Author Topic: T-26 Soviet Light Infantry Tank - T-26 Decal Sheet 180818  (Read 65239 times)

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
Re: T-26 Soviet Light Infantry Tank - Revised TS2 Sprue C 180522
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2018, 12:48:40 pm »
Sadly I think UVS is right & further investigation is appropriate. The Tank Encyclopedia website has some info on T-26 'chemical tanks' which indicates these vehicles are a complex subject.

The website might prompt further investigation/verification to make sure you have this right. It could be you already have the components to make more of these 'chemical tank' variants than we are currently looking at. Certainly the website supports UVS's contention the '134' is wrong. Although possibly close or closer to one of the earlier variants.

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2018, 04:49:26 pm »
The turret on the left one could be a TT26 Titan teletank, Zaloga Osprey page 27 mentions it. There is a converted teletank at Kubinka with a left hand turret.

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2018, 06:28:48 pm »
The following is not definitive but what I can deduce from looking at different websites.

OT-130 - 401 built 1936/39.  Hull looks like centre tank on the first Rubicon picture. However turret looks like older straight sided version on the model pictured to the right of it.

OT-133 - 269 built 1939/40.  Again hull looks like centre tank on first Rubicon picture and correct turret for this version is on top of it.

OT- 131, 132, & 134 prototypes and although the latter may have been used in Finland, with it's hull mounted flame thrower, can probably be ignored.

Feel free to correct me. There may have been upgrades and the like that make this incorrect.

I note Rubicon appear to have had this right on their post of 3 Jan 18. The pictures have subsequently confused things.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 06:37:05 pm by tyroflyer »

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2018, 05:14:50 am »
Loving the Rubicon T-26 project ... but the photos have issues with the labels and assembly.

Background:  The T-26 formed the basis for three different chemical warfare tanks.  The original designations were KhT which was an abbreviation for Khimicheskii Tank (Chemical Tank). The idea was that these tanks could also be used to carry smoke generation chemicals or poison gas chemicals, or even decontamination liquids to hose things down with, but beyond some minor tinkering, those other ideas were not implemented.  So by 1939 the designation was officially changed to OT which was an abbreviation for Ognemetniy Tank (flame-throwing tank). But either term (KhT or OT) is valid.

I've done some extensive research on the T-26 and have this regarding the flame-throwers:

KhT-26 / OT-26 (produced 1933-1935) (552 built)
   How to recognize:
      Based on the twin-turret T-26 Model 1931
      The left turret was removed to allow for fuel and compressed air tank storage
      There were two small, rectangular, fuel-filler hatches on the left side of upper superstructure
•   All had right turret armed with long-barreled KS-24 flame-thrower, and a coaxial DT-29 MG

In the T-26 Flamers image, the KhT-26 (OT-26) looks really good. Purists might want to NOT use the shrouded headlight. Early T-26 tanks had no folding armored shell. The light was mounted to the front plate of the superstructure, centered. The armored, folding light was mounted to the top front plate (as shown in the photo) sometime during production of the M33 version.

Here is a top view of the KhT-26 (based on a late M33 hull - probably 1935 - note the transmission access hatch present on the front, but still has the two round fuel and oil filler caps in the right rear engine deck):

KhT-130 / OT-130 (produced 1936-1939) (401 built)
   How to recognize:
      Based on the single turret T-26 Model 1933, with the turret moved to the right side
      Cylindrical turret had two side-by-side rectangular hatches on top
      Had two small, circular, domed fuel-filler caps on left side of upper superstructure.
•   Most had a short-barreled KS-25 flame-thrower, and a coaxial DT MG in the turret
•   Many had a second DT MG in a ball mount in the rear of the turret
•   Few had a long-barreled KS-24 flame thrower instead of a short-barreled flame-thrower

In the T-26 Flamers image, the model to the far right is NOT the KhT-134 (OT-134). It is a KhT-130 (OT-130).  Note that in the second image (T-26 M33/M35), the same exact tank on the far right is properly labeled KhT-130 (OT-130).

That said, the tank on the far right (which should be labeled KhT-130) was not assembled correctly. The turret belongs on the right. There were two circular fuel filler caps to the left (as seen on the build for the middle flamer tank). So the right turret, but the wrong superstructure, was used for this flamer tank.

Here is a top view of the KhT-130 (built on an M36 or M38 hull - note the fuel and oil filler area is now covered by a single rectangular hatch):

KhT-133 / OT-133 (produced 1940-1941) (271 built)
   How to recognize:
      Based on the single-turret T-26 Model 1939, with the turret moved to the right side
      Conical turret had 1 round and 1 rectangular hatch on top
      Had two small, circular, flat fuel-filler caps on left side of upper superstructure.
•   All had a short-barreled KS-25 flame-thrower in the turret
•   Many were missing the coaxial DT MG in the turret
•   Some had a DT MG in a ball mount in the rear of the turret

In the T-26 Flamer image, this tank is in the middle and improperly labeled the KhT-130 (OT-130). It is shown again as the far right tank in the third image (T-26 M38/M39).  However, this is NOT a KhT-134. It should be labeled in both images as the KhT-133 (OT-133).

Here is the top view of a KhT-133 (built on the M39 hull - note the taller and wider superstructure):

The actual KhT-134 (OT-134) was a variation which kept the 45mm gun in the turret, and placed the flamer barrel centered in the front hull (where the front plate and the top plate join).  Only two prototypes were built (but they did see combat). 

So of the three flamer tanks shown in the first image, the left KhT-26 looks great, the center one (which is labeled KhT-130 and should be labeled KhT-133) looks great. And the one on the far right should be labeled the KhT-130, and it was built using the wrong superstructure. When built using the correct superstructure, the two small, round FLAT fuel-filler caps should be domed and not flat (like someone cut a grapefruit in half and laid it down on each cap). Easy enough to fix that with putty.

I have some issues with the regular T-26 tanks shown in the images, but I will save that for another post.  Overall though, the multi-version kit looks wonderful!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 09:38:58 am by EarlyWarGamer »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2018, 06:23:52 am »
Wow lots of info to look over , thanks for your effort . I think Rubicon might have bit off a little more than they can handle on this 9 in 1 tank kit , but I really give them top marks for trying . Like most multi kits,  I think the builder is going to have to do a little research on exactly what parts he needs for the vehicle he wants to build . In no way do I see this as a shake and bake kit . I have already started to pre plan my builds by picking up the T-26 book from WWP . I'm really looking forward to 2 or 3 of these . And I think you might be able to build a FF and use the left over tank type hull and turret as a dug in pill box as seem in many early war eastern front photos
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 07:18:20 am by ripley »

tyroflyer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2018, 10:30:09 am »
Nice job EWG. If you have some info on conventional T-26's you want to share with Rubicon you might want to be quick. I suspect they must be close to finalising this one.

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2018, 01:20:08 pm »
I suspect it is already finalized. If they remembered to fit an extra MG onto the sprue somewhere so we can do the twin-turret MG version of the T-26, then that will make me very happy. Of the 2,035 twin-turret versions built, 1,588 were twin MGs. Only 447 were the 37mm gun and MG turrets.

I think the kit is fantastic. There will always be little things that are not quite right, depending on which version of the tank you want to represent. For example, the earliest versions of the hull had no transmission hatch on the top, front plate. So a really early twin-turret would not have one.  But later models did. I am staring at what "should" be a twin-turret photo, where they removed one turret and went with the flame-thrower, and there is a transmission hatch right there. Caption says this is a 1935 hull.  And I suspect that when these older ones went in for servicing, they very well may have (must have?) cut into that plate to create a hatch, because I have seen photos of twin turret hulls that DO have that access hatch.

I think the incorrect build of the KhT-130 was just someone not using the proper flamer superstructure part. I was not expecting Rubicon to provide one with flat fuel caps, and one with domed fuel caps. But from what I can tell of the sprues, all three major flame-throwing variants can be built.

As my forum name suggests, I focus on early war, and my favorite EW Soviet tank is the T-26. So I have a number of good books on that one, and have tracked down lots of info off the web (photos, diagrams, build info, etc).  I did a TON of reading, and pouring over photos and diagrams, to come up with my own "How to recognize" notes.  For my own use, I also captured drawings and color images to help me determione what it is I am looking at when I see a photo of a T-26.  Naturally, I cannot upload those photos here.

Refgarding some of the books I have used, of note:

T-26 Light Tanks (Osprey - S. Zaloga) - Great info, including production numbers that get in the ballpark
Light Tanks (Ian Allen - M. Baryatinskiy) - Great info, including some production numbers
T-26 Variants (WWP - M. Barric & M. Collins) - Mostly photos

In addition, some useful info was found in:

Red Army Tanks of World War II (Amber - T. Bean & W. Fowler) - Good background info
Russian Tanks of World War II (Amber - S. Hart) - Great color images, brief but good info

