Author Topic: Sherman Tank Variations  (Read 8469 times)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Sherman Tank Variations
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 11:02:31 am »
I'm sure the authors of the Shadock site have a copy of Hunnicutt.  But they've uncovered additional details that weren't known when that book was produced.  It would take a massive tome to cover every aspect of Sherman design and production.

Adding the blower (i.e. the second ventilator) to the 105mm turret would require slicing one off a spare 75mm Sherman turret.  The semi-circular bulge on the rear of the 76mm turret (also missing from Rubicon's) was the blower for that version. 

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 12:58:25 pm »
The Ampersand Group has a new Sherman book called " Son Of Sherman Volume 1 " , 900 pictures , 340 plus pages and 130 drawing of M4 awesomeness . Volume 2 is IRC going to be about Shermans in other counties service ie : Israel & Pakistan, etc . There is also a volume on modeling the Sherman in plastic form . From what reviews I've read , SOS is supposed to better than the Hunnicutt volume ,. I have a few of their books , 2 on the Churchill and a volume on the Staghound , IMO really great books with lots of great pictures  . And IRC they have the first of a 3 (?) volume set on the SdKfz 251  Halftrack due for release soon . Never can have too many good picture books of WW II armor  :)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 02:34:30 pm »
Thanks, Ripley - that sounds like it's worth looking for!  It's always good to have multiple sources, as there are inevitably going to be mistakes or gaps in information.  For instance, I've only just found the reason why the M4A2 was used by the USMC.  I thought it was through choice (diesel fuel or something), but basically they were the only M4 types available at the time.