Author Topic: Two fantastic kit ideas for Rubicon Models -  (Read 21115 times)

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Two fantastic kit ideas for Rubicon Models -
« on: January 17, 2018, 01:01:32 am »
It looks like Rubicon Models has some new plastic kits coming out this year, but I was just thinking... which is always scary.

I would like to pitch an idea to Rubicon Models for two new plastic kits that I think would be fantastic for them.

Kit 1) SdKfz 10 Halftrack:
There is a lot of interest for the Sdkfz 10 in a plastic kit. I know I would prefer a plastic kit from Rubicon Models than one of those blocks of resin things. More importantly, with a basic plastic kit of the SdKfz 10, the gamer/modeler has more options to make variants and field modifications of this common transport vehicle.

Kit 2) American 57mm AT-Gun M1 / British QF 6-Pdr AT-Gun:
There is great potential here because the same parts sprue for the AT-Gun can be setup with the needed bits and parts to build either the American 57mm AT-Gun M1 and British QF 6-Pdr AT-Gun. They were pretty much the same except for a few little differences. Parts can even be included to make the US Airborne version of the 57mm AT-Gun M1. As for crew, well, separate American and British crews can be made on different sprues to make the different kits if needed. Similar to what Rubicon Models did with the Jeep. The Willys MB ¼ ton 4x4 Truck (Commonwealth) and the Willys MB ¼ ton 4x4 Truck (US Standard) plastic kits have the exact same sprues for the jeep, but different sprues for the riders.

I believe the two plastic kit ideas above would be a fantastic project for Rubicon Models.

That being said, my current wish is as follows:
+ SdKfz 10 Halftrack
+ Panzer 38(t) (available now! from WG)
+ Panzer II
+ M3 Medium Tank (with Lee or Grant options?)
+ US 57mm AT-Gun M1
+ US 37mm AT-Gun M3
+ German 50mm Pak 38 (available now!, Rubicon Models)
+ German 75mm Pak 40 (available now!, Rubicon models)
+ Soviet 76mm ZiS-3 AT-Gun

Edit Post: I had to update my wish list above to account for recent developments. Good to see more and more 1/56 scale (28mm) plastic kits getting on the market. What a huge difference from just a few years ago when only bad resin kits were available. If I had waited a few years before getting into 28mm WW2 gaming, I would have saved a lot of funds by skipping those terrible resin kits. I'm still shocked and happy that this scale is getting more popular among gamers and modelers alike.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 05:16:22 pm by Tracks »

somtec

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: Two fantastic kit ideas for Rubicon Models -
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 05:05:51 am »
i could use a couple of 6pdr kits

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 04:23:46 pm »
i could use a couple of 6pdr kits

Speaking of British guns and vehicles, there doesn't seem to be a lot in plastic kit form. One British tank I'm surprised that is not made in 1/56 (28mm) scale plastic is the Matilda II (III & IV). Yes, I know the Matilda II is available in resin, but the Warlord Games resin Matilda II is crap. The one you can get from Blitzkrieg Miniatures is much better, but it is still resin.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 05:47:43 pm by Tracks »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 05:05:13 pm »
As a number of contributors have mentioned, there is a scarcity of early war vehicles for all sides in plastic (from both manufacturers).

The T26 is Rubicon's first early war tank, I have mentioned previously that I think having opposing forces vehicles is the best way to kick start a period.

I am guessing that when the Panzer IV library is complete, that a Panzer III one will follow.

I hope that the Matilda will be included in their portfolio (YMMV).

For some reason Warlord did not follow up on their Blitzkrieg Germans with BEF plastics, even though they have done the campaign books for early war and Sea Lion. Theoretically they have access to the deaths of the early Cruisers released by PSC.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 05:58:49 pm »
For some reason Warlord did not follow up on their Blitzkrieg Germans with BEF plastics, even though they have done the campaign books for early war and Sea Lion.

I too found that strange, and I think a lot of gamers/modelers were surprised by this fact. A lot of the members in my gaming club were actually getting excited thinking that they would release more for the early war line, but were all disappointed in the end when it never materialized.

As for the T26, well, one of the great consequences of Rubicon Model's T26 model kit is that there is a potential for a lot of options other than Soviet.

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 05:54:43 am »
I continue to be amazed Rubicon didn't want to include Panzer IV Ausf C in their digital library. I think it reflects a relative lack of interest in early war vehicles. The point I would make yet again is the early variant didn't retire after the Polish campaign and was the most numerous variant during the invasion of France. It should therefore interest a lot of WWII gamers.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 12:10:40 pm »
I continue to be amazed Rubicon didn't want to include Panzer IV Ausf C in their digital library. I think it reflects a relative lack of interest in early war vehicles. The point I would make yet again is the early variant didn't retire after the Polish campaign and was the most numerous variant during the invasion of France. It should therefore interest a lot of WWII gamers.