And then we have these:
T-26 (in Russian, which I cannot read, but the photos have captions in English, and the blueprints and color drawings are fantastic)
 - Cover shows a green twin turret T-26 heading to the right. Layout is like a Squadron "Walk-Around" series (wider than it is tall)
T-29 Vol 1 (Tank Power series 193) - in Polish (I believe), but captions are summarized in English.
 - Lots of mostly clear B&W photos, and the blueprint drawings are great. Production tables. A lot of good stuff packed in these 96 pages
 - English summary of entire book is packed into 5 pages at the end. There are 24 nice color side drawings (3 per page, 8 pages worth)
T-26 Vol 2 (Tank Power series 197), entire book is in Polish on one side, and English on the other. Photos captioned in both languages
 - Some excellent sketches of various areas of the vehicles, with numbered call-outs explaining what this or that was for. Excellent info.
T-26 Vol 3 (Tank Power series 214) - In Polish with English captions. This volume is all about flame-throwing tanks and other variants
 -  If you are interested in modelling some of the lesser know (and little produced) variants, this is a great volume for the drawings
 - A mere two-page English summary at the end. Maybe 12 color side drawings of the variants. Nice to have.

I will take the time to organize my notes and then post something regarding the regular T-26 variants. Perhaps some will find it helpful?

ultravanillasmurf

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Blog:
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2018, 03:46:31 pm »
Thanks for the information,  I look forward to seeing what you post.

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2018, 09:40:38 pm »
Thank you for the list of books . Always looking for more great books . I;m thinking of getting this one , I have a KV II book by the same author Maxim Kolomiets , all in Russian but great pictures and diagrams ( some show up in Tank Power KV books ), have you seen this one and if so is it worth the $ 

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 09:44:04 pm by ripley »

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2018, 12:14:41 am »
I have that one as well, but didn't list it. Yes, lots (and LOTS) of photos and diagrams in that one. But not a word in English.  Weighs in at over 150 pages. It appears to cover every variant, not just regular tanks and flamers, but every prototype and offshoot that was produced! Also has some sketches of various locations on the tank, which is helpful too.

Not sure if this will work (I have never uploaded a photo before) but if you can track this one down, I would recommend it:

The back cover is in English, and it says "Frontline Illustration".

It has many of the same photos, in almost the same order as the book above. And the diagrams are identical (same source). Also covers the other variants of the T-26 (not just flamers and regular tanks).  Just not as many photos. No sketches.  Author of this one appears to be the same as the book you listed (I recognize just enough of the cyrillic alphabet to think it says Maxim Kolomiets). This one is "only" about 80 pages, but the photos have captions in English, which is super helpful.

For example, there was a nice set of 3 photos of a very early T-26 twin-turret in both. Russian caption in the book you listed. The English caption in the book above said "One of the first Vikkers 6-ton tanks, that arrived in the USSR,  is at the military warehouse No 3, Spring 1932.  The vehicle is armed with 7,71 mm Vikkers machine guns."  Which is super handy to know, because the MGs do NOT look like the ones we usually see in photos. I was trying to figure out what variant this tank was, and then I got this book, saw the photos, read the caption, and now know it was a Vickers. 

So I have both (because, um ... yeah). When I want to look for photos or track down more pictures of one of the lesser-known variants, I check the one you listed. When I want to know what the caption might say, I hope that photo is in the one I listed, and check that one.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 12:26:22 am by EarlyWarGamer »

ripley

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2018, 04:07:48 am »
That's good to know , thank you . A lot of the Eastern European Tank /Weapons  books seem to be reproduced ( copied ) by 2 or 3 different book companies with a variety of changes ( more / less - pictures /drawings )  , but its the captions in English that really sell it to me . I'll be tracking that one down . Well , after some checking I find that one's out of print at the moment , although the other book in this series about SPG types and one offs is still available . Time to be checking my favorite  used book sites  I guess , better pack a lunch as I'll be there all day  ::)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 09:40:45 pm by ripley »

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2018, 03:10:09 am »
Continuing on with my detailed analysis of the Rubicon T-26 kit, and comparing that to the analysis and research I have conducted, here is what I have regarding the T-26 M31 (twin turret) model:

Smaller elements that change from version to version are shown in italics.

For reference: I am looking at the photo Rubicon uploaded on Page 6 of this forum, showing three hulls, and a bunch of turrets.

T-26 Model 1931 (aka T-26A)(produced Aug 1931-1933) (2,035 built)
   How to recognize:
      Two cylindrical turrets,
      Horn mounted on upper hull, left side, front corner
      Large rectangular jack mounted on right side of rear deck
      Light mounted on front plate, near center, no folding armored covering
      Rubber road wheels

Hull and turrets were of riveted construction
      No hatch on left-front hull to access transmission
      Two small, round oil and gas caps (right-rear deck)
      Air exhaust cover (left-rear of tank) was added starting in April 1932
      Muffler attached with 3 clamps (instead of 2) starting in April 1932
•   Most were armed with a DT M-29 7.62 MG in each turret (1,588 accepted)
•   Some were armed with a PS-1 Model 1928 37mm gun in the right turret (447 accepted)

The Rubicon kit includes everything necessary to build the M31 in both configurations (if they remembered to get a second turret MG on the sprue).

If you want to be extra picky, you have three possible changes to make:

#1 - The headlight. The M31 (when built during 1931-1933) had the light, without any armor around it, mounted on the center of the front superstructure plate. In later years, some had their light replaced with the armored version, and moved to the top of the front plate. The soviets learned some valuable combat lessons with the T-26 in Spain (1936-1939), Lake Khasan (1938) and Khalkhin Gol (1939).  Moving the headlight, and having a folding, armored cover for it was one such lesson.  If you are more concerned with the German invasion in 1941, feel free to go with the armored headlight.

#2 - The transmission access hatch. This is the hatch on the top of the front hull. This hatch did not exist in any form during construction of the M31.  You could file/sand that area down and fill in any groves with putty if you really wanted an early M31.  But these vehicles went in for servicing on a routine basis, and there are photos showing that in later years, an access hatch has been added to some early hulls. So you can keep the hatch if you don't want to bother with extra modeling.

#3 - The fuel and oil caps.  The main top hull that Rubicon provides shows a single elongated rectangular access hatch in the right, rear corner of the back deck. That was a subtle change introduced in the late M33 model deck. Prior to that, there were two round caps, one for fuel, and one for oil. I have not seen any photo evidence that earlier hulls were ever retrofitted with the new rectangular access hatch. So if you want your M31 to be more accurate in later years, a bit of modeling is needed.

For reference, here is a top diagram showing the T-26 M31.

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 02, 2018, 03:37:23 am »
Continuing on with my detailed analysis of the Rubicon T-26 kit, and comparing that to the analysis and research I have conducted, here is what I have regarding the T-26 M33 (cylindrical turret) model:

Note that officially, only three models of the T-26 were produced: Model 1931 (twin turret), Model 1933 (single turret), and Model 1939 (up-armored).  But there were stages during the development and production of the Model 1933 with clear differences which allow us to "tag" additional sub-versions. I have done so in the post which follows.

T-26 Model 1933 (produced Jul 1933-1936) (1,735 built)
   How to recognize:
      One redesigned cylindrical turret with two side-by-side rectangular hatches on top
         Note: Earliest version of redesigned turret had a single, centered, rectangular hatch on top
      Horn still mounted on upper hull, left side, front corner
      Large rectangular jack eventually replaced with small round jack in same location
      Light eventually repositioned to top of front hull, surrounded by folding armored covering
      Spare road wheels now carried on rear deck
      Hull and turret were mostly riveted (in 1933), and a mix of riveted and/or welded (by 1936)
      Small hatch on left-front hull to access transmission
      Two small, round caps eventually replaced by one rectangular oil and gas access hatch (1935+)

•   All were armed with a Model 1932 45mm L/46 20K cannon, and one coaxial DT MG
•   Some late model builds (1935+) had another DT MG in a ball mount on the turret rear
•   Some late model builds (1936) also had a DT MG mounted on the turret roof for AA purposes

T-26RT Model 1933 Radio Tank (produced 1933-1936) (1,127 built)
   How to recognize:
      Identical to Model 1933, with a horseshoe antenna around turret top
•   All were armed with a Model 1932 45mm L/46 20K cannon, and one coaxial DT MG
•   Some late model builds (1935+) had another DT MG in a ball mount to the rear of the turret
•   Some late model builds (1936) also had a DT MG mounted on the turret roof for AA purposes

The Rubicon picture shows the proper M33 turret, and next to it, what they label an M35 turret.  That is (in my opinion) an error. That is still an M33 turret (cylindrical turret with two side-by-side rectangle hatches on top). It just has the radio antenna making it the RT version.  It also has searchlights. The M33 (when using the M33, M36 and M38 tags) was not built with searchlights.  That did not happen until the M36 version.  But the kit does allow for the building of the most common M33 version.

Why do I say "most common"? Well, the very, very earliest production introduced the new cylindrical turret, but it had only one square hatch on top. This was quickly dropped and replaced with an identical turret but with two square hatches on top. Other than those very first tanks rolling off the assembly line, the vast majority of M33 tanks had the two square-hatch turret.

