Author Topic: UVS models: Salute 2021 11/12/2020  (Read 202785 times)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
Re: UVS models
« Reply #435 on: March 04, 2019, 03:22:15 am »
Wow thanks for those, 33rd Armoured Brigade, 144RAC!

Just the ticket.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 04, 2019, 08:22:07 am »
Here's a few more from the same set  I found in my hoard of Sherman pictures , one day I should probably sort and caption the pictures .
Here' #20 from another angle

Notice the sand skirt mounted upside down on the left rear of this one

Note the antenna mounts and telephone wire reels on this one , tank #20 is seen in background ( why no big # on this one ? )

I think this might be part of the same photo set , if not it's still a command vehicle of some sort  , I count 3 antennas ( RAC ? )

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #437 on: March 04, 2019, 04:39:26 pm »
Thanks for those.

The caption on the last one says it is an OP tank, hence the additional radios.

The track tensioning tool having fallen out of its bracket is a nice detail on the second photograph.

The tank with no number (in the photograph with 20 in the background) is interesting. It appears to have a "Firefly"  style multi angle box on the rear plate. Is 76 on a coloured square?
There is what looks like half a cable reel amongst the tools on the right angled part of the engine deck, or there is a cut out in the plating.

External smoke grenade launchers appear on a number of the photographs. Something for the next Allied stowage set in plastic?

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 04, 2019, 10:42:29 pm »
You get a pair of those smoke launchers  in the BA plastic M3 Stuart kit . I might have to rethink the version I want to build now .These must be earlier built Shermans as they wouldn't have the internal smoke launcher ( ex 8th Army tanks maybe ? )  No  #  tank has a full cable reel on the engine deck , its just placed behind  that scoop thingy , making it look like a half reel . It's too bad the censors removed the lower markings , but above that you can see an X and 76 . And notice on all tanks  where you can see the rear upper plate  have the notch / hole for the engine crank    , making them radial engine M4s . Lots of ideas in the pictures for a British specific tank detail kit what with the boxes , tools , antenna mounts , cable reels , smoke dis chargers  etc , hopefully somebody gets round to releasing one :D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:48:42 pm by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #439 on: March 05, 2019, 04:38:08 am »
They also have the Radial engine (I/II) hull rear with the inverted "U".

I assume x76 is a Sherman V. So you think the 76 is not the tactical sign?

I just noticed that the frame holding the reel is balanced on the air scoop, that moves it back which explains how it fits on the deck.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 05, 2019, 05:25:06 am »
I think the X is the diablo insignia used by the 33rd AB, outlined in white  ( picture from Brit Tanks - Normandy pg 70 ) In my previous post I think maybe the diablo might be obscured by dirt ? A lot of pictures show the shape better than the actual twin triangles, but just a guess on my part , what do you think ?  And with various tanks in the units using the large numbers in the book's photos ( 18 ,37 , 66 , 23 ) I wonder if it's not tank # 76 ?  And for some reason not all tanks in the Regt have the large turret numbers , maybe replacement units from the supply squadron

Lots of books out there on the insignia and markings of almost all German Panzer and SS Armored units from 39 - 45 but the Brits sadly are lacking in a explain all book IMO , or do you know of one ?
Here's another picture showing the white outline diablo . ( Concord Brit Sherman Tanks pg 63 ) Caption says white outline paticular to 144 RAC ( Oct 24 1944 St Michielsgestal , Holland )

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 05:44:48 am by ripley »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #441 on: March 05, 2019, 10:16:48 pm »
 I had forgotten I had not put a front or rear view.

I have not got any numbers with the outline.

Not convinced the X is the diablo, the examples I have seen have the top and bottom outline in white. Saying that the one you found is the largest I have seen.

