char B1 bis) is the Marder III.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 12:39:12 am »
But I'd question why you'd do a Tiger II at all now there's one available.

Never said we are going to do a King Tiger. Just curious how many King Tigers had Zimmerit in real life.  Could see LOTS in military modelling kits... BUT...

I see Warlord/Italeri's next plastic kit (after the Char B1 bis) is the Marder III.

Why a Marder III and not the other Marder III variants, which was more "popular"?

Problem with Italeri is their tendency to downscale their existing 1/35 products to 1/56, and NOT creating a new one!

Jimmy_P

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 06:43:20 pm »
A non-zim Konigstiger would be ace. Did wonder if, rather than including two turrets like the Warlord one, if Rubicon were to do it whether it would be feasible to be a dual Jadgtiger kit...? Just a completely off the top of my thought, assuming that the engine decks are the same etc and there was space on the sprues. Just might help set it apart.

Not all of the recent Warlord plastics have actually been Italeri kits. I wonder if this one might have something to do with PSC - as I believe they've gone for the III rather than the Ausf G because it's going to be a dual 38T kit as well.....

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:45:29 pm by Jimmy_P »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 10:04:39 pm »
Why a Marder III and not the other Marder III variants, which was more "popular"?
I think Jimmp_P has a point about it being a PSC derived kit, hence the gun on a tank body rather than a not quite redesigned chassis.

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 01:44:34 am »
Either downscale italieri or upscaled PSC for the vast majority.

Although italieri have made some purpose built kits at 1/56 and I heard there's a company called AK models making 1/56 for them too (I believe they do some of PSCs kits)
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament