Author Topic: Allied Stowage Set 1 - CLOSED!  (Read 35973 times)

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Allied Stowage Kit 1
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2016, 01:24:17 am »
Okay, one question.  The US-style jerrycan is there - it's the one pictured below.  What is the other type that's been included on the sprue?  Are they meant to be captured German types?  Personally, I'd prefer more of the US type, although I know captured German jerrycans were widely used.

Great to see a British stowage box and funnel included.   

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2016, 01:33:05 am »
Okay, one question.  The US-style jerrycan is there - it's the one pictured below.  What is the other type that's been included on the sprue?  Are they meant to be captured German types?  Personally, I'd prefer more of the US type, although I know captured German jerrycans were widely used.

That's the British version... basically similar to the German counterpart.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2016, 02:48:25 am »

There is a display of them at the IWM, I will see if I can find the picture.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2016, 03:18:46 am »

Okay, while I search my photographs, have a look at this IWM picture:
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205202769

Worker checking a jerry can is watertight somewhere in Britain, with the distinctive German pattern tanks in the background.

Do the British cans on the sprue have the distinctive War department logo?
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205202770

The logo looks like it appears on one side only if you look on the first photograph the next one to be tested looks like it has the logo,.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:36:05 am by ultravanillasmurf »

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2016, 09:48:28 am »
Thanks - I didn't know that the British simply copied the German version (but preferred to use captured ones instead of their own).  I found this article here after clicking on Ultravanillasmurf's link: http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2012/08/the-amazing-jerry-can/ 

Well that was my only question about this set.  I think it looks brilliant - I'll buy a ton of them!

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2016, 11:27:08 am »
Do the British cans on the sprue have the distinctive War department logo?
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205202770
The logo looks like it appears on one side only if you look on the first photograph the next one to be tested looks like it has the logo,.

At the present time, no... but we can see if our mould maker will have time to add it!  ;)

Follow Up Action

- had looked into the 3D file - the lettering W^D (if scaled correctly) is less than 1mm in height.  Will be too small for tooling; needless to say for the rest of the smaller lettering.
- one possible solution is waterslide decals, but will also be very small to apply.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:31:39 pm by Rubicon Models »

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2016, 06:05:11 pm »
Thanks - I didn't know that the British simply copied the German version (but preferred to use captured ones instead of their own).  I found this article here after clicking on Ultravanillasmurf's link: http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2012/08/the-amazing-jerry-can/ 

Well that was my only question about this set.  I think it looks brilliant - I'll buy a ton of them!

Interesting link.

The Flimsies look like the ones in the LRDG Chevy at the IWM, found in the desert I think in the seventies. I have some pictures, in the same place as the jerry can pictures I have not found.

An LRDG Chevy would make a nice vehicle as well, I am not sure if there was a Chevy Portee SPG.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2016, 10:17:02 pm »
- had looked into the 3D file - the lettering W^D (if scaled correctly) is less than 1mm in height.  Will be too small for tooling; needless to say for the rest of the smaller lettering.
- one possible solution is waterslide decals, but will also be very small to apply.

Once you get down to that level of detail, you'd also be looking at providing separate handles and filler caps.  I think what you've done is fine.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2016, 01:17:51 am »
Another question - are the wooden boxes generic, or based on specific types?  The smaller one looks like it's about the same dimensions as a Soviet 76.2mm ammo box.  The long one looks similar to one of the boxes in the German set, but could be a US 90mm ammo box.  And the other one looks similar to the wooden ration box that came with the Tamiya M4A3 Sherman kit.

Would it be too hard/expensive to provide a sheet of cardboard marked up to make C-ration cartons?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2016, 02:04:46 am »
Rather late, here is the picture, the WD one is the snazzily red painted one on the left.

At less than 1mm, you are right they are too small.

The triple handle might be an idea on the racked cans as they are moulded from the top and bottom.

Oh, and on the subject of ammo boxes, I saw these at Duxford (no idea if they are real).

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2016, 02:11:01 am »
Would it be too hard/expensive to provide a sheet of cardboard marked up to make C-ration cartons?
Due to my ineptness, I would be happier with moulded boxes and a decal set ^___^.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2016, 02:24:38 am »
Another question - are the wooden boxes generic, or based on specific types?  The smaller one looks like it's about the same dimensions as a Soviet 76.2mm ammo box.  The long one looks similar to one of the boxes in the German set, but could be a US 90mm ammo box.  And the other one looks similar to the wooden ration box that came with the Tamiya M4A3 Sherman kit.

Will need to ask the person who handle this project.  Think these are based on reference photos on US supplies.

We have tested some cardboard style boxes in 1/56 scale using various paper thickness.  Results, in general, are not good.

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2016, 09:42:22 am »
Due to my ineptness, I would be happier with moulded boxes and a decal set ^___^.

I have to admit, I would probably struggle with assembling tiny cardboard cartons too.  It was just a thought...

Great photos - I think the ammo box is for .303 rifle/machine gun ammunition.

Rubicon Models

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2016, 07:08:18 pm »
Here is the preview of our painted Allied Stowage Kit (TS1 Plastic):

Enjoy!

Pinky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2016, 09:20:49 pm »
Great stuff! Only the sandbag looks a bit odd.  Please release it soon!