Author Topic: Some Soviet suggestions!  (Read 3615 times)

thunderplunk

• Cadet
    • View Profile
Some Soviet suggestions!
« on: January 25, 2021, 01:55:53 am »
I've been absolutely loving Rubicon's kits for a long time, especially the amount of detail and choice that's available in more recent offerings, and as a Soviet player in Bolt Action I'd love to see the range expanded. Even as some of the older kits on offer, the T-34 sets are still very solid. As such, here are some suggestions I have for niches that would be good to fill:

• T-70: a pretty numerous little tank (over 8,000 built according to Wikipedia) and used for reconnaissance for several years, though out of production from 1943. It was also the basis of the SU-76 self-propelled gun, which would be another excellent kit to have, since as best as I can tell both of these are currently only available in 1:56 in resin or as a 3D print.
  • IS-2: this one is already available in plastic from Warlord, though I've heard mixed things about that kit. Nonetheless, it'd be nice to see Rubicon's take on it. The same chassis was used for the ISU-122 and ISU-152 assault guns, which aren't available in plastic either and which I'd love to see a kit for.
  • BA-64: rounding out the range of Soviet armoured cars after the planned BA-20 kit, this isn't a particularly impressive vehicle, but it was widely used from 1942 on, with more than 9,000 built. It's another vehicle that's not available in plastic in this scale, and I for one find it quite a fun little option in Bolt Action, poorly armed though it may be.
  • Breaking away from vehicles, it'd be great to have some artillery pieces, especially with the STZ tractors in the works. A ZiS-3 gun would be fantastic to have in plastic, given its ubiquity in Soviet Bolt Action lists; some heavier guns like the 122 mm M-30 howitzer and A-19 gun would also be great to have, since models for those seem to be nigh-impossible to find at all!

I know the production schedule is pretty full as it is, and I'm certainly not expecting to see any of these for a while, but Soviet models don't often tend to get a lot of love and it'd be amazing to get some shiny new kits. Hope you consider these!  ;D

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Some Soviet suggestions!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 04:40:47 pm »
thunderplunk, you said, "it'd be great to have some artillery pieces, especially with the STZ tractors in the works."

Have a look at the image below. Two STZ tractors!

I also would like to see Rubicon Models release some Soviet AT-guns. Especially the ZiS-3 gun.

I think the T-70 and BA-64 are also great choices. As would the SU-76, but it might not be a straight chassis carry over from the T-70 since I think the SU-76 used a lengthened T-70 chassis. I will have to double check this. Regardless, I believe Rubicon Models would have no trouble in creating a very nice plastic T-70 kit and a very nice plastic SU-76 kit. By the way, the SU-76 mounted the ZiS-3. Hint, hint.  ;)

Because this thread is in some small way related to an older request, have a look at this thread:
http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=848.0

« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:44:16 am by Tracks »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 08:45:05 am »
The SU-76 used a longer hull , 6 road wheels as opposed to 5 on the T-70 . It would be easy enough for Rubicon to make a generic hull / wheel , track sprue ( both lower hulls , 6  pairs wheels , extra track links ) that could be used with either the upper hull sprue of a SU-76 or T-70 kit .  Many of their Sherman's have universal sprues of which you only use a few bits depending on the version your building ( turrets , fenders , etc ) I hope they think about it ,as I really like both those vehicles

thunderplunk

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 07:31:20 pm »
The SU-76 used a longer hull , 6 road wheels as opposed to 5 on the T-70 . It would be easy enough for Rubicon to make a generic hull / wheel , track sprue ( both lower hulls , 6  pairs wheels , extra track links ) that could be used with either the upper hull sprue of a SU-76 or T-70 kit .  Many of their Sherman's have universal sprues of which you only use a few bits depending on the version your building ( turrets , fenders , etc ) I hope they think about it ,as I really like both those vehicles

True, though the only Sherman kit with a longer hull is the A4, and much of that isn't compatible with the other kits. Really, if I had to choose one, I'd prefer the SU-76, but both would be nice to see.

emmanuel

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 05:34:16 am »
for my part i would be interested by ZIS3 gun, SU-76 and ISU 122 or 152.
That would be a great addition to my rubicon's T34...

thunderplunk

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 05:48:16 am »
Had another thought of a piece that'd be great to have but that doesn't seem to have a 1:56 model available anywhere: the 61-K 37mm AA gun M1939. This was a pretty common AA gun used by the Red Army throughout the war, and I think it'd work nicely on the tabletop too. Seeing how good the upcoming Bofors kit is looking, I have every faith that Rubicon would do a great job with this!

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 11:04:06 am »
A 61-K 37mm AA gun M1939 would be nice, but I really hope that a ZiS-3 AT gun, SU-76, T-70 and even a BA-64 comes first. But all five of these items would be nice to see on the gaming table. What would your list be by priority? My list would be:

#1 - ZiS-3 AT gun and SU-76 (hint: the SU-76 used the ZiS-3 AT gun;)
#2 - BA-64 and T-70
#3 - T-28 and BT-7
#4 - 37mm AA gun M1939
#5 - T-35 and ISU-122/152