Author Topic: 2015 - A Year in Review -&- Happy New Year 2016!  (Read 12316 times)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 - A Year in Review -&- Happy New Year 2016!
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 11:39:31 pm »
The petard mortar is included, but the mounting point and the slide bracket on the side of the track plates that seems to feature on all pictures (used to attach dozer blades, bobbins etc.). I will see if I can find some unpainted photographs of my 15mm and message you.

I see.  It does look as though those fittings were standard.  I guess PSC thought they weren't worth including in a 15mm model.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 12:41:20 am »
We can change the topic to make this more appropriate for this discussion, lol.

M10 - We did noticed Italeri/Warlord version of this tank destroyer.  It is our fault not been able to release it earlier, but we think the flexibility of our build and competitive pricing will make ours more worthwhile to purchase and build.

Churchill - We have split-feelings on this one!  We recalled the Churchill was in one of our earliest surveys, but never had the chance to start this project.  Since Italeri had announced it (but may not release it until end of 2016), we are keen to wait and see how it turned out before we tackle this as a new project.  Also, there are so many variants to do!  No meaning to release the same variant... even though some might think otherwise!

Expectations - We are really surprised to see Italeri only had intention for ONE new release in 2016 under 1/56 scale (other than the M10).  Why? No idea... but repackaging and selling World of Tanks models probably is bringing in more cash$$$ for them.  Sales of "wargaming" models is not a lucrative business as they think it is!

Any more thoughts?
;)

Patrick R

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 01:11:10 am »
Not all companies have a full release schedule, some projects are held back to be announced later in the year.  Also because Italeri is tied to Warlord who have a much shorter release schedule the new models are not announced until Warlord is ready to do the same.  So I would not be surprised if more kits are released this year.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 02:08:26 am »
Not all companies have a full release schedule, some projects are held back to be announced later in the year.  Also because Italeri is tied to Warlord who have a much shorter release schedule the new models are not announced until Warlord is ready to do the same.  So I would not be surprised if more kits are released this year.

This might be true, but from what information that was provided in Italeri 2015 catalog, it was exactly what was released.  Of course, Warlord had their own plastic line that are not tied in with Italeri.  So we are also not surprised if more kits are released under the BA brand name this year.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 03:11:38 am »
My feeling is that this was Italeri testing the water, but as a sideline. Warlord must have thought that it was in their interest to have another source of vehicles.

There might have been a contract on the number of joint venture kits.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 10:13:17 am »
We are really surprised to see Italeri only had intention for ONE new release in 2016 under 1/56 scale (other than the M10).  Why? No idea... but repackaging and selling World of Tanks models probably is bringing in more cash$$$ for them.  Sales of "wargaming" models is not a lucrative business as they think it is!

Italeri do know about selling wargaming kits.  They must have known what it involved when they got into bed with Warlord.  But they are an eccentric outfit, with a reputation for inconsistency and unpredictability.  They also like to pull kits then re-release them at regular intervals.  Prior to the release of their M8/M20, I would have said that their Churchill was likely to be a great kit, as they had a run of really excellent kits (especially the StuG III and Panzer III).  Now I'm not sure.  I think it's encouraging that we're not seeing more copycat releases off the back of Rubicon's Hetzer and SdKfz 250.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 05:36:03 pm »
There's also a modular building, which is apparently for both 1/72 and 1/56 scale (which seems a bit of a cop-out).  It looks okay for what it is, but seems rather unambitious.
I was looking at the pdf again (Churchill) and noticed a familiar "1/56" scale plastic building in the Bastogne diorama. It is better scaled for 1/72.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 12:13:15 am by ultravanillasmurf »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 06:26:19 pm »
Good spot.  And their forthcoming modular building seems to be included in the 'Operation Cobra' set, which is clearly 1/72 scale, so it's going to be undersized.  Maybe Rubicon should revisit their own modular design.  My problem with Rubicon's initial design was that it was rather bland and didn't really capture the look of the architecture you see in photos of the fighting in NW Europe. But with all their subsequent experience I'm sure they could come up with something better now.   

Btw - that word you quoted should have been 'unambitious', not 'unambiguous'.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 11:56:17 pm by Pinky »