I only have BTIN and the Dennis Oliver book (the Osprey books I have do not have enough detail). I have noticed a typo in the Oliver book, one of the photographs is captioned 27th Armoured Brigade but 144 RAC.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 06:28:02 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 06, 2019, 01:23:13 am »
I'm not certain if the X is the diablo either , but there are a few variations in the pictures , so ? Mind you it should be located  on the far left side not far right .  I wonder which factory ( of the 4 that made M4s ) made the Shermans I posted. Different tool layout than Rubicons , the pictures have almost all the same tie downs / locations for the tools , the exceptions seem to be ones with stowage covering tie downs or just tossing tools  on the tank in a hap hazard manner . Your Sherman looks great . Depending on the factory type ,( do we even know which one Rubicon modeled ? ), it might need a hole in the rear for the crank , but notice some cranks are mounted covering the hole  ::)

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #443 on: March 06, 2019, 05:02:07 am »
I think all of the Sherman I/II need the hole to crank the engine round.

Saying that I only drilled one of the Warlord ones.

Of course the first finished one had a box on the back.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 06, 2019, 05:52:44 am »
 Yes I know it needs a hole , just wondering if the factory version Rubicon modeled had a visible hole or had the hole covered by the crank . The Rubicon tool stowage is mirror image of the tanks in the photos . IRC 4 ( 5? ) factories made the M4 & M4A1  and all factories  had subltle differences in shape of driver hoods , glacis plate antenna pot and tool storage . Is Rubicon's a specific factory version or just a CAD mishmash ? Still haven't got my greenstuff tarps looking anything like yours ...... ::)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 06:10:30 am by ripley »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 06, 2019, 02:39:38 pm »
I've been following this, but didn't have time to comment.  Just want to say that it's always fun to watch UVS build and chat about a project.  My only nitpick is that it would have been good if you'd tidied up the model's rear end, above the tracks.  There should be a strip right across the rear plate above each track, and there shouldn't be such a pronounced join where the rear plate meets the sides (the rear plate on the model is too thick).  I think your spare wheel should have a bracket.

Like Ripley, I still envy your soft stowage skillz...

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #446 on: March 06, 2019, 03:26:43 pm »
The Rubicon tool stowage is mirror image of the tanks in the photos .

For reference, the Warlord one.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:39:44 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #447 on: March 06, 2019, 03:29:04 pm »
Okay this is a Sherman VC.

Former IWM Duxford Grizzly.

IWM Sherman V.

I really need to do something with the Southsea Grizzly photographs.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:53:29 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #448 on: March 06, 2019, 03:51:19 pm »
My only nitpick is that it would have been good if you'd tidied up the model's rear end, above the tracks.  There should be a strip right across the rear plate above each track, and there shouldn't be such a pronounced join where the rear plate meets the sides (the rear plate on the model is too thick).  I think your spare wheel should have a bracket.
Oops, glad you spotted that enormous crevasse, no idea why I had not (though it does sort of explain the jaunty angle between the chassis and the upper hill. Next basing exercise and I will millilitres it.
I assume the strip is the abbreviated mud guard?

I know a bad modeller blames the kit, but I did have issues getting the rear plate to align. Of course that is nothing compared to the sandshields on the Hybrid (though putting the inner mudguards on the wrong way round added to the entertainment).

Like Ripley, I still envy your soft stowage skillz...
Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:59:19 pm by ultravanillasmurf »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #449 on: March 06, 2019, 04:06:02 pm »
The Rubicon tool stowage is mirror image of the tanks in the photos .
Doh!
You mean on the rear plate not the side, ignore the above.

I have just run through the photographs of the M4 hybrids on the Minutia site and all the examples have crank handle to the left, tensioner on the right.

On the (other) PSC  M4  page on the site, the crank handle is still to the left, but the post for the tensioner is left of centre, handle to the right.

The Alco page shows tensioner to the right, but the hybrid POWAB shows the crank handle on the right, not left but no tensioner.

Baldwin's show left of centre tensioners.

As an aside, the nubbins between the hinges on the rear engine doors is the mounting point for the exhaust deflector grill. You can see them just below the filters on my model.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 04:36:24 pm by ultravanillasmurf »