Author Topic: UVS models: Salute 2021 11/12/2020  (Read 202728 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: UVS models
« Reply #450 on: March 06, 2019, 05:16:43 pm »
I will have a look at the Osprey Sherman Firefly book later.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 06, 2019, 05:27:40 pm »
Oops, glad you spotted that enormous crevasse, no idea why I had not (though it does sort of explain the jaunty angle between the chassis and the upper hill. Next basing exercise and I will millilitres it.
I assume the strip is the abbreviated mud guard?

I know a bad modeller blames the kit, but I did have issues getting the rear plate to align. Of course that is nothing compared to the sandshields on the Hybrid (though putting the inner mudguards on the wrong way round added to the entertainment).

There are some issues with the rear end of the Rubicon Shermans.  I was referring to the strip above the tracks to which the sandshields are supposed to be attached - on the kit this is rudimentary.  Now Ripley's pointed out the error with the tools, I need to check what I did with my partially-built M4s.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #452 on: March 06, 2019, 05:58:57 pm »
My intended to be Hybrid Firefly has the same rear plate, as I could not find a photograph with the two boxes in those positions (POWAB does not show the right hand box, nor signs that it has been removed or blown off). Of course I will find a photograph in the Osprey Firefly book, because that is how it goes. I will remove the tensioner because that does not appear in any photographs I have, but the existing crank handle does seem to be correct for Fireflies.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 06, 2019, 08:58:02 pm »
I'm not saying there's a error with the tools , it just that tool placement ( like driver hood shape , antenna pot ) help to identify the factory version . I'm wondering it all the bits ad up and we can "know" what factory version this kit represents . Sort of like which of 3 factories does my Panther represent ( different factory cammo schemes ) , or is that over thinking a plastic model kit ? :o
Those nubbins on engine door plate are door stoppers , the mounts for the deflector were on the door

Easy enough to get a little mixed up on this stuff , I thought they were to mount the Brit style tow bar when first saw them  :-[

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 09:06:40 pm by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #454 on: March 06, 2019, 10:04:19 pm »
That makes sense, though I have no idea where the tow bar is supposed to go (though over the door stops looks right).

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 06, 2019, 10:34:10 pm »
The crank handle was roughly in the centre on the IC Firefly.  The track tensioning tool wasn't placed on the rear plate. The hole seems to be standard.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #456 on: March 07, 2019, 02:34:54 am »
The crank handle was roughly in the centre on the IC Firefly.  The track tensioning tool wasn't placed on the rear plate. The hole seems to be standard.
Strangely from all the photographs the crank handle seems to be handle to the right on Fireflies, left on the others, though I suspect the mounts are the same.

I have checked the Osprey Firefly book and it has a Coldstream Guards' IC without the small angled box on the right rear plate, same for a New Zealand example. There is a South African one in Italy with it.!

There are also examples with extended end connectors - an option I should have taken up utilising the bits from the A3 kit.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 02:37:46 am by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 07, 2019, 04:06:06 am »
IRC the crank could be mounted either way , just one way though, where it would sit between the wrench and the sledge hammer . I don't think the crews worried to much about it looking neat , just fix what's broken and stick the tools on and lets get moving . The idea of having all tools mounted in the same place was so even a new crew member could find a needed tool in the dark . If I put my stuff where I like it and UVS puts his where he likes it , how is someone moving from his crew to mine going to find stuff in an emergency or under fire ( I guess that might count as an emergency  ::) ) The Germans , for the most part did the same , all tools had a specific spot ( by factory build ) .That tow bar on the Sherman was easy to remove to open the engine doors . IRC the Uni carrier , the Field Artillery Tractor , and a lot of other vehicles had the same mount . Although , I've never seen a picture of a Brit tank , bar the Croc , the Bishop ( 25 pdr ammo trlr ) and various tanks towing that abortion the roto trailer , tow anything . Have you ?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #458 on: March 07, 2019, 06:30:46 am »
In the Osprey Modelling the 76mm Sherman book, the author mentions some crews bundled up their tools to prevent pilferage (Cold War Soviets labelled everything that was not welded on - property may be theft, but that will not fly during an inspection).

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 07, 2019, 07:00:11 am »
yes , and I've seen pictures of the vehicle number on shovels , gas cans and even logs on Russian tanks  :o

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 09, 2019, 01:14:07 pm »
Various IC rear ends - some are Hybrids:

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #461 on: March 09, 2019, 05:17:15 pm »
Thanks.

It looks like handle to the left (the first one looks like it has no handle, but there is one thing hanging off it that looks like the cranked bit extends below the bottom of the rear plate.

Nice stowage as well. Is there an entrenching tool hanging off one of the handles?

None of them appear to have the angled box.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 09, 2019, 09:29:25 pm »
Great set of pictures . Some units mounted the angled box on the nose ( extra protection maybe ? ) like on this one the Germans captured

This one has a 1st aid box ? on the left , collapseable canvas bucket ( US issue ) , a displaced groucer cover ( scoopy thing ) and a ammo box of some sort for stowage

This ones Canadian , again with 1st aid box and bucket ,duckbill end connectors on the track , and the mounts for the tow bar

This has the tow bar , 2 different sizes of track groucers  , ( I never knew there was a long version ) and the German entrenching tool .

This last one is a little hard to see detail on but looks to have some type of ammo box ( Vickers drum mag ? ) mounted on each side with a larger box ( or back pack ? ) centered . Also double stacked boxes on rear of turret .

And it also has the groucers mounted on the tracks . There iust just a ton of detail in these pictures that would look great added to our models , and most of it would be easy to find in the parts box or to scratch build . I'm thinking those groucers could be made from small Plastuct T channel . I'm going to add that to my next Sherman build. And I notice for the most part , and unit markings are pretty much missing or covered in kit / dirt so not to be visible , that will save us some decals  :D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 09:33:23 pm by ripley »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 10, 2019, 01:24:52 pm »
These photos are all from Hayward’s book on the Firefly:

1 Unit not identified; Germany
2 B Squadron, Fort Garry Horse; Netherlands
3 Unit not identified; Italy
4 Same

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #464 on: March 10, 2019, 04:09:18 pm »
@Ripley, I meant the small angled box (right hand rear plate on the FF sprue in the instructions).

There is an illustration of a Sherman I with a "Firefly" box on the front (it would obscure the engine turn over hole on the back plate) in either BTIN or the Oliver book.

Is that a Sherman I or a Sherman V in that photograph? The Osprey Firefly plate B1 has it as a VC (and says only VCs were captured and "used").
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 04:15:13 pm by ultravanillasmurf »