For comparison, here is the very early production single square hatch top view of the T-26 M33:

And here is the much more common early-to-mid production two square hatch top view of the T-26 M33:

You will note that in both cases, the fuel and oil caps in the right rear are still separate, and round. You will also note that while there is a transmission access hatch on the top front plate, it is not the version that Rubicon includes with their model kit.

And that is because there was one more enhancement made during the T-26 M33 production series, during the 1935-1936 time frame, as shown here:

We have finally arrived at the top hull that Rubicon provides in the kit. Note the transmission access hatch and the new rectangular access hatch in the right rear for the oil and gas.

So ... while we cannot build the very early M33 (because of the turret), we can build the early M33, the mid M33 and the late M33. And no mods are needed for the late M33.  For the early and mid production versions, we have the transmission access hatch and fuel and oil filler cap issues as noted in the prior post.

Searchlights were NOT built on any M33 models at the factory during initial construction. But they were added to some models during later retrofit sessions, so they can be included without issue (especially if you are building one for 1941).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:51:51 am by EarlyWarGamer »

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2018, 03:49:16 am »
Continuing on with the T-26 M36 (cylindrical turret) model:

T-26 Model 1936 (produced 1936-1937) (447 built)
   How to recognize:
      One redesigned cylindrical turret with 1 round and 1 square hatch on top
      Small round jack now standard, mounted on right side of rear deck
      Horn repositioned, now standard, mounted to the left of the light on the front plate
      Light now standard, mounted on top of front hull, surrounded by folding armored covering
      Rectangular oil and gas access hatch (right-rear deck) now standard, replaces two small, round caps

Tool boxes frequently found in center of left and right track guards, by turret superstructure
      New steel road wheels
      Hull and turret now a mix of riveted and/or welded construction
      Larger hatch on left-front hull to access transmission
•   All were armed with a Model 1934 45mm L/46 20K cannon, and one coaxial DT MG
•   Most were armed with a second DT MG (ball mount on turret rear) (starting in 1936)
•   Most were armed with a third DT MG (turret top for AA purposes) (starting in 1936)
•   Some featured searchlights (starting in 1937) (every 5th vehicle)

T-26RT Model 1936 (produced 1936-1937) (1,376 built)
   How to recognize:
      Identical to Model 1936, with a horseshoe antenna around turret top
•   All were armed with a Model 1934 45mm L/46 20K cannon, and one coaxial DT MG
•   Most were armed with a second DT MG (ball mount on turret rear) (starting in 1936)
•   Most were armed with a third DT MG (turret top for AA purposes) (starting in 1937)
•   Some featured searchlights (starting in 1937) (every 5th vehicle)

The Rubicon kit does not include this turret at all. Which is unfortunate. The difference is that while the turret is the same size and shape (cylindrical) like the M33 turret, the M36 turret has one round hatch on one side, and one square hatch on the other.  Close to what you see on the top of the M38 conical turret.

So technically, you cannot build a T-26 M36 at all (unless you do some modeling).

I wish I had spotted this much sooner. I would have brought this to the attention of Rubicon. All they needed was one additional turret top piece on a sprue somewhere, and we would have the M36 model!

Here is a top view showing the change in the turret of the T-26 M36:

So the only way to build an M36 version is to model the top of the turret (specifically the two hatches).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:52:27 am by EarlyWarGamer »

EarlyWarGamer

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2018, 03:58:04 am »
Next up, the T-26 M38 (conical turret) model.

T-26 Model 1938 (produced 1938-1939) (472 built)
   How to recognize:
      One redesigned conical turret with 1 round and 1 rectangular hatch on top
      Spare track and spring now carried with spare road wheels on rear deck
•   All were armed with a Model 1938 45mm 20K cannon
•   All were armed with two DT MGs (coaxial and turret roof for AA purposes)
•   Few were armed with a third DT MG (ball mount on turret rear)

T-26RT Model 1938 Radio Tank (produced 1938-1939) (891 built)
   How to recognize:
      Identical to Model 1938, with a horseshoe antenna around turret top
•   All were armed with a Model 1938 45mm 20K cannon
•   All were armed with two DT MGs (coaxial and turret roof for AA purposes)
•   Few were armed with a third DT MG (ball mount in rear of turret)

The Rubicon kit has all the right parts for the M38.  But if you want to build a proper M38 do NOT use the superstructure shown in the picture (see page 6) on the far right. Use the superstructure shown in the middle of that picture. The M38 used the same superstructure as the M33/M36 models.

Here is a top view of the T-26 M38:

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:52:56 am by EarlyWarGamer »