When we decided what to include in the library is not based on early war or not but on the overall design of the vehicle.  There must be an overwhelming degree of common or shared parts before we can "incorporated" a variant into the project.  The Soviet T-26 is a good example as all eight variants shared the same roadwheel system and lower hull, thus we can squeeze everything into 3 sprues.  The Panzer IV (even without the Ausf C) is a whopping 6 mould project for only 3 products... rather expensive in terms of cost.

Being that said, the Ausf C is not totally impossible, might not be all plastic, but is something that we had considered doing at a later stage. Given all the ongoing projects, priority dictates what we do.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:52:02 pm by Rubicon Models »

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 02:45:07 pm »
 I think your Panzer IV kits will sell like hot cakes and justify the cost. Nice to know the Ausf C is on the 'to do' list.

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 03:22:25 pm »

When we decided what to include in the library is not based on early war or not but on the overall design of the vehicle.  There must be an overwhelming degree of common or shared parts before we can "incorporated" a variant into the project. 

Does this mean the "Kit 2) American 57mm AT-Gun M1 / British QF 6-Pdr AT-Gun:" idea that was mentioned above is something that would greatly interest Rubicon Models? Maybe soon we will possibly see some of those fantastic digital scans? ;)

Kit #1 = US 57mm AT-Gun M1 (with Airborne version option).
Kit #2 = British QF 6-Pdr AT-Gun  (with Airborne version option).
...and of course, with all the nice features Rubicon Models is known for.
 ;D

Edit post to add airborne option for British kit because it was a good idea.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 06:19:56 pm by Tracks »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 04:23:56 pm »
Does this mean the "Kit 2) American 57mm AT-Gun M1 / British QF 6-Pdr AT-Gun:" idea that was mentioned above is something that would greatly interest Rubicon Models? Maybe soon we will possibly see some of those fantastic digital scans? ;)

Kit #1 = US 57mm AT-Gun M1 (with Airborne version option).
Kit #2 = British QF 6-Pdr AT-Gun
...and of course, with all the nice features Rubicon Models is known for.
 ;D
I would prefer:
Kit 1 = British QF 6 pounder AT gun with airborne option....

^__^

There are issues with existing models of the airborne version.
http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=105710.msg1317103#msg1317103

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 05:18:36 pm »
I knew the Panzer 38t was coming, but today I was surprised to see it listed as being available.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 05:59:34 pm »
I knew the Panzer 38t was coming, but today I was surprised to see it listed as being available.

This is an upscaled PSC kit from 1/72 to 1/56... no comments on its quality. :-X

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 07:55:31 pm »

This is an upscaled PSC kit from 1/72 to 1/56... no comments on its quality. :-X

I agree, and typically this is what PSC does. This includes the new Marder III kit they recently did for Warlord Games. Even though the overall detail and quality is not of Rubicon Models standards, I can tell you - because I have two Marder III plastic kits - that it is so much better than the earlier resin kit. I like the new Marder III plastic kit and think it is well wroth adding to any model and/or gaming collection.

Attention: The new Warlord Games Marder III plastic kit is actually a Sdkfz.139 Marder III. The "Ausf.H" label on the box is incorrect.

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 09:53:49 am »
Whoa, wait ...

"Attention: The new Warlord Games Marder III plastic kit is actually a Sdkfz.139 Marder III. The "Ausf.H" label on the box is incorrect."

The WLG Marder III is actually the 7.62 (soviet gun) armed Marder III (Sd.Kfz 139) ... and not the 7.5 (german gun) armed Marder III (Sd.Kfz 138 (H)?

That blows me away their box is wrong.  The 139 was produced in greater numbers (344 versus 275 of the 138) and sooner (Apr 42 - Oct 42 versus Nov 42 - May 43).  It's still not "early war" so for now, a pass by me.  But I was thinking it was the 139 and not the 138.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 10:16:03 am »
This isn't really news - there was some discussion about it here when the kit first appeared.  WG have these brain farts from time to time.  Like the initial box art for their Tiger I, which showed a strange hybrid rather than the actual kit. 

The fact that the Marder and Pzr 38t are scaled-up PSC kits does bother me, however.  The Italeri-designed kits give Rubicon a run for their money, but the scaled-up PSC kits are greatly inferior.