Author Topic: Have you changed your plastic?  (Read 10399 times)

elias.tibbs

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Have you changed your plastic?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 02:14:29 am »
I’ll go back to my point. Revel QC is awful.

Some batches are ok(ish) and will just about work(ish). However most and older ones just won’t.

If you go back to your first kits and wiggle bits, the chances are they’ll come apart.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
A (Cam)Bridge Too Far - A UK based Bolt Action Tournament

Tracks

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 02:17:27 am »
Lordy Lordy... again, thanks for the advice on other glues. But my point seems to be getting lost somewhere along the line. Revell Contacta worked fine on the first several Rubicon kits I made. Behaved as it was supposed to. But is not behaving the same on the CMP truck kit. Meaning either the plastic has changed, or something has changed in the glue (or I’m going potty!)

No, your note was not lost somewhere along the line, but maybe my note about first testing the cements/glues on new plastics before starting a project was lost somewhere along the line. To be honest, I'm surprised you had good success with the Revell cement because I found it doesn't have what it takes compared to other cements. Yes, you can still use the Revell cement to build a Rubicon, but why when there are several other cements available which work so much better?

Also, Rubicon is now using a medium gray plastic instead of the dark green. The CMP truck kit is made of the newer gray plastic. However, Rubicon says its the same type and quality of plastic as the earlier dark green, but if you are having a different results, then maybe its not 100% the same. It seems obvious - and why I did not really stress this in the first place - but why not look at using a different cement? Have you tried using the cement Rubicon recommends?

Maybe its not common knowledge, so I better mention that not all plastic model kits are made of the same type and quality of plastic. The type of cement you use to assemble a plastic kit can make a big difference.

I hope this helps, and happy model building.

MaxPuster

• Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 02:24:29 am »
Have to say that I have experienced exactly the same. I built several Rubicon kits last year with Revell cement, and had no problems.

This year (still same bottle) when I assembled my Christmas bounty, the plastic seems to be more polish and stiff, and the cement works considerably worse. While the stuff holds, it snaps off easily, showing no trace of solvention on the plastic.
The cement still works perfectly with all other plastics (WG, GB), so its not changed on that side.

I can work around this, but when I have to decide which kit to buy this IS a point against Rubicon.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 03:51:25 am »
Well if the glue is toxic...

I did 'O' level chemistry sometime last century, so I am not sure, but I suspect the active ingredient is volatile (hence the smell), so it is possible that it has "gone off".

Captain Blood

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 04:58:13 am »
Have to say that I have experienced exactly the same. I built several Rubicon kits last year with Revell cement, and had no problems.

This year (still same bottle) when I assembled my Christmas bounty, the plastic seems to be more polish and stiff, and the cement works considerably worse. While the stuff holds, it snaps off easily, showing no trace of solvention on the plastic.
The cement still works perfectly with all other plastics (WG, GB), so its not changed on that side.

I can work around this, but when I have to decide which kit to buy this IS a point against Rubicon.

My experience exactly. Glad it’s not just me.
I wasn’t asking for advice on which glue to use, because previously, this glue had worked perfectly.
I was asking what had changed, because clearly something had. As Rubicon say they haven’t changed their plastic, I must assume, as UVS suggests, that over time the active agent in the glue deteriorates. That will have to do for an answer I guess. Thanks for all the suggestions